When do you dry or clean your bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

When do you dry or clean your bikes?

I'm setting up a commuter bike now and just wanted to know how often you clean your bike up?
    What do you do when your bike is in the rain or your commuting in the snow?

I Have Cookies
    when its really rainy I like to clean my bike onece a week usualy on sundays..... when it's not so rainy I'll do it every two weeks or so.
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I never dry my bike. I keep it inside and it dries off by itself.

I rarely clean my bike. Why bother? It's just going to get dirty again. And the layer of grime protects the paint.

I do clean and lube my drivetrain. Usually once a week in the winter (depending on how much it has been raining), less often in the summer.

If I lived someplace where the roads were salted on a regular basis I would probably clean my bike more. Here in the Seattle area we don't really have to worry about that.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I wipe the moisture off with a rag, after a rainy ride. Come spring I probably clean the braking surface of the rims again and maybe go over the frame with some simple green or something. Leave it out in the sun to dry.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Since I'm on the road more than trails, it stays pretty clean. Regardless, I make sure it stays clean because I bring it in the workplace, and I'm a clean-freak to boot. If I ride in the rain, it only takes 5 minutes at the most to wipe it down with a rag, and I wouldn't know what riding in snow is like since I live in Florida.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    When in a pinch, I clean my drivetrain only. Cassette, chain, and crakset. If I have rim brakes, I clean the brake track. Keeping the chain as clean as possible extends the life of your rings, chain, and cassette.

Otherwise I try to wash my bike at the same time I wash my car since I already have the bucket outside.

One Colorful Rider
    In the spring. From December to March I run 44X17 Fixed in Far Northwest Suburb of Chicago.

weirdo
    I give mine a full bath whenever the mood strikes me. Durring the winter, that mood never seems to strike, so I just lube the chain and RD when it starts getting noisy or doesn`t shift right any more. It makes sense to give it more attention when the nasty salt/sand crap is all over the roads, but I can`t bring myself to sit outside in the mud or ice with a bucket of water and go to it.

Dry a bike? I don`t dry anything- hair, dishes, bicycles, hands, whatever- it all dries by itself with no help from me.
    Recalculating....

Off the back...
    In the winter I lube the chain when it gets crusty, but other than that, I wait for the spring rains to wash the bike off.

local trails rider
    I clean my bike when it gets dirty.

I don't worry too much about getting the frame really clean but I try to get the worst off the drivetrain, wheels and brakes, after a ride in dirty conditions.

Jul 2007
    This is slightly OT but reading everyone's comments above about lubing the drivetrain reminded me of something that his been driving me batty since I started commuting last December: commuters who apparently never lube their drivetrain. I can not tell you how many commuters I pass each week where the drivetrain is making a ton of noise because of a lack of lube. I guess that maybe they don't know that their drivetrain could/should be essentially silent or maybe it just built up so gradually that they don't notice. Either way, it drives me nuts - I find the sound to be as annoying as fingernails on a chalkboard.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I know exactly what you're talking about. Could be ignorance of proper bicycle maintainence. Could be that they're just used to hearing the sound every day and don't even notice. Could be that they're new to bicycling and don't realize that it isn't a car or a motorcycle, it's not supposed to be making all that noise.

Another thing I notice is what sounds like an out of tune derailleur. It's not enough out of line that their chain is jumping around, but just enough that it's rubbing on the front or it's out of line in the back and the chain is straining to stay on the cogs and derailleur wheels.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Lube my drive train regularly, wash my bike only if I'm going to dump too much muck in the car or house, otherwise just leave it eau naturale!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

mtbr member
    I only lube the chain and cantilever pivots if they stick.... other than that fenders keep the bike clean.

mtbr member
    I degrease and lube the chain, clean the derailleur cage and cassette, maybe every three or four weeks during the rains. I pick up a lot more grime when it's wet. Other than that, I try to to lock the bike in a covered area to give it opportunity to dry. When I install fenders for the rainy season, I usually shoot some lube down the cable housing and grease up the headsets and the seatpost (to keep it from rusting in place). I also keep an eye the brake pads, they wear more quickly when wet. When I know it's going to be really wet, I'll sometimes wrap and tape up my saddle with grocery bags.
    I'm gravity challenged, adrenaline deficient, and looking for that endorphine high. Shout out, I'll move out of the way. :-)

Oct 2009
    I was kind of wondering this same question as this is my first winter commuting. I guess I'm asking from the salt standpoint though. I usually don't ever wash my bike.. the elements seem to do a good job cleaning my bike when nature feels up to the task. I just recently though got my first rust on my bike, and it got me thinking into rust prevention. I try to wipe off any noticeable salt, but I doubt that does much, I'm sure there's still salt there,.. and it would be a pretty big pain to wash my bike in the winter where it's never above freezing and yea, I'm living in an apartment.

I had asked my dad for tips for salt/rust prevention. He mentioned that he knew some bikers (the louder type) that used to wipe down their bikes with a rag that had a little bit of motor oil (i.e. 5W-30) on it. I guess this would prevent the moisture and salt from getting to the paint. Has anyone ever tried this? Or heard of it being done?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Commuter bike - NEVER!
    Trail bikes - as needed.

