What's your favorite commute accesory?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

What's your favorite commute accesory?

For me i'd have to say it's my Boombotix bluetooth speaker. While there are other accessories, like lights, pump, rack, fenders that i'd consider more practical, I find my speaker to be my most used and enjoyable one. No matter what the weather, or light conditions I always have it clipped on my hip with either tunes or podcasts playing. Never liked the headphone thing because I like to hear my surroundings. With the speaker I can still hear everything around me including my bike.

So what's your favorite commute accessory and why?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A long stick to hit bluetooth speakers on bikes Or my bike bell.

CB of the East
    Lights! Without them 4+ months of the year are un-commuteable

mtbr member
    Lights. + 1

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Lights!

Without them 10+ months of the year are un-commuteable.

Plus that's the only thing on my bikes.

since 4/10/2009
    whoever invents a portable EMP to target portable music devices that people play excessively loud will make a fortune.

Also, I think I remember boombotix engaged in some shady guerrilla advertising on this site awhile back. Bastiges.

Lights are a really close favorite for me. But I think my fenders actually get the nod. It's not that they enable me to ride when I otherwise wouldn't. It's that they make the ride so much more comfortable. And they're functional at times even when it's not wet. For example, in summertime when trees are dropping soft mast into the street - they keep half-fermented and squished fruit from splashing all over me.

Moderator Moderator
    A thermos for coffee and one for oatmeal, pure comfort upon arrival!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Lights. No commuting for me without them since 50% of my commute is in the dark. Second is my Boombotix as well. Since I commute on what seems to be like 4 feet of MUP compared to some of you, playing music doesn't seem to bother people. They can hear me coming and I don't scare anyone that I know of.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    For me almost all stuff, since most of it enables commuting by bike. Be it small packable raingear, dynohub powered lights, merino socks and shirts, softshell office pants, my keens for summer or whatever,.my ortlieb office bag size L that takes almost always everything I need to carry, or whatever.

But what I like the most now is my contigo aquaseal 450ml coffee mug that fits the sks topcage. during my 35min. Rides I drink only half of it, but it is also nice to have a drink when I arrive. I like it so much that I normally also carry it with me now in the car or on the subway. After reading lots of reviews I opted for the silver steel non coloured version since it doesnt show the scratches so much. I already thought about posting it in the "coffee on the commute" thread that I found deep down in this forum.

Thats the item that brings a lot of extra comfort during the ride

mtbr member
    May 2005
    1. Lights
    2. Fenders

I tried the coffee/travel mug holder, but drinking from a coffee/travel mug while riding is a PITA, and my coffee is always cold after a 75-80 minute ride. Nothing about it made the commute any less miserable.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I've got to give another vote for lights. Very handy dandy, as far as I'm concerned.

My cygolite light was my favorite bike accessory until this last week when the dang tab you push in to get the light off the mount broke as I was removing the light. It sits in there fine, still, but not securely and if I bounce around a lot it will come out (suprisingly resilient though). Then again, that's what super-glue is for.
    dang

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Fil View Post
    ... my Boombotix bluetooth speaker...

You mean you blast music while you ride? That doesn't seem obnoxious to you?

Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    A long stick to hit bluetooth speakers on bikes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    whoever invents a portable EMP to target portable music devices that people play excessively loud will make a fortune...
    Amen to both of these...

I don't have ONE favorite, but a list of necessities: computer, lights, bell, headband, fenders, rack, helmet, gloves, bottle and cage, etc. etc. etc.

Trail Ninja
    Electra ringer bell. The double-ringing sound is very distinct and gets me through traffic with smiles/giggles from those who have yielded.

I've tried other bells (ex. types like the spurcycle and incredibell), but I got feedback that some people merely turned to see if they dropped something (ex. coins) on the ground. Most in my part of the U.S. didn't even know how to react to the bells, as if it were completely foreign to them, but the ringer seems to be more universally recognized, and the most politeful (for lack of a better word) way to announce your approach.

Sadly, the Electra only really works comfortably on my singlespeed, since there's really no clearance under it to fit over clamps (ex. SRAM Matchmaker). Would have to see about doing a bit of modification to fit it better. I e-mailed them about it, so hopefully they have plans to address it.

