Who are you going to convince to ride on Bike To Work Day?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Who are you going to convince to ride on Bike To Work Day?

With less than a month to go, I am rallying my co-workers to ride to work.

My office is making it easy by sending out a company wide email as well as free meals and other perks.

One guy I had spent part of my lunch hour going over all the reasons, environment/health/fun, trying to convince him to do the 4 mile commute on bike. He barely budged, and I told him this conversation will be negative reinforcement for my ride to work, which is 45 miles from San Francisco to Sunnyvale.

A few other people ride regularly, and it won't be a big deal to get them out on Thursday.

And I teased one friend who I ride motorcycles with: he lives halfway between SF and work, so I rode the first 20 miles at fast 20mph+ pace. After he joins me, we start at a 15 mph pace which quickly becomes a 11mph pace. Not exactly hammer time on a 45 mile commute.

Bedwards Of The West
    I thought every day was Bike to Work Day. ????

Seriously, when is it? I'll tell some people how much less stupid they'd be if they'd ride their bike to work.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    May 21st!

Bedwards Of The West
    Boo, I'll probably miss it. Wife says she's having a baby that week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003

Denied..

At least with any kind of ties to the company.

I had been working with a Swiss colleague on promoting bike to work week. I contacted the HR dept for review - and upper management backed out - citing concerns with participation (not enough people within 10 miles) and liability. So my co-worker and I continued working on the event sans company support. We managed to drum up enough money from Swiss affiliates to enable us to offer a $400 bike for anyone who rode at least 2 miles on one day (simple drawing). After emailing the entire company the promotional flyer, you might say I was shaken down - (you know, being the guy who bikes in all the time). Even though I hadn't sent the flyer !! (I knew better and wanted to keep things low-key) In simple terms: no emails, no flyers - no ties with "work". My Swiss co-worker doesn't quite understand how America - the home of the free can be so restrained and unable to experience the freedom she preaches. It is ironic.

Ugh. Some people will never get it. This is the same company that has a yearly picnic, serves beer and apparently has no problem sending everyone driving home. That said, they may do away with that tradition soon - upper management has been changing hands. Here's to it changing a few more times, for the better.
    Last edited by Self Motivated; 04-29-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    SM: My work also denied the use of a Company wide email to contact coworkers to make a team for bike to work day/week. I feel your pain.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ ^^ Companies so dumb I can't even muster a reply. May they rot in their cars!

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    See if you can convince her to ride her bike to the maternity ward. Labor/work... it`s all the same, dude.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ Yeah, try that & you might not have the chance to have another!

weirdo
    No more? See- riding really does save money!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Facebook that so everyone will see it. It'll happen... most people want to they just need a nudge.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    No more? See- riding really does save money!
    hahahahaha

mtbr member
    My point is that we are regular bike commuters, but convincing your co-workers is the challenge.

weirdo
    45 miles makes you a "regular" bike commuter? Man, that puts me into subhuman category!

Seriously, though- I`m sure it is a challenge and I`m going to flake out on it again. If anybody wants help, advice, a little bike tuning, needs a few old parts from my "warehouse" etc, I`ll gladly do what I can. For the majority, who aren`t interrested in pedaling, that`s fine by me. I don`t see it as my calling to try changing anybody`s mind.

I Have Cookies
    Wow I forgot that was coming up! There is one guy that rides with me sometimes that might do it but he lives up a huge hill..... That's gonna be a fun one for him to get home, I might have to ride home with him for support. Everyone else forget it I won't even try they are not riders and live kinda far away from work anyhow!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    ill ride in and drive home. i work night shift 15 miles away, 950 feet up in that last mile, too much at 3am!

mtbr member
    Tell her to hold it until the 22nd.....problem solved
    Friends Don't Let Friends Drive

2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport
    2010 Bottecchia RS290 Cross

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    ^^^ Yeah, try that & you might not have the chance to have another!

Really? I'm on it. This is number 3

mtbr member
    I telecommute on fridays, so won't be riding (or driving) in that day. I did however ride in last thursday when it was bike to work day in Tempe. I tried to get others to ride in that day in my office, but even the people who are somewhat regular cyclists wouldn't ride in. The city even gave free breakfast and a t-shirt to anybody who rode in and I still couldn't convince them!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    45 miles makes you a "regular" bike commuter? Man, that puts me into subhuman category!

Seriously, though- I`m sure it is a challenge and I`m going to flake out on it again. If anybody wants help, advice, a little bike tuning, needs a few old parts from my "warehouse" etc, I`ll gladly do what I can. For the majority, who aren`t interrested in pedaling, that`s fine by me. I don`t see it as my calling to try changing anybody`s mind.
    Hell no!

