where to park your bike- Mtbr.com
    ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007

where to park your bike

I'm gonna start commuting to work and I was wondering where to park my bike. I live and work in a small town and I don't think people would really stop and look if someone was steeling my bike so my question is park and lock it where its hidden or not really worry about it and park it somewhere convenient.

Thanks in acvance

nathan bay
    Apr 2007

A couple of options....

Do you have any friends that live close to your work place? if so arrange to put it in their garage.
    Buy a good lock and put it somewhere extremely public so it's obvious if someones trying to steal it.
    I highly recomend not hiding your bike.

bui
    Ain't afraid of no ghosts
    Is taking it in with you an option?

You ran this race with no real heart
    Yeah right back at the start
    You'd already lost it

local trails rider
    When I park a bike that is worth anything I want to lock it to a solid object. If I can pick a place, it is either very public or with restricted access.

high plains drifter
    If I can see it it's locked up. If I can't see it it comes with me.
    Adorn your bike with xtr and there is no lock that can protect it.
    Humble self-proclaimed nothing.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    I'm gonna see if I can take it in with me but I work on the 8th floor so I definitely wouldn't be able to see it. the fear of it getting stolen has kept me from commuting on my bike for awhile now and I'm trying to get over that fear.

Steeeeeeve PERRY!
    Don't risk locking it up...I've had my bike stolen, all why I was in a 50 minute class. I locked it up to one of the busiest places I could find and someone still managed to get away with it. I had the lock go through my rim, up through my fork and around my headtube and back down. Someone just cut the lock with a lock cutter or some ****. I would advise you to take it with you or don't take it at all. It's not worth risking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

get a cheap commuter

Get a cheap commuter instead. Something old but good, thieves will only really look for the shiny and new looking normally. OR take the front wheel off and take that into office. anything that makes it a little tricker for the thief to deal with and sell on

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My bike (00 Rockhopper, all XT components, except for XTR v-brakes and wheelset) stays with me in my cubicle.

If for some reason I couldn't bring it to my cubicle, our office does have bike racks outside the front lobby that I would be comfortable with. HOWEVER, our complex is extremely safe and some people don't even roll up their windows in the summertime. No way would I leave my bike out in the open if I had to take it to school, the mall or almost anyplace else.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yea, my bike rides with me on the elevator and into the office.
    if its late...and there's no one here....i ride right down the halls! x
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I park inside at work. Bike theft isn't really an issue around here. Get two locks. A good cable or chain lock and a U-Lock. That means the thief is going to have to have defeat two locks. More time, so it's more risk, less likely to have all the tools to do both types.

Red Rider
    I take my bike in with me at my job. I work on a shipping dock/warehouse type environment. I leave it parked under the stairs at the job. I actually have to go past a guard shack, past the front gate, then ride in for 1/10th of a mile, then take it into the building. I'm the only guy that rides a bike to work so everyone knows who I am and would probably alert me if they saw the bike leaving the premises with someone else.

Fear of my bike being stolen is the very reason I haven't been running errands on it like I want to. Thinking about getting a pawn shop beater for that purpose. Now I need to figure out where I'm gonna store 6th bike in a small studio loft....
    RIDE OR DIE...

Red Rider
    I take my bike in with me at my job. I work on a shipping dock/warehouse type environment. I leave it parked under the stairs at the job. I actually have to go past a guard shack, past the front gate, then ride in for 1/10th of a mile, then take it into the building. I'm the only guy that rides a bike to work so everyone knows who I am and would probably alert me if they saw the bike leaving the premises with someone else.

Fear of my bike being stolen is the very reason I haven't been running errands on it like I want to. Thinking about getting a pawn shop beater for that purpose. Now I need to figure out where I'm gonna store a 6th bike in a small studio loft....
    RIDE OR DIE...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    In side at work, not locked.

I almost never lock it cause it comes in with me, stores, barber etc. If they don't want my bike they con't want my business, and I keep it clean so they shouldn't have a problem.

Haven't had a problem yet...

Feb 2008
    I like the idea of taking the front wheel off.

mtbr member
    I take my bike to my cubicle, it gets a little cramped. they added sliding doors recently so my bike no longer fits. maybe my road bike but not the mt. bike.
    I bypass security by riding the bike into the basement parking structure then taking the elevators up to my "office space."

my lbs told me that everyone of their customers who have locked their bikes in the underground parking have had them ripped off. the security guards and maintenance workers can casually defeat your locks while out of view.

they have out side bike racks that the conveniently place out of sight so the thieves can easily break the lock while out of sight.

mtbr member

U-lock and spray paint

I have a storage room to park in, but about town I use a U-lock and ride a beater. After my wife had her bike stolen in the middle of the day, I started spray painting our commuters to ruin the resale value.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    two words... Brooklyn Chain

check it out, its not thief proof but it will deter all but the most determined thiefs. wrap it TIGHT,

I park mine in my office though. I dont think my boss likes it that much, but TFB, i dont care if it is in-line with socal attitudes
    Let The Good Times Roll

My Brain Hurts!
    My bikes go inside with me, every time, everyplace I have ever worked. I even took it into school with me and parked it in my shop class...

I have not worked in a multi floor building, but perhaps you could find somewhere safe to stash it...maybe even in your office area?

Mine sits right in my office now...when I worked sales for a large retail chain the bike was stored either in the break room or the shipping area, out of the way. (Different managers were the reason for the shift in location)
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I second the Kryptonite New York Series Chains. Its sucks to carry around but the only way to get through it is to make a huge scene, someone is sure to notice. Also they have a bike replacement plan (pay a fee) and it insures your bikes against theft if the chain is cut by thieves.

mtbr member
    After the rains the roads now have bumpy and sunken patches not to mention the pot holes. I'm thinking about commuting with my mountain bike except it is too big to fit inside my cubicle. I will never leave this bike locked outside. Soo, I was thinking about bringing in my Matrix, I can u lock and cable lock the bike to the tie down loops inside the cargo bay. I have an alarm and dark windows and can use the car cover to keep the whole thing out of sight and out of mind.
    Im'a ranting here to get up the nerve to commute once or twice a week.

mtbr member
    about the "noticing" part. I wonder if anyone has seen the video on youtube where they supposedly steal a couple of bikes (the bikes and locks are their own) as a test how people walking by would react. No one reacted even when they were using big cutters and someone even helped the so-called thiefs in one of their attempts.

mtbr member

May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekes
    about the "noticing" part. I wonder if anyone has seen the video on youtube where they supposedly steal a couple of bikes (the bikes and locks are their own) as a test how people walking by would react. No one reacted even when they were using big cutters and someone even helped the so-called thiefs in one of their attempts.
    I would love to do a "To Catch a Bike Thief" Series.

If I was going to do it with a couple of friends there wouldn't be a camera, only tackling the person as soon as they hop on the bike.

Anything to put fear into the thief.

Made in Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekes
    Well, I just lost faith in human kind... and also lost $80 out of my pocket just so I can buy this lock: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/153...Key-U-Lock.htm

I can see that commuting on campus next year is going to be fun... time to get my bike a nice new horrible looking paint job.

Anyways if I were you, do as everyone else has said, bring it inside if possible. Another option (which I'm looking at) is making my old bike into a beater. (Paint over ALL name brand components and give my frame the worst paint job the world has ever seen, I can't wait for this )
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    send pics!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0