What is your commuter set up?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

What is your commuter set up?

What is your setup? Single, double or triple chainring? How many speed cassette? Are you just making due with what you have or did you specially setup your bike for your area?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Triple with a 10 speed cassette

46 32 22 on the front 11 to 36 on the back.

I can spin out the 46 11 on a good day on the flats...

I ride the same bike on the trails.

mtbr member
    Compact double with a 11-25 10 speed cassette. 10 speed for ergonomics, cassette ratio because that's what was around at the shop. I'm in flatland Florida, so no need to change right now. When we relocate to Texas soon, I'll switch the cassette out for a 12-32 or something similar.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Triple chainring, 8 speed on a 1995 mountain bike. Continental TravelContact tires and bar ends that allow me to stretch out and have a better hand position are what makes it "commuter-able"

Making do, perhaps, but it satisfies my want for comfort and speed on-road while still being off-road capable (though not exactly comfortable) when I want to bring it there. THAT's where it's nice to have the triple.

mtbr member
    Errand bike: 1 x 9, good bike: triple 26-36-48 x 10 (13-29). Rarely use granny here but further afield I can find hills where it is needed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Single speed, 46x24 belt drive. I have 2 main routes, one is basically flat and the other has a 16% grade. Average around 6.5 miles each way so speed isn't a huge factor.

Also have 2x10 CX bike, 46/34 with a 12-32 cassette I think. Will ride that if I want to add miles or just feel like going fast.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    I ride what I've got, nothing set-up specific for commuting.
    Track bike 49:19
    Road bike 48: 11-25
    Road bike 50-34 :11-25 (really hate the compact I'm always inbetween gears)
    Cross bike 46-36: 12-23
    Road bike 53-39: 11-23

Occasionally ride an mtb for a change up but even with slicks it's not comfortable for the distance I commute.

Moderator Moderator
    9 speed triple. A mix of road drivetrain up front and mtb in the back. I do use the triple since I live where there are climbs and I have this set up with racks and panniers. Top off a trip to the grocery store with a watermelon and you'll like that granny.

Disc cross frame.

All parts were hand me downs or bike swap stuff, I only have @ $400 in this bike and probably have more miles on it than any other.

mtbr member
    Fixed 26er at 70gearinches
    Singlespeed 29er at about 58gearinches
    Singlespeed 26er at 50gearinches

I'd rather be on my bike
    Fixed gear x 2 @ 49:15
    Fat bike 2x9 not sure on the cassette
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    3x10 on the main commuter. Lots of overlap in gear ratios, seemed like exactly what I wanted at the time. Seems like more gears than I need at the moment.

In snow, I ran 1x9 on a hard tail MTB. Did everything I wanted, now it is back to SS for beer runs and trails.

Mostly flat around here with a few quick climbs and a few long slow grades. If I were going custom, I would seriously consider 1x10.

mtbr member
    I'm seriously considering a 1x10 drive train conversion. Something like a 44x11-32 seems perfect for what I need to do.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ^ That sounds about perfect to me. I run the middle ring, which is right around a 44, and use the other two once a month if that.

mtbr member
    Being in Florida, I stay in the 50t up front, rarely dropping down to the 34t. But, we're currently working toward relocating to Texas hill country, and those low bailout gears will be handy for some steep grades.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    AB 32t single to a 11-36 10 speed cassette

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a 3x8 on a Trek 7.3, once I finally kill this bike, I'll probably make a more deliberate gear choice as this is just what it came with. I think I'd probably move to a 1x8/9/10, not sure exactly. Although the gear options are nice when I'm facing a stiff head wind or have the bike loaded down with 50lbs of crap.

mtbr Decade+
    I'm running a Shimano 3 x 8 on an Opus Orpheo. I have lots of spares and foresee using this drivetrain a long, long time.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Cross frame.

50x34 compact double in front.
    11-34 in back.

It's hilly here in the Seattle area and I pretty much use them all on the daily commute.