I ride to the train (20 minutes) and from the train to work (20 minutes).

For training, I will mix up with driving and the train, like driving part way, take the train the rest, then ride back.

And on bike-to-work day, I am going to bike to work only. Taking the train all the way home.

But this isn't changing anyone's mind. Just nudging the undecided.

mtbr member
    I am going to have to be creative about biking myself to work that day, though I have a couple of ideas how.

Three dollar gas made me look less insane than otherwise while training, but the job requires personal vehicle use and pay by the hour means a bike is too slow here in the country. In NYC it would be faster if you could lock it up and still have it when you came back.

I have been encouraging bike use by biking a lot. I saw another commuting cyclist on Tuesday: three of us! Though I suspect he is a lost licence to drive, kind: necessary not an elected option.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Really? I'm on it. This is number 3
    You do know what causes that right?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

jrm
    mtbr member

BTWD is a big deal around here

mainly b/c we need all the positive cooperative alternative mode publicity we can get. For our agency we create a number of BTWD challenge teams from various functional groups in additional to staffing two energizer stations on BTWD. Today im stuffing goodie bags for BTWD. If any of you guys commute through Oakland please stop by our energizer stations located @ 111 W. grand.

Im with commuter boy though in saying hey everyday is BTWD...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am the convinced.

I'm joining a co-worker that rides in a few times a year. We are approaching the office from different directions so we won't be riding together at any point though.

Moderator Moderator
    Bike to Work Day has gotten a little watered down here by renaming it Way to Go! Commuter Challenge Week and promoting all types of alternatives to driving solo, including walking, biking, telecommuting, carpooling, taking the bus (free on the 21st!), etc. instead of just biking. Maybe this makes sense in a rural area, but the bike-centric version was more fun. I also preferred the old "free t-shirt for-all-participants" approach (still like my "Have an out of car experience" t-shirt) to the new "participants are entered in a drawing for prizes" approach. I will ask someone who has expressed interest before, but mostly just by example that makes it look do-able.

mtbr member
    Every day is BTWD, but on BTWD you stop every two miles and get free stuff. So, BTWD is like Christams, and the other days are BTWD. I would have to say that BTWD is my favorite holiday.

smell the saddle...

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    Every day is BTWD, but on BTWD you stop every two miles and get free stuff. So, BTWD is like Christams, and the other days are BTWD. I would have to say that BTWD is my favorite holiday.
    This should be your signature!

Bedwards Of The West
    People give out free stuff? I can pretty much guarantee that if I don't say anything, no one in my workplace, town...maybe even county will have any idea that bike to work day has come and gone. One of these years I'm going to leave home in January, ride all the way across the country, and get my free T-shirt on the east coast for Bike to Work Day.

weirdo
    One of these years I'm going to leave home in January, ride all the way across the country, and get my free T-shirt on the east coast for Bike to Work Day.
    Well I wouldn`t waste any time trying to get freebies in VT. Rumor has it that instead of a free T-shirt there you get entered in a drawing for something and THEN you`d have to ride all the way back and pick it up if you find out you won. Easier to just ride to Davis, SF, Portland, etc.

EDIT: or maybe you could just ride Lassen County and win a free venison comedy act on your way to work?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We don't get free t-shirts here either. But I will get some free cookies, cliff bars, water, bags and of course the pancake breakfast when I get into the office.

The only problem is I have to go a bit out of my way to hit any of the free stuff, if I want more then one stop it will be even longer.

Moderator Moderator
    People give out free stuff? I can pretty much guarantee that if I don't say anything, no one in my workplace, town...maybe even county will have any idea that bike to work day has come and gone. One of these years I'm going to leave home in January, ride all the way across the country, and get my free T-shirt on the east coast for Bike to Work Day.
    Post your size, maybe someone will send you a T-shirt, or at least a bagel!

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Isn't it Bike to Work Week?
    Never heard of bike to work day.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    Post your size, maybe someone will send you a T-shirt, or at least a bagel!

I'll take one XL bagel.

weirdo
    Big beagle?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Personally I hate bike to work day, I try to convince people who live close to work to ride daily.

The bike lanes are full of a bunch of morans who shouldn't be riding on the street, the showers at work are full, bike rack's full, plus it seems to be an invitation to shoe horn ones fat ass into some spandex.

It's pretty amazing to see some sweet bikes that are ridden once a year, some of will even catch a ride home and leave their bikes at work overnight.

