Winter Commute: Pics of you in gear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Winter Commute: Pics of you in gear

I've seen threads with pictures of people's bikes, but not of them dressed in their gear. This is my first year commuting (so my first winter) on a bike and I'd like to get some ideas of what to wear. Snow has started falling and it was 9 degrees today, my hands and feet were frozen. Post up some pics of what you wear and maybe a list (jackets, gloves, bags, socks, etc.).

weirdo
    You`re right- lots of pics of bikes, hardly any of riders. There are a lot of threads about winter gear lately, though- check out the "Snow Commute" and "Long Cold Winter Commute" threads that are probably both on the first page of the forum. Also, lots of good ideas here:
    http://www.icebike.org/ (although not updated recently)
    and another forum here:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...Winter-Cycling
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverJester
    I've seen threads with pictures of people's bikes, but not of them dressed in their gear. This is my first year commuting (so my first winter) on a bike and I'd like to get some ideas of what to wear. Snow has started falling and it was 9 degrees today, my hands and feet were frozen. Post up some pics of what you wear and maybe a list (jackets, gloves, bags, socks, etc.).
    Lead by example. In other words, you need to be the one to start with the pic posting!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

weirdo
    Old picture that`s already on the "Let`s See Your Commuter" thread- glad my wife was hanging out with a camera that day because who thinks to set up a camera when they go to work?

That bike is gone, but it`s almost exactly the same clothes I use now. Top to bottom:
    Helmet with a mini bungee around the left rear to hang a Superflash in nasty weather or if I ride in a high traffic area.
    Knit cap (want to experiment and see if ear warmers will work instead).
    Thin balaclava (sporting goods store).
    Not in this pic, but sometimes small goggles (Walmart motorcycle suplies).
    Light nylon shell (thrift store) or heavier Gortex jacket (full price at Cabelas).
    Goretex mittens- awesome! (another full price buy). Other days I use a combo of thin synthetic gloves from the supermarlet and/or heavier gardening gloves or canvas work gloves from wherever.
    Heavy polyester pants (bummed from my dad) or light nylon pants (end of season closeout at REI).
    Polypropelyne long johns bottoms (closeout at Sierra Trading Post).
    Whatever shoes seem prudent for the day.
    Whatever combo of socks I need including one or more pairs of cotton :0, synthetic, or wool.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

^ current

^ a couple years ago

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks mechBgon and rodar y rodar for contributing.

Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    Lead by example. In other words, you need to be the one to start with the pic posting!
    Well my example won't be great as I'm still trying to acquire the right clothing. But I'll try and take a pic of what I'm wearing so far between studying for finals this weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Awesome illumination mech! I need to get ahold of some of those for the sides of the trike. I'm lit up really well front-back, but the sides struggle.

I wasn't wearing the appropriate gear in this one, but here's the snowy scene:

My gear usually consists of a ghetto blaze orange hunting jacket for visability and warmth, a full face for the speed, and some gloves, goggles and jeans. Balaclava when it gets real chilly. That's the gist of my low-tech winter garb.

9 degrees is about as cold as I've needed to ride in, at the speeds I see on the trike it gets quite chilly though!
    Last edited by FFR Trikes; 12-17-2009 at 10:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Fixed it!

I ride this one in the winter since it's a bit heavier and gets better traction. The orange that's in the "show us your commuter" thread is my little crotch rocket. This is the SUV. I'm working on building a trailer for it so I can haul the single up to the trailhead from the house under electric power!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I recently shaved the beard - mistake.

Heavy weight polypro long-johns
    Heavy wool socks
    Fleece jacket and gloves
    Runners skull cap
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Commute: Pics of you in gear-mtbr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    here's my lazy behind when it was snowing.....just got to work at that time, my goggles are on the handlebars.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Winter Commute: Pics of you in gear-winter2.jpg

I ride year Round in Canada and Love it.
    Last week was -40 degrees Celcius with the windchill.
    Pretty much riding 1 gear after that. Cold but love it.
    I use a HybridBackpack instead of a Pannier because it allows me to take my backpack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecommuter123
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winter2.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	205.7 KB 
ID:	505826

I ride year Round in Canada and Love it.
    Last week was -40 degrees Celcius with the windchill.
    Pretty much riding 1 gear after that. Cold but love it.
    I use a HybridBackpack instead of a Pannier because it allows me to take my backpack.

-40?! You must be made of stern stuff mate. You don't have blades that come out of your knuckles like Wolverine by chance?

Adam

Members who have read this thread: 0