Bedwards Of The West
    For the commuter, I keep it inside on both ends of the ride, but it still gets really nasty in the winter living in the Sierras. Yesterday it was so covered with red cinder dust from the gravel that they use (instead of salt thankfully) on the icy roads that I couldn't take it anymore and I wiped it down when I got home. Now I'm back at work and it's covered with that crap again from the rainy ride this morning. I'd say a quick wipe-down once a week or so, a complete cleaning every month or three, and way less in the summer. I lube the chain every week or so...can't stand those dirty bike noises that have been mentioned. On a serious clean job, I pull the rear casette and blast it with an aresol carbuerator cleaner...awesome trick that I'll pass on for free. Nothing cleans like high pressure solvent. Just keep it away from paint, plastic, carbon, eyeballs, etc, etc. It's a miracle product for cleaning rear casettes though.

Mountain bike...I clean and lube 'as necessary'.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenboarder
    I had asked my dad for tips for salt/rust prevention. He mentioned that he knew some bikers (the louder type) that used to wipe down their bikes with a rag that had a little bit of motor oil (i.e. 5W-30) on it. I guess this would prevent the moisture and salt from getting to the paint. Has anyone ever tried this? Or heard of it being done?
    Absolutely. An easier method is to spray down the whole engine/frame of the dirt bike with WD-40. I know a lot of guys who live in wetter climates who do this. Works well, but in a dusty environment, either method tends to pick up some dust. Rinse and repeat. My KTM has a nice coat of WD-40 on it right now.

~Disc~Golf~
    Honestly... ahh I give up

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    your crazy bro! Hijinx as usual!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Nice pic! I did try that once but found the black stuff more work to get off the tub than off the bike. I have been washing the bike 1x/week since Nov. - kind of a sponge/rag bath using a pail with warm water, car wash & a little citrus degreaser. Clean/oil chain, rims (nail polish remover if u have V brakes, u will be amazed at the buildup), etc @ same time. Also love the spray cans of silicone for deraillers etc. - sprays off the grit & leaves it lightly lubed. Then I wipe down with liquid spray carwax. Helps if you have a basement u can get a little dirty. I usually notice the chain looking dry 1/2way thru the week & just add a little/wipe with rag.

Have not tried the WD40 on frame, but have wondered if that stuff they sell to keep snow from sticking to shovels & snowblowers would work well.

If u are used to cleaning up after muddy trail rides, I find this much easier.

Oct 2009
    Ha, probably not going to jump in the shower with my bike... we're close enough, trust me!

I'm going to try the lubing up my frame as discussed, I really don't see this hurting anything.. if it sucks, I can alway wipe it off.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    Have not tried the WD40 on frame, but have wondered if that stuff they sell to keep snow from sticking to shovels & snowblowers would work well.
    I know people use PAM, the cooking spray for their snowblowers and stuff... not sure, but I could see that being a little nasty to the touch. I guess this is something to consider with WD-40 or motor oil. Don't want to have that crap all over my pants.

local trails rider
    At least a thin coating of oil will help with keeping a steel frame from rusting. Aluminum does not "rust", of course.

Bedwards Of The West
    No one wants crap on their pants.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I went to once a month last winter and enough salt got in the spoke holes that they were all frozen to the rim, and the cassette was welded to the freehub.

I am back to once a week or maybe every two weeks

Bedwards Of The West
    I am so thankful that they don't use salt around here. I suppose that even if they did, it's cheaper to destroy a bike than a car. Still, horrible stuff.

mtbr member
    My bike gets washed everytime it rains. Otherwise I just look after the chain (it rains a lot here) the braking surface and brake blocks.

I dream on two wheels
    I re-packed my bearing in my hubs this weekend. It made a huge difference, I highly recommend it especially if you've had some nasty winter ridding conditions. Aside from the drivetrain I really don't clean the commuter.

-Simon
    Whiskey

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns
    I re-packed my bearing in my hubs this weekend. It made a huge difference, I highly recommend it especially if you've had some nasty winter ridding conditions. Aside from the drivetrain I really don't clean the commuter.

-Simon
    Very true...on one of the Boston-NY AIDS rides I did years ago, it was the tail end of a hurricane, rain rain rain. I had redone my hubs before the trip, but I started hearing noises from the front hub. I bummed some cone wrenches & was amazed to see there was nothing left but rusty ball bearings & water after only 200 miles or so. Fancier hubs may fare better.

Off topic, many people got hypothermic because of the rain. I asked a local who watched us go by if there was a thrift store, because I was getting cold too. Insteas, this kind stranger walked home a couple blocks and brought me back an old wool sweater - heaven!

jrm
    mtbr member

When i cant stand it anymore

ie; when i cant ride it without getting black grunge on some part of my clothes or body. or when the drivetrains crunchy

fux
    Scooterist
    I have been unlucky this year.

We had 28 days of rain in November and since then we have had snow. My poor bike looks a mess but I don`t dare wash it until the temprature goes over 0 so it has a chance to thaw.

Last year my nipples snapped one by one so I swapped them out for brass and it seems to have worked a treat. Not long till spring... Yay!
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

Members who have read this thread: 0