Who clips in for their commute?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Who clips in for their commute?

Someone gifted me a set of clipless pedals and I'm giving them a go on my commuter bike. Never ridden them before but I feel like it will be easier to get used to them on the road rather than the woods.

So, how many of yall use clipless pedals for commuting?

mtbr member
    I do.

Suggest for learning clipless. Go to a park with a large field of nice...soft...grass. Pedal around hit the brakes coming to controlled stop, practice unclipping. Do this for 15-20 minutes. Then pedal around and hit the brakes in "panic stop" mode as you continue to practice unclipping.

Far better to do a horizontal trackstand in a safe grassy field while learning than to do it on pavement in moving traffic.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

Endo King
    I do. Trust me, if you're doing any kind of distance, the option to pull up vice mash will make you glad you put them on.
    "I didn't surrender. They took my horse and made him surrender..."
    -Chief Lone Watie

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    I do.

Suggest for learning clipless. Go to a park with a large field of nice...soft...grass. Pedal around hit the brakes coming to controlled stop, practice unclipping. Do this for 15-20 minutes. Then pedal around and hit the brakes in "panic stop" mode as you continue to practice unclipping.

Far better to do a horizontal trackstand in a safe grassy field while learning than to do it on pavement in moving traffic.
    I'm in chicago so I substituted my alley for the park. Got quite used to them. I wanted to make sure I didn't tip right over in the middle of the bike path and cause a Tour-style crash.

mtbr member
    Using PD M540 for suburban commuting, 100 miles/ week.

Sent from my N880 using Tapatalk 2

Rolling
    I not only do clipless, I use keen sandals. Pop them off at work like Mr Rogers and throw on the work shoes!

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'll commute in to work on my racing bike when I work somewhere where I think it's safe. So in that circumstance, yeah, I clip in. I leave some normal shoes at the office.

The bike I have set up to be a commuter has old-school clips and straps, though.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

weirdo
    I took the clickies off my main ride when I started doing longer distances and don`t miss them a bit. Those tiny little platforms that somewhat wrap around the spring clips (or not) really make my feet hurt after a few hours. With BMX pedals, my feet usually feel good for about as long as my butt does and I never have to concern myself with what shoes to wear.

YMMV.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I use clipless because I only have one bike and I'm not really keen on changing parts all the time.

The trick to clipless is just to practice (ride) a lot. Eventually it becomes second nature and you don't think about it.

Moderator Moderator
    I use them (time atacs) on the cross bike, but not on the trails or in snowy weather, where I prefer the speedier release of pinned platforms.

CB of the East
    Depends on what I am riding:
    Dedicated Commuter - Flats so I can wear whatever shoes are appropriate.
    Mountain & Cross bike - time atacs
    2 road bikes - SPDs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Depends on what I am riding:
    Dedicated Commuter - Flats so I can wear whatever shoes are appropriate.
    Mountain & Cross bike - time atacs
    2 road bikes - SPDs
    +1 Time ATACS.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have clipped in for the past 7 years...commuting trails everything...

Summer/Winter...

Way more control, never has an issue clicking out

Bicycle Radical
    I do but only as a luxury. I put the clipless on my commuter bike because I liked them after having ridden them on my MTB for a while.

Time ATACs FTW.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I do. Crank Brothers pedals, with mountain-bike shoes. The cleats are mostly recessed, so I can walk into a store for errands on the way home if I need to.

Trail Blazer

mtb shoes

Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    I do. Crank Brothers pedals, with mountain-bike shoes. The cleats are mostly recessed, so I can walk into a store for errands on the way home if I need to.
    mtb shoes ftw you can walk around comfortably. i use spd for commuting and mtb

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    I do.

^^^ This because inevitably you will fall and it is better to get used to the feeling of when you are about to vs. getting laughed at at a stop light. Plus 75% of the crashes you will experience will be slow speed as you are coming to a stop and inevitably forget to clip out.

I use SPD M520 (cheap and adjustable) with my mtb shoes. I have a 6 mile one way commute and feel that I have better control than with the standard flats my Jake originally had. I have M530s on my mtb so I dont have to worry about special shoes for each bike. At work, I have my work shoes at my desk.

jrm
    mtbr member

Commuting a good place to start

using clipless. Just dont panic.. i know easier said then done. Been using flat pedals on my CX SS. spinning with flats is interesting.

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    I not only do clipless, I use keen sandals. Pop them off at work like Mr Rogers and throw on the work shoes!
    +1 for sandals! I've got the shimano spd sandals with Time cleats. I use them everyday on my commute in the summer.It feels great to have your toes free while riding.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Always. Well, always in the non-snowy months. In the winter I switch over to platforms; mostly because I havent' wanted to spend the 200 or so bucks for a pair of winter cycling shoes and a lot of folks up here mention that the clip plate often transfers the cold into the shoe when it gets 0 or below.

It does make a big different being clipped in.

mtbr member
    I clip in. it's just nicer for the ride, regardless of the distance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    After three days I'm loving it. I feel like I get a bit more power or speed. My shoes are a bit larger than they should be so the cleats are far forward, but I can deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'd clip in if they made clipless pedals with 1/2" diameter threads to go with my vintage Ashtabula cranks

weirdo
    Clipity-doo time for Wschruba!
    Wouldntcha know it, Look made one pair of them JUST FOR YOU! Carbon, no less!