Bedwards Of The West
    3x8 on the Ogre. Cassettes and chains are cheap and beefy. I never touch the granny on the commute, but I want to be able to haul a full Bob trailer up a mountain with this bike if the opportunity comes up.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Usual commuter has 52, 39, 30 up front and 11/25 10 speed rear, CX bike set up as a road bike gets used for weeknight roadie club rides. I have used this bike touring but don't touch the granny normally.
    The Other bike that I use commuting has a Rohloff with 40/16 gearing but I plan on dropping that to 36/16 soon, for a trip I have planned this year.

mtbr member
    My commuter is basically set up as a high-end touring bike: a Kinesis aluminium frame, dynohub + lighting, Rohloff, fenders front & rear, BB7M, On One Midge handlebar with Tektro RL520 Levers + Froglegs. Just got a good deal on a used Salsa Woodchipper today, will see next weekend if it is better than the Midge.
    My bag is an Ortlieb office bag size L, is enough for me to carry everything all year round.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have a commute bike: Trek FX 7.4 (love it)
    3x9
    I added a rear rack with bag and fenders.

Most importantly I wear a construction safety vest while riding - a must wear!!!

guy
    Depending on the weather and time of year I will commute on:
    Fat bike - 2x9

Road bike - 50-34t compact crank with 9 speed 12-25 cassette. I only end up using 6 of the 9 cogs and nearly always in the big ring

Converted hybrid - formerly 1x7 with a 44 front ring. In the process of converting to 1x10. This is the "commuter" bike with rack and full fenders. It is getting a more legitimate drop bar conversion along with the drivetrain upgrade. Just need to get around to finishing it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Kleebs, I was debating on going on the route similar to your converted hybrid. What bike did you start with and how does the 1x work work you?

guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzwardo View Post
    Kleebs, I was debating on going on the route similar to your converted hybrid. What bike did you start with and how does the 1x work work you?
    I started with a used '94ish Giant Nutracross flat bar hybrid that had a 3 x 7 that I bought from my local bike coop. The front shifter was a friction thumbie that was originally designed as a rear shifter, and the rear shifter was a 7 speed trigger.

When I went to a drop bar I had to get ride of the trigger shifter because it obviously wouldn't work on a drop bar. I never used the front derailleur so I removed it, and repurposed the thumbie shifter as a rear shifter for the 7 speed derailleur. To do this I had to bend the shifter clamp a bit and get a longer screw, but it worked fine for the most part. Adjusting it was a pain in the ass and the thumbie was old so it didn't always hold the tension. So it would randomly shift on my which was a bit frustrating.

The crank is a cheap triple that is riveted together so I couldn't remove the small and middle chainrings. Not a big deal for me as it was meant as a beater commuter anyway. My commute is pretty flat and 100% on road. So far, I have not dropped a chain despite still relying on the cheap 7 speed Altus derailleur (non clutch) and regular ramped chainring.

The salt from this winter did a number on the chain and cassette, so I used that as an excuse to upgrade and ditch the thumbie. It is now awaiting installation of a 10 speed bar end shifter, rear derailleur, cassette, chain, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Pretty much the same idea I had. I have a 1999 Trek 7500 that most of the components are about dead. I have been riding on the 38 tooth middle ring for a while to see what its like, took off the front deraileur, left grip shift and the 48 tooth ring. I was hoping to find an inexpensive single crank, but it seems cheaper to just buy a triple and now use the other rings like you did. The bike looks like crap so I am hoping that would be thieves would just walk right on by. I was thinking about sticking with the 8 speed cassette for now but I do love the 10 speed cassettes on my good bikes.

guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzwardo View Post
    I was thinking about sticking with the 8 speed cassette for now but I do love the 10 speed cassettes on my good bikes.
    The good thing about 8 speeds is the cassettes and chains are cheap and generally more durable than 10 speeds. I went 10 simply because I got a good deal on the shifter and derailleur. The 7 speed cassette that I started with was plenty of range.

That said, I will never argue with someone who wants an excuse to buy more bike parts

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That said, I will never argue with someone who wants an excuse to buy more bike parts[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure my girlfriend would be happy that I am just buying parts instead of bringing home complete bikes, lol. Plus parts are easier to hide.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My primary commuter is the CX bike I built in 1997. It was set up with a triple (48,36,24) in front and 7 speed rear. I recently upgraded the wheels to a 10 speed hub but I am still running a 7 speed cassette 12-32. Never use the granny gear on my commute but I do ride trails and gravel with it and it is nice to have on the off road climbs.

I've been thinking of replacing the crank with a compact 50/34 and going to a 10 speed cassette and barcons. Or, instead, just a single up front and doing a 1x10.

Then again, the 3x7 has worked for 18 years! lol.

enjoying the scenery
    Karate Monkey
    3 x 9

Need all the gears at one time or another.
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2008 Specialized Epic Marathon