/end rant/

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    I work at a bike shop, so we are encouraging everyone to bike to work. The many who do, us in the 'fixing bikes' part of the store do the slow clap for anyone who rides to work. I think it makes it seem like less of a necessity and adds some more fun to it.

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew7
    Personally I hate bike to work day, I try to convince people who live close to work to ride daily.

The bike lanes are full of a bunch of morans who shouldn't be riding on the street, the showers at work are full, bike rack's full, plus it seems to be an invitation to shoe horn ones fat ass into some spandex.

It's pretty amazing to see some sweet bikes that are ridden once a year, some of will even catch a ride home and leave their bikes at work overnight.

/end rant/
    Bike lanes, showers at work, bike racks - where the hell do you live and work? I think the majority of us would love to deal with those problems. There is NOT one bike lane in my town!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Let's give some incentives to people who bike to work. Commuter can leave home earlier by an hour if they have complete their work.

jrm
    mtbr member

So true

with spare the air day riders in a close 2nd.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    Bike lanes, showers at work, bike racks - where the hell do you live and work? I think the majority of us would love to deal with those problems. There is NOT one bike lane in my town!

I live in Fort Collins Colorado and work for HP.

I do consider myself to be pretty lucky.

mtbr member

BTWD is tomorrow here

So fired up, I don't know if I will sleep tonight. Need to plan my energizer station strategy

Good news is that 2 people at our office are going to give it a try. So out of 5 people that will be in tomorrow, 3 are riding. 60%

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew7
    I live in Fort Collins Colorado and work for HP.

I do consider myself to be pretty lucky, but I hate doing an extra mile on my way home to get my Amber Ales at New Belgium.

late but couldn't let it pass

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    60%
    Wow!

mtbr member
    Severe thunderstorms with possibility of damaging winds, tomorrow. Hmmm.

Those are the ones that can breed tornadoes. I'll see forecast tomorrow morning and at noon at the Doppler radar. I have a meet at 1:00 PM and can ride in to it and back home if there is a window then. I don't do lightning storms on a steel bike. I don't do severe TS at all after one too-close call. I also don't believe in martyrdom for the commuting cause. Maybe the sun will break out.

Ariolimax columbianus
    i teach high school, this year we got this http://projectbiketrip.org/ .....11 or so park stands and tools, all pro shizzle, teacher's been a bike mechanic for 20+ years...you know he can ride too.

this week's bike to work/school in santa cruz county. i'm hosting the event, so i picked up the food today, tomorrow get up extra early so i can leave by 6am for my 10 mile/45 min bike commute, meet a co-worker @ a coffeshop to get some extra java. i offered extra credit to students who ride + there's free food.....hopefully i'll get some takers and not just the regulars who i can count on one or two hands. sad thing is the bike shop teacher offered free tune-ups to faculty, nobody bit. we're in south santa cruz county, lotsa farms, hardly any student ridership....in north county, santa cruz city, over 50% of the high schoolers ride to school. it's hard to make bikes cool for some kids.

mtbr member
    BTW, riding a 29er with 2.3inch tires for 25 miles is suboptimal for a Bike To Work day vehicle.

Next year, it is going to be the road bike.

mtbr member
    Answer to thread: I talked myself into a sweaty ride.

Got to and from my meeting ahead of the storm. In fact I will try to get a heart ride in here in a moment as the weather looks to become unpleasant until Saturday.

Thanks for the thread. I probably wouldn't have tried so hard to work it in. Proved the carrier and laptop work well (see Post you Commuter thread). Have a rim or two to true. Par for the lousy RR X ing. Tires on the low comfy side but not low rolling resistance. I also pushed that barn door home into 20 mph winds gusting higher up the 5%? grade that's 1.5 miles of home in 42-26 which felt slow, but left me two more ratios and I wasn't working at seeeing how fast and sweaty I could get.

Hardest part was wrestling the bike (loaded, bike. Me? No, - I wish!) in and out of one of those old fashioned elevators with the outside and inside scissors grid doors.

mtbr member
    I have an RR Xing on my commute that crosses the bike lane at a 45 degree angle and I had to true my rear wheel pretty frequently because of it. In the last week they redid the Xing so now the bike path goes onto the sidewalk and then turns to hit the tracks at a 90 degree. It's amazing the difference that made! They had to take out the curb from the sidewalk to do it so somebody in Tempe likes bikes!

Looks pretty calm here today, first time in a long time that the ride home won't be a big fight against the wind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Solomon76; 05-14-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

smell the saddle...
    BUMP.

