Winter Commuting Cheat Sheet- Mtbr.com
    Did I catch a niner+?

Winter Commuting Cheat Sheet

Hey Guys,

I was going to go to a class from REI about winter commuting, it was free. However I could not make and I guess a lot of others could not either. So they sent us an email with this cheat sheet. Maybe it will help some of you out maybe it will not.

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...ZjI3Yjk0&hl=en

pink

Bedwards Of The West
    Good read, Thanks. I've seen that class offered and I wondered if I'd be to self-absorbed and arrogant to get anything out of it, since I am the supreme expert and all. There's a lot of stuff there that I'm sure we have all learned with experience, but that would have been a HUGE resource when I was just starting the winter commuting thing.

Clothing is the biggest thing I think you just have to experiment with and see what works for you. I appreciate how they basically say that everyone is different and not everything works for everybody. I have found my system over time, but there was a lot of trial and error there. This info could get you started down that path with a lot less expirementation.

Two complaints: No love for cyclocross bikes as an option, and they claim that changing a rear tire can be made more difficult by having disc brakes. What?
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 11-09-2009 at 10:11 AM.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Two complaints: No love for cyclocross bikes as an option, and they claim that changing a rear tire can be made more difficult by having disc brakes. What?
    I agree on the rear tire issue with discs, if anything it's a lot easier. I find my canti's just a pain in the ass when getting tire adjustments done.

pink

mtbr member
    Boy I feel lucky to live in the bay area. Half the content is geared towards a commuter riding in the snow! Props for doing that, but harder to do. As in hard bitter cold extremities!
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    I agree on the rear tire issue with discs, if anything it's a lot easier. I find my canti's just a pain in the ass when getting tire adjustments done.

pink
    I think they were talking about a Pugsley...to remove the rear wheel you have to get loose the brake caliper..as I understood...I'm building one.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ Why?

On a pugsley with disc brakes you have to move the caliper to get the wheel off? That's unpossible. Really?

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    right now I couldn't find exactly why..but here, second post...the guy sound pretty sure about it...(I know i read it somewhere too)

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=570137

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    now I remember...Pugs has a horizontal dropout...not vertical...so in order to pull back the wheel you need to get loose the brake caliper

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ aaahhh

so you have to pivot the caliper up a bit to slide the rotor out from underneath it. Makes sense. Still a design flaw. Couldn't they angle the dropout slightly down so that it wasn't an issue? You'd still have the chain-tightening properties of a horizontal dropout, but a slight downward angle as you pulled the wheel out to clear the caliper. Seems like it would work to me.

Members who have read this thread: 0