Who else here gets to commute primarily by bike path??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Who else here gets to commute primarily by bike path??

I'm very fortunate... I live in Colo Springs, CO (which in and of itself, ain't bad), and my 6.5 mile one-way route to work is nearly 100% bike path. The path literally goes right up to the property line of the company I work for.

Anyone else have it so good? I confess, I do not like riding my bike on streets with lots of traffic, stop lights etc. Kind of freaks me out a little.

-Eric

...a wiggle theres a way
    I don't have a bike path to work, but about 25% of it includes a bike lanes, the other 75% of it is on the street or a wide shoulder.
    Don't really have any issues with riding with traffic, with the Dinnotte rear tail light, and the see me green vest *most* people are respectful and move over (though i also try to extend the same courtesy and move to the right as much as safely possible so cars can roll quickly by me) - I really only have to deal with this on the commute home, because at 5 in the morning very few cars are present (i can honestly pick a lane and ride in it the entire way to work without issue!)

commute round trip is 36-42 (depending on which route i take)
    cheers
    -joe

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I have it just about as good as the OP. On my primary commute to work, I travel about 95% on a MUP with the remaining 5% on streets that are not busy at all.

My other commute to a second office is about 75% MUP and 25% side streets.

I consider myself lucky.

weirdo
    No MUT for me, but hardly any traffic either unless I detour to swing by the store on my way home. My direct "A to B" route is a mix of residential sreets, rural road, and a closed down miniature airbase.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Since I work at home, no commute for me. But I do live about 3 blocks from a local bike path that I take advantage of most every day after work. It does run right by a number of big companies so would be ideal for commuting if I worked at any of them. But this trail does end at a larger trail network and I try and plan my rides to make use of the bike paths to get to and from my riding areas, even if it ends up being a longer ride overall. Like one particular route it is 15 miles by bike path, both paved and gravel levee trails along San Francisco Bay or 5 miles by city streets. Going via the bike path is far more enjoyable and makes it part of the ride instead of just "5 miles dodging traffic".

mtbr member
    I wish! Here MUPs are minimum state width 2-lane streets with no sidewalks or shoulders. Mix of pedestrians, baby strollers, kids on bicycles riding salmon and traffic including medium trucks and the occasional heavy one, once school is out and on weekends. So enjoy your luck.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My commute is mostly street. Some are residential, some are not. Some parts are shared with rail, diesel bus, electric bus, taxi, double parked delivery trucks, and we cannot forget private autos right? There are four more sets of tracks underground. And that Google Maps car is illegally operating in a bus and taxi only lane.

One of many morning commute peloton
    Last edited by jseko; 05-27-2012 at 07:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Albuquerque, NM has a pretty nice set up with a lot of paths. One of which runs through about the entire west part of town along the Rio Grande. You can often get a large portion of your commute on a bike path (without too much other pedestrian and bicycle traffic). I definitely miss it now that I'm not there anymore haha

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I used to commute via bike path for my entire ride to and from. However, there were far too many intersections to deal with which made it more dangerous than being on the road. So, I adjusted my route and commute completely on the road now. I'm much more visible to drivers that way.

Some MUP's (Greenways and such) are really nice, if they have little traffic and don't run into intersections frequently. You are fortunate to have something like that to ride.

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    here in Switzerland, I stay off the roads as much as possible, my commute is 16kms one way, and I love it

end of winter

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kM_HtHb7jKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

start of summer

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Csmj4W4S5po" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love going to work
    Last edited by cmg; 05-28-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My short route is 1.5 km of MUP....4 km of residential roads and 2 km of Main road...

My long route is 2 km of main road.... 4 km of residential road...13 km of MUP....6 km of single track.

dirtbag
    The majority of my 12 km one way commute is on cobblestones. The rest is on gravel trails through the woods and farm land. I'm pretty lucky to have a stress free commute.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I commute about 4 miles on roads and the last 3 miles on MUPs. I tend to go slower on MUPs due to all the pedestrians and "human traffic." The road section is not too bad, there is enough shoulder or width that cars can get by without much issue.

But I am a little bit jealous of your all MUP commute--if that was the case for me, I would rock headphones.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My 28 mile rountrip contains 14 of MUT (along a river) and the rest roads that run through a State Park (along a lake...hardly any traffic). I have to cross one street with a light right outside my building. It doesn't get much better.

mtbr member
    About 7 miles of my 11 mile commute is on MUT. It's pretty nice most of the time. It's not plowed in the winter though, so I need to use roads when there is snow.
    '19 Surly Krampus '18 Soma Wolverine '16 Giant Anthem SX '12 Soma Analog SS '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '86 Fuji Club

Bedwards Of The West
    I've got singletrack, but it adds a couple miles. Totally worth it. Even with that, I'm about 4 miles on the road. I live in the sticks though, so the "road" doesn't necessarily imply "traffic"
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

CB of the East
    I think if I did have the choice I'd take the road. The MUT around here is so busy I generally avoid it on the bike. Maybe it would be OK during commuting hours.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a lot of nice commuting routes on here! I particularly envy that Swiss bike ride to work--nice!!

mtbr member
    In Ottawa, Ontario, where I used to live, I had the option of taking MUPs for my 9km commute, almost door to door. And I never did. The MUP was a meandering hell-path full of strollers, rollerbladers, oblivious pedestrians and tons of Canadian geese. I'll take ignorant aggressive drivers any day.

I grew up in the prairies, and had a ~10km commute in a small city that was decidedly un-bike-friendly. I got screamed at and sworn at on a daily basis. Everything since then has seemed tame.