So let's hear the morning news and see the photos...? Today's the day! While I biked to work by my lonesome I could only think about the Xmas type commute some of you may be experiencing today. So let's hear it...

mtbr member
    I commuted for the 1st time ever yesterday. Enjoyed all 9 miles of it. With a 40mile commute home, I took a small detour I didn't commute today because........well...uh....I guess I don't really have a good excuse, SHAME ON ME! But I'll make up for it in the weeks to come. Now I am wishing I would have biked in today!
    Best thing about the trip yesterday morning was that when I made it to work most of my coworkers thought I was crazy but there were a few that I am a hero to them now....lol
    ¡uʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ ¡¡¡pəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    8.59 miles 41min moving time. 50 min total including 5 min stopping to sign in at the WABA pit stop, get a free shirt and pick up a few stickers.

Opted out of the coffee, donuts, bagels and fruit. Did not win the raffle for a floor pump that occurred while I was there so I pressed on. (don't ask me where I was going to stash the floor pump had I won it)

Passed 2 regular commuters far from the event and said good morning. Amused to see what everyone was riding on. All I can say is that I feel a whole lot better about my clapped out, pieced together 2005 GT Avalanche with 1.4" slicks on disc wheels.

On the way home I'll go a much more direct route and ride a little faster not worrying about sweating.

Bedwards Of The West
    I'm still bitter that there are places where they give out free food and have booths and raffles and people who think this day is different from any other day. Someone hit a skunk on my road last night so I had to ride through the skunk funk and dodge the carcass in the bike lane. That's the closest I got to a bike-to-work booth. Enjoy your bagels and donuts people.

Moderator Moderator
    CB, sorry for your skunk "prize"...If I win any of these in the VT commuter challenge raffle I'll let you know...

Burton Snow Boards ~ Two Snowboards
    Neuton Power, Country Home Products ~ Battery Powered 19” Mower ($499 value)
    Small Dog Electronics ~ The iPod nano (4 chances to win)
    Earl’s Cyclery & Fitness & Onion River Sports ~ Full Service Bicycle Tune-ups
    Evolution Physical Therapy & Yoga ~ 10 Class Card ($120 value, 2 chances to win)
    Chittenden County Transportation Authority ~ Two one-month passes, CCTA Link and Adult Passes ($150 value)
    Sugarbush Resort ~ Day-Pass for Ski and Ride Next Season ($82 value)
    American Lung Association of Vermont ~ Ski and Golf Privilege Card
    The Courtyard Marriott Burlington ~ Overnight Stay for Two
    Cynthea's Spa ~ Day spa treatment—Hot Stone Massage ($100 value)
    Leunigs on the Markeplace in Burlington ~ Two $50 gift certificates
    Three Tomatoes Trattoria ~ Two $50 gift certificates (good for Burlington, Williston, Rutland or Lebanon)
    Kevin Smith’s Sport Connection (St. Albans) ~ $10 gift card
    Duke’s Fitness Center (St. Albans) ~ Two one-month Gold passes
    Cosmic Bakery and Café (St. Albans) ~ $20 gift certificate
    Eloquent Page Book Store (St. Albans) ~ $25 gift certificate
    Rail City Market (St. Albans) ~ $25 gift certificate
    Hackett’s Orchard in South Hero ~ Pint of Maple Syrup
    Wally’s Bagels (Grand Isle) ~ 1 Dozen Bagels
    Islands Ice Cream (Grand Isle) ~ Sampler of 6 Various Flavored Pints

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Got my buddy to ride in from my house. The court house where we work has a thing outside with breakfast, coffee and prizes donated from local shops. Both of us won a helmet. It was a nice bonus and couldn't ask for a nicer day.

mtbr member
    Lucky for you all. Where I live I would be surprised that more then 1 in 100 people even know it's "bike to work day" let alone anyone be giving out prizes for doing so. At best I can hope for here is that the next car will not get pissed that I am using "their" road.
    ¡uʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ ¡¡¡pəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by wvmtb
    Lucky for you all. Where I live I would be surprised that more then 1 in 100 people even know it's "bike to work day" let alone anyone be giving out prizes for doing so. At best I can hope for here is that the next car will not get pissed that I am using "their" road.
    Well said and same thing here, although here it's more like 1 in 10,000.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^ If there were 10,000 people here I'd agree with you

weirdo
    No helmets here either. I was waiting for CommuterBoy to bring me a few of those doughnuts that he had one-handed in, but he never showed up

Members who have read this thread: 0