Who else uses a converted SS to commute?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Who else uses a converted SS to commute?

I don't know what it is about my SS but I love it after all of these years still. Some of you have seen it before. I built a SS out of spare parts. Nothing high end. I think tires and tall v-brakes were the only pricy things on it. Tires are large commuter 700c and I am using an old bonded Trek frame from 1998. I found an old GT fork that thought to match it so I painted the bike yellow and bought decals for a GT Zaskar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who else uses a converted SS to commute?-img_0143.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    $5 rockhopper from a garage sale and built into a ss commuter with spare parts, parts from other bikes and some new parts.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who else uses a converted SS to commute?-blazer-084.jpg  

Who else uses a converted SS to commute?-15977239_10154035615890303_8953907252977444301_n.jpg  

97 specialized rockhopper.- urban beater
    2013 GT aggressor 3.0- urban assault vehicle

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    See to me this is what is fun....taking something old and making it usfull and practical as well as unique instead of just throwing it in the trash. It's kinda like the old boys up in Nocal that ran the repacks on those old ballooner schwinns. Salvage what you can and beat your shit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalayon View Post
    See to me this is what is fun....taking something old and making it usfull and practical as well as unique instead of just throwing it in the trash. It's kinda like the old boys up in Nocal that ran the repacks on those old ballooner schwinns. Salvage what you can and beat your shit.
    Yup. Especially for those who don't have the greatest place to park a bike at work/school. Get a big ass chain & good padlock. Leave 'em there. Ain't nobody gonna mess with it. And if they do, you haven't lost much.

mtbr member
    I use an old Bontrager Privateer frame from the mid 90s converted to SS. Looks old and junky. Only bike historians would know it's special. And at least it's getting ridden everyday.

SS makes lotta sense for winter commuting.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post
    I use an old Bontrager Privateer frame from the mid 90s converted to SS. Looks old and junky. Only bike historians would know it's special. And at least it's getting ridden everyday.

SS makes lotta sense for winter commuting.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    I can see why. Specially going to a 1/2 chain. Winters around here means wet lube. Install fenders, maybe even a chain guard. After a nasty ride, take the chain off and soak it in used motor oil for an hour. Take it out, wipe it off and let it drip. Get up an hour early in the am. Install chain. Clean the bike? Why? Not gonna make it go any faster.