Living in a dense urban core in Toronto now, my biggest foes along my 4km commute are other cyclists and the dreaded e-bikes. Winter is wonderful because all the good weather cyclists get off the road, despite there being no snow. More road for me.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    My commute used to be 8.5 miles of dirt through a local canyon. My companys building sits right next to the canyon with a trail leading down. I could literally ride out of my garage and be on the trail in 2 minutes. That was awesome and we have showers at work so I could clean up when I got there.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    My commute is all on MUTs except the first mile. Im pretty lucky, Denver has a great network of trails and one passes by my work. I actually go a little out of my way to make sure I can commute on MUTs, I dont mind the extra couple of miles. I actually ride a lot on MUTs the only time I am on the road is when I am climbing. Denver and Colorado in general is pretty bike friendly and makes commuting pretty easy.

Rolling
    I commute less that a mile one way on a road.

That comes out to 12.5%

And some is on dirt by a creek.... I love my commute.

I dream on two wheels
    My 12 mile commute is about 10 miles of MUP. Denver is great. You can string together a 100+ mile MUP ride pretty easy too.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I believe I have the best of both worlds on my commute.

I have access to the network of bike trails that run throughout the city and I also have a more direct route that is half gravel/half paved.

I usually take the gravel route to work as it is about half the distance of the bike trail route. This allows me to sleep in a few extra minutes too.

Since I'm not in as much of a rush to get home, I'll take the bike trail which is about 14-15 miles. It's plenty of time to squeeze in some training on the way home; intervals, random sprints, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    That was awesome and we have showers at work so I could clean up when I got there.
    Same here, we have a shower/locker room/and even a mini-gym. It's nice to be able to shower and change clothes for work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I stick to bike lanes and (preferably) curb lanes. Around here bike paths are overpopulated with foot traffic.

Jamis Dragon 29 Race

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcscars View Post
    Albuquerque, NM has a pretty nice set up with a lot of paths. One of which runs through about the entire west part of town along the Rio Grande. You can often get a large portion of your commute on a bike path (without too much other pedestrian and bicycle traffic). I definitely miss it now that I'm not there anymore haha

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    I use the trail for about half of my ride to and from work

mtbr member
    I can do @90% of my commute on bike paths but I often take the road instead to save time. I ride along the Charles River bike path into downtown Boston and it gets pretty congested with bikers, joggers, bums, freaks, lovers, kids, dog walkers, and general all-around psychos.

After thousands of miles of riding on the roads I actually had my first ever crash on a road bike a few weeks ago and it was on the bike path at a pretty good clip. I enjoy the bike path after a few post work beers with the co-workers. Wait, what was the question again?

mtbr member
    I get about 90% trail right now, but that is only because the Muni of Anchorage is doing some road/trail work. Once that is completed I will be back to 99.9% of my commute on trail. I even have the option of mixing it up with MUT and single track, if I want. I, too, am fortunate that my office backs directly to the bike trail and my house is half a block from the MU connector.

Bicycle Radical
    About half of my commute is MUTs, 40% on small residential roads, and the other 10% on fairly busy suburban thoroughfares.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
    I'm very fortunate... I live in Colo Springs, CO (which in and of itself, ain't bad), and my 6.5 mile one-way route to work is nearly 100% bike path. The path literally goes right up to the property line of the company I work for.

Anyone else have it so good? I confess, I do not like riding my bike on streets with lots of traffic, stop lights etc. Kind of freaks me out a little.

-Eric
    I used to live in Penrose. I would drive to the park and ride at Tejon and I-25, then ride 9 miles via the Santa Fe Trail to the Sinton Trail to work at the end of Garden of the Gods road. Loved it! 18 miles a day wasn't too bad.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    Out of the 13 mile commute I make daily about 9 miles of it is on a bike path along the canal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've got a 7 mile commute. all but maybe a mile of it is on the Lakefront path running along Lake Michigan. I love it in the morning because it is all people going to work or training (bike and foot). The way home is a bit busier, but since I am heading home I can take my time and not worry too much.

Course the part that isn't path is right in the heart of downtown chicago, not the most fun.

jrm
    mtbr member

I could..

but the segments of the MUT are split up with street crossings. Crossing some of the streets is a royal pain so i stick to the class I and II network b/c it's faster.

Ride on

Pedal Damn It!
    I can ride the bike path to work but it's not as good of a ride as the hills through the neighborhoods. My commute is only 3 miles so it's a short one with lots of elevation change.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    90% of my ride into work (Seattle to Bellevue) is on bike path.

mtbr member
    About half my 34 mile RT commute is on MUPs. I believe it is the most dangerous part of the commute, especially on the way home. I have had two accidents with people going the other way hopping into my path. Unfortunately there aren't any other good options for commute time, but on the weekends I take the road if I am riding the same route.

mtbr member
    My commute is about 7 miles one-way. I ride 1 mile or so on the street (no bike lanes) then 5 miles on a shared bike/pedestrian path along the beach/Gulf of Mexico. The last mile is mostly on a USAF base where the streets are wide and drivers are generally very good. I have a couple of alternate routes, but depending on the time of day traffic can be heavy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Commute to work

I think I have it best. I commute 20 miles round trip. I take no roads. Sidewalk for a block then jump on the paved rails to trails, Macomb orchard trail here in SE Michigan. I get off the trail at the back lot of my work.

I cross 7 two lane roads and there is an over pass that crosses a four lane highway, just a little hill.

Best ride ever

Members who have read this thread: 0