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I do. I have some ugly but functional Shimano lace up clipless shoes that I wear. Tried using clips/straps once this week and it s u c k e d. I do like BMX flats, but don't have any to use on either bike at the moment, so I'm 100% clipped in. Clipless are great, no matter how much I would like to run pinned flats.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Clips and straps take a little getting used to. I used them for mountain biking for a little while before I got my first set of clipless pedals, and I went back to using them on my commuters several years ago. While high-quality complete systems are getting harder and harder to assemble, they have the advantage that I can ride my bike in whatever shoes I happen to be wearing and get most of the stability I like with my "real" pedal systems.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I use Crank Bro's Mallet C's so I can use my mountain SPD's or just roll with sandals. Had over 12k miles on one set before I had to replace bearings.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Clips and straps take a little getting used to. I used them for mountain biking for a little while before I got my first set of clipless pedals, and I went back to using them on my commuters several years ago. While high-quality complete systems are getting harder and harder to assemble, they have the advantage that I can ride my bike in whatever shoes I happen to be wearing and get most of the stability I like with my "real" pedal systems.
    Yeah, people keep saying how you need to practice with clickies, but IME, they`re a lot easier to use than clips and straps. Of course, stainless clips with leather straps are just about the coolest looking parts you can put on a bike! And they work with any SHOES, but not with the hiking boots that I often wear in the winter or with my work boots if I make a mid-shift burrito run.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I can just cram my work boots into my toe clips, but it's definitely pushing it. Toe clips, straps and running shoes are a pretty decent system for me, though.

And yeah - while the different motion to get out of clipless took me a couple falls to really internalize, for me, the big advantage of clipless (aside from availability of better shoes) is usability. So much easier!

mtbr member
    SPDs on my commuter, XC, and cyclocross (which doubles up as my roadie). Even my Moulton (with tiny 20" wheels) get it's own SPD pedals. Single system. I do have different SPD shoes for my commuter which are more comfy to walk in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishy View Post
    SPDs on my commuter, XC, and cyclocross (which doubles up as my roadie). Even my Moulton (with tiny 20" wheels) get it's own SPD pedals. Single system. I do have different SPD shoes for my commuter which are more comfy to walk in.
    What shoes do you use for the commuter?

Classic Campy with toe clips on errand bike. I have stuffed winter boots in them: just pushes the toe clip a bit.

Dual-sided Well-go 'campus' pedals, on the good bike. Allows boots in winter. Currently toting street shoes if I use that bike to commute. A nice walkable spd shoe might be a good birthday present.

BrianMc

weirdo
    Moulton pics, Fishy!
    And I hope you know that the "tiny" 20s are big for a Moulton- is yours a TSR?

mtbr member
    I just changed my straps over to spd's. They were a nuicance stopping and starting as I have a few railcrossings and busy intersections to deal with and I also use my commuter to mix up my training. I wear steel caps boots to work and with the hard sole it doesn't make much difference with those or flat pedals.

mtbr member
    Clip less hands down been riding them for 15 years and flats just feel weird as for anybody who says they are uncomfortable well that is a issue with your shoe and cleat position also for newbies the learning in the field is a good idea but I learned by propping my bike in a narrow hallway and just sat leaned up against the wall clipping and unclipping until I got it down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Moulton pics, Fishy!
    And I hope you know that the "tiny" 20s are big for a Moulton- is yours a TSR?
    Hey BrianMC, I use Shimano MT42. I am sure there are others which look better and feels even more comfortable. I just bought the pair which was on closeout. ;-)

rodar, I ride a Moulton AM GT with 17" wheels. I do have a TSR frameset on order which I will take my time to properly pimp out. It will take some time now coz I am skint for the next few months.

mtbr member
    Moulton when I got it. It has XT SPD pedals now.

weirdo
    OOooooo. Fishy, thats definitely sweet! Separable model, even. AMs are as rare as hens teeth here in North America, but there are getting to be more around now that Pashley is making the "cheap" line- one of these days I hope I get an opportunity to feel that famous silk ride for myself. Thanks for the pics!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sometimes, my main bike has platforms but my CX bike has Candy's and I wear Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes to ride it. I keep sneakers at work for comfort and to save wear and tear on the bike shes.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I do! My old commute had some pretty good hills so clipping in made a huge difference. Now I only have to ride 2 blocks on flat ground

mtbr member
    That Moulton reminds me of the old "Birdcage" Maserati Tipo 61!!

1959 - 1960 Maserati Tipo 61 Birdcage - Images, Specifications and Information

GoatRidesBikes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I can't even imagine not clipping in anymore, I had a loaner bike a few years ago when I first got here and I had to learn how to cycle again without clipless pedals.. Another vote for Time ATAC's, I think they are easiest to clip in (and out) off although the Cane Creek eggbeaters are hard to beat as well.

Teen Wolf
    i clip in on all my bikes. i have nashbar sandals for commuting/riding around, $50 ftw. screw more than doubling that for some keens/shimano sandals

mtbr member
    I always ride clipless. Time pedals on my mtb commuter and SPD-SLs on the roadie. I leave a spare pair of shoes at work so I don't have to carry them in with me.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by ft atmodjo View Post
    Using PD M540 for suburban commuting, 100 miles/ week.

Sent from my N880 using Tapatalk 2
    M540 and M324's are my pedals of choice. I use them on all of my bikes. 250-300 mi a week commuting and recreational riding on those bikes. I have used Crank Bros pedals in the past with great success. Generally I've been quite happy with the same pedal setups that you see at CX and MTB races.

Members who have read this thread: 0