Resident Texican
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer74 View Post
    You mean you blast music while you ride? That doesn't seem obnoxious to you?
    I have an Outdoor Tech Buckshot speaker that I use on my bike which absolutely makes my rides more enjoyable. Guess what? I'm commuting so I'm riding on roads with traffic so no one is paying attention to the music that I'm playing. The constant growl of engines is pretty obnoxious on its own, so some music playing isn't going to ruin anything for anyone. I can understand not wanting people to blast music while riding on MUPs, but not everyone is able to spend all of their riding time on those. Even on the MUP, when I do ride there, some light music playing is much less obnoxious than a bell ringing and "disturbing the peace". Some people are really close-minded here about music.

To each his own, but this is a commuting sub-forum, so yes my music is my favored accessory (despite not being necessary).
    [email protected]%K! Where the hell did that tree come from?!

Bedwards Of The West
    I confess to iPod use on maybe 40 or 50% of my commutes. At least I keep my obnoxious sounds to myself On my rural ride I don't feel like it's a danger at all. Wouldn't do it in a city... probably not even in a town... but I see more deer than people on my commute.

That's not my favorite accessory though...

Ranked in terms of how much misery they take away from my rides:

1. Fenders. No fenders in the wet and slop is just horrible.
    2. Lights. I assume I'm not dead because of these. Although they also make pre-sunrise winter commutes possible, which is sort of cruel of them if you think about it. That's why they aren't #1.
    3. Mountain Hardwear softshell jacket. Worth every penny. Got it used
    4. Timbuk2 Especial Medio waterproof backpack. Earned this one with years of lining the old bag with a trash bag to keep things dry.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I confess to iPod use on maybe 40 or 50% of my commutes. At least I keep my obnoxious sounds to myself On my rural ride I don't feel like it's a danger at all. Wouldn't do it in a city... probably not even in a town... but I see more deer than people on my commute.
    You ride with an Ipod!!!! Oh Horror! Don't you know that when you don't wear one you become immune from getting run off the road!

JK, I use one on most of my solo rides. I honestly can't think of how I am that much less safe without one. It's not like I'm going to drive myself off the road if I hear a car coming up on me. In traffic I keep a close watch for the right hook. Usually if somebody right hooks you it's going to happen if you can hear it or not.

Wearing Ipods on rides seems to spark more debate than abortion or capital punishment. Personal choice people.

Oh, and the trails I ride, I've probably seen another biker out there 1-2 times/year. Ain't nobody yellin' at me to get out of the way that I can't hear.

I'd rate it higher on the accessory list but I really need some new music.

There was a guy in the fatbike race with a bluetooth speaker. Really? No matter, I only heard it for a moment while I passed him.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Yeah, if you hear someone about to run you over, it is pretty much too late to take evasive action.

The truth is we rely on others for our safety. Predictable and defensive riding can help, but is not a guarantee.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I suppose if I saw fewer people I'd consider tunes, especially since I'm almost exclusively on the mup. I see a lot of folks so I'd rather be totally involved.
    dang

searchin for Animal Chin
    Favorite has to be my Topeak MTX rack/bag setup on the rear. The foldout panniers work awesome and can really hold alot of stuff! Also the mesh pocket on top also holds my *gasp* bluetooth speaker it's a UE Roll, love it. The trail on my commute is always deserted so no worries bothering anyone, and I only use it in the city. Last week when I started the ride to work, the first song to play was Dwight Yoakam's "thousand miles from nowhere" was a good ride
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

mtbr member
    Of all the obnoxious things people do with vehicles around here, blasting music doesn't crack the top 20. And I'm talking about cars blasting music, not the feeble wattage of a bicycle-mounted anything.

But the answer the question: I won't count accessories that are required by law as I see them as effectively part of the bike. I will then admit I am an unapologetic slave to my Garmin. Because Strava. And I'm not sorry.

In a desperate situation I am willing to use the phone app, but in most cases if I forget the GPS I will turn around to get it.

I will deliberately leave it ambiguous whether I consider a helmet an "accessory".
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Fenders have been really nice.

Ibera Rear rack and trunk bag that clip together is pretty cool.

Switching to a belt drive has been great for me because I like low maintenance.

Different clothing options for all the varied weather conditions really makes life easier.

Lights are more necessity than accessory if you commute year round I think, but good to have even if you don't.

