Winter commuting pants/bottoms?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Winter commuting pants/bottoms?

As a new commuter, i have all my gear dialed in except for pants. Recently i wore 2 x pairs of thin tights and was cozy warm (down to 38 degrees) , but i need something more for colder, possibly snowier/wetter winter commutes. What do you like? I was gonna try tights with a pair of sweatpants that I sprayed with waterproofing. But, this doesnt cut wind, which hasnt been an issue yet. Thank you for uur tips. I have ordered 2 different amazon cycling pants, bt found movement restrictive and didn't love them. I'm hoping i dont have to buy $130 Rapha winter cycling pants!

high pivot witchcraft
    I wear winter tights (Mavic and Sugois) which are great down to about minus 10 C (got them both on sale for less than $50 each). Colder than that, or when it is snowing heavily, I wear a pair of waterproof (semi-breathable) shell pants I got from MEC years ago (for about $75) over either the tights, or over a base layer or base and mid layer. Been doing that for years now and have been able to bike through Calgary winters which can approach minus 40 C at times. For me, the much weaker links are hands, feet and face.

Maybe check the USA equivalent of MEC, which is REI. If you can snag something on sale, all the better. Good luck, and stay warm.

Human Test Subject
    Where is your winter?

Also, you generally get what you pay for with pants. Swrve makes some nice ones and you can get em on sale sometimes.

mtbr member
    My experience with waterproofing spray is that it doesn't work. I just wear thicker tights/leggings but if I was riding in the wet more often I would buy full-moo waterproof trousers. It just depends on how wet, how long, how cold, what changing/drying facilities you have and a bunch of other variables that are specific to you.

I don't ride in ice or snow, period. Every single person I know who does has come off. After almost sliding onto a busy main road one lightly frosty morning I thought 'feck this'. Not worth risking my life for.

CB of the East
    I wear a pair of these "Amazon Pants" over tights when it gets cold. I like them but make sure to buy a size larger than you think you need. https://smile.amazon.com/4ucycling-A...mal&th=1&psc=1
    Otherwise I just wear fleece lined cycling tights. Today was 16.5F and the tights were just barely enough. I am in the market for a new pair and trying to find the best bang for the buck so I'm following along here. I like to stay in the $50< range. Spending 3x that and finding out that they still aren't perfect is too disappointing.

mtbr member
    I usually put something over the thermal tights at about 5 degrees below freezing and colder.

I've been looking to replace an old set of hi-viz Fox pants (as in DH/moto type!) that I used for years until they wore through. My local moto warehouse closed down a few years back, and online prices are 2-3X what I was paying.

I have Gore and PI rainpants that are decently windproof and breathable, but available in a range of not-hi-viz colours that include black and also-black. And it seems like a waste to wear out a pair of $100+ rainpants (that are not the most durable anyways) when there is no liquid water around.

So I've come up with nothing, and am watching this thread.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Human Test Subject
    Twin Six four quarters are good to 20ish with a wool base layer. They're water resistant, but sub 20 I dont really encounter liquid water.

Sorry, all my suggestions are expensive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone have any experience with these Chinese jobs from Amazon. Tesla brand. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F2P7VJP...v_ov_lig_dp_it

The Tesla brand seems to have good reviews on tights and tops.

Look to be nearly identical, but a hair cheaper than the well-reviewed ones from 4ucycling listed above.

CB of the East
    ^^Those do look like a differently branded version of the 4cycling ones. If that's the case then they are good.

I ordered the fleece version of this one yesterday. I'll report on it once I try it out. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I wore some LL Bean wool long johns and a pair of jeans this AM and was fine at 14F, even going downhill at 20+ MPH. I find waterproof pants make me sweat so much they're only worth it if its very wet. I have a cheapo amazon pair at the office in case I want them but they've never been used.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I haven't ridden a bike in jeans since middle school. I don't really care for jeans (501 and similar are what I have) anymore as casual pants, they are just tolerable for sitting/standing around. I don't really like them for outdoor wear anymore if it involves any activity. They're heavy, inflexible, and they fall down and bag out at the knees and waist. Maybe I need some Dad jeans or something, but I cannot imagine riding a bike in most of my casual pants, including the couple of pair of jeans I still own, the jeans because they just suck and the khakis and others because the legs would get caught in the chain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^Those do look like a differently branded version of the 4cycling ones. If that's the case then they are good.

I ordered the fleece version of this one yesterday. I'll report on it once I try it out. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I took a flyer and ordered the Tesla pants. Came in today and seem pretty nice. Trim fit, but not tights, seem well made. Stretchy shell with fleece interior, zipped ankles and pockets (decent zippers!) and drawstring elastic waist. I'm 6-1, 200 plus, but on the thinner side and got size XL. Would not want any smaller (I tend to wear L rather than XL in things like sweatpants and shorts, but the length can be a problem--too short, 35" inseam). The length is adequate and because they have tapered ankles, short-legged fellas can survive them being overlong.

They are sufficiently trim that you can't wear them over much other than tights or a liner.

Tentatively recommended, especially for 24 bucks.

CB of the East
    I tried the ones I linked to above. No go for me. If I pull the crotch up so the pad sits in the right place the elastic waist is around my belly and the cuffs are above my ankles. It is truly amazing how poorly biking tights fit. I have pair of Nashbar ones where the elastic waist does't cover my azz crack. Somewhere in the middle would be nice.

I'm sending these back. I can't see my self ever going for them on purpose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Got in a ride with the Tesla's today, probably a little warm for them. Very nice. However, I don't have very big legs and I can see them being pretty tight if you are quadzilla.

Got in the first trail ride in probably a month today. It was 45 or so when I left the house and I felt chilled so I wore these. Well it got near 60 on the ride. Blinding glimpse of the obvious, but these are warm and too much for weather much above 50. But, quite comfortable on the trail and stood up to a few "pinnings" from my pedals without snagging or tearing.
    Last edited by TwiceHorn; 11-27-2018 at 01:34 PM.