Resident Texican
    I will also add that my Topeak rack combined with a Banjo Brothers Backpack/Pannier are probably my second favorite system, as a combo. After getting hit by a car on campus last year my back couldn't do the weight of everything anymore while on the bike, and the combo backpack/pannier has been an absolute life-saver.

I do want one of the Ortlieb Commuter bags eventually though. They just look really good.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Light and Motion Vis 360
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Texico View Post
    I have an Outdoor Tech Buckshot speaker that I use on my bike which absolutely makes my rides more enjoyable. Guess what? I'm commuting so I'm riding on roads with traffic so no one is paying attention to the music that I'm playing. The constant growl of engines is pretty obnoxious on its own, so some music playing isn't going to ruin anything for anyone. I can understand not wanting people to blast music while riding on MUPs, but not everyone is able to spend all of their riding time on those. Even on the MUP, when I do ride there, some light music playing is much less obnoxious than a bell ringing and "disturbing the peace". Some people are really close-minded here about music.

To each his own, but this is a commuting sub-forum, so yes my music is my favored accessory (despite not being necessary).
    As long as you're not singing off key loudly.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    studs

guy
    Aside from the big ticket items already mentioned like my lights, backup lights, fenders, and Ortlieb backpack, my favorite accessory has to be my cycling caps. They keep sweat out of my eyes in the summer, keep my head warm in every other season, keeps my wild hair out of my face in the office after a long ride to work Even helps with keeping rain out of my eyes.

Resident Texican
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    As long as you're not singing off key loudly.
    No promises.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texico View Post
    I will also add that my Topeak rack combined with a Banjo Brothers Backpack/Pannier are probably my second favorite system, as a combo. After getting hit by a car on campus last year my back couldn't do the weight of everything anymore while on the bike, and the combo backpack/pannier has been an absolute life-saver.

I do want one of the Ortlieb Commuter bags eventually though. They just look really good.
    I've found the quality of some BB products to be sub par. The seams came undone on my saddlebags and I had to redo them. I think they weren't backstitched initially which is a mistake.
    dang

mtbr member
    Lights. Day or night always on. One forward on the helmet (cheap E-Bay Cree), one forward on the bars (Serfas True 1500). Two out back on the rack (Cygolite Hotshot) and seatpost (Lupine Rotlicht), one hot glued to the back of my helmet (Cygolite Hotshot).
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

jrm
    mtbr member
    Oury grips. They help reduce the jolt from those seams and holes you dont always see b4 you hit um. The dangly bits like that...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Seatpost clip on rear fender. (I have the SKS Xtra Dry.) While traditional fenders offer better coverage and look more "classic commuter", I love the simplicity and versatility of this thing. It is wide so it covers the angles and wider tires, there are no clearance issues, easily swaps between bikes, and comes off for bluebird days. Cheap and well made.
    My other bike is a /7.

Bedwards Of The West
    I could add the GoPro to this list. Keeps me entertained for sure.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member

PDW Shiny Object

I was a pretty big fan of the PDW Shiny Object this morning after this.What's your favorite commute accesory?-nailtire.jpg
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    ^^ damn!

Good stuff named so far, but my favorites are not very practical.

I have a stanley thermos mug that fits in a bottle cage and is easy to drink out of.

I also have a spurcycle bell that my friend won in a raffle then traded me for a set of handlebars. I ring it all the time, especially when I am climbing and pretending I'm an elevator doorman. Your floor, sir...

That one backfired on me though - I ride the MUP with my wife a lot in the summer and I "ding" people instead of saying "on your left" (to avoid half the people stepping to the left in response). I just ding and they react. But she liked the sound so much she wanted her own, so I had to shell out $45 for a bell for her bike
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    My one handed thermos brand hot/cold bottle I use for my morning coffee on the way.

I dream on two wheels
    Fenders!
    Whiskey

Tires
    GPS unit. Inspires confidence to travel different routes, back alleys, and I like maps. Elevation, speed, and stuff.
    Soma, Surly, Salsa, Schwalbe, SRAM, Sun-Ringlé

mtbr member
    My new Chain and Cassette..... Make the shifting so much smoother!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have to agree with the fenders. They are not required but there is a joy to riding in the rain with them.