What are you eating before and after your commute?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What are you eating before and after your commute?

I have recently moved and now I am 18 miles from work versus 4. I am finding my self drained of energy and a little tired, my body is not sore or weak though. What do you guys eat before you commute? What do you eat for lunch? Do you eat anything before the ride home?
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

RAKC
    Personally I just eat normal stuff just eat smaller amounts more often. Eating right before a ride is useless just for a commute, takes a couple hrs before what u eat starts getting into ur system.

Biggest thing, make sure to eat on ur breaks and before u leave to ride to work. And don't eat greasy crap (alot of bacon or sausage, fried junk etc) mainly in the morning ull regret it later.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    It's going to take your body a little time to adjust to the longer commute so don't get too worried about being tired. Just work up to it and don't overthink it.

As far as eating, I eat a bowl of cereal before I head out in the morning and then normal stuff during the day. When I am hungry, I eat

(I do 20.5 miles each way, 5 days/week)

mtbr member
    If you find that you're getting tired or hungry too quickly, the key is foods that won't spike your blood sugar. Eating something like an energy bar, basically anything high in sugar and simple carbs, is going to cause a quick spike in blood sugar then an insulin reaction will cause your blood sugar to crash. You want lean protein, complex carbs (whole grains instead of processed flour - white bread bad, multi grain bread good) and fiber. Those will all keep you full longer and not give you that blood sugar crash. Here's a couple suggestions for things you can eat for breakfast before riding:

-Eggs
    -Yogurt (I personally like Greek for the extra protein)
    -Peanut butter on multi-grain toast
    -Cereal high in fiber and low in sugar with milk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Eating right before a ride is useless just for a commute, takes a couple hrs before what u eat starts getting into ur system.
    This is not true. If it took a couple hours, people with diabetes would be screwed when their blood sugar was low. Your blood sugar rises pretty quickly after you eat. According to this article, it rises about 15 minutes after eating:

How Soon After Ingestion of Food Does Blood Sugar Rise? | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

mtbr member
    +1 to Straz. It doesn't take a couple of hours for food to get into your system. That's silly.

I have a 33 mile round trip commute. I don't eat anything before I leave. After I get to work, I typically have coffee + something higher in protein. I like those Chobani Flip greek yogurts that have yogurt and nuts and granola. Or a banana and almond butter. Or hard boiled eggs and avocado on a tortilla.

On days that I ride in, I will typically have an afternoon snack before I leave. Sometimes it's something healthy like nuts or an apple with peanut butter and other times it's something not so healthy like crackers or chips. I always have a few pieces of chocolate for lunch too. And when I get home, I find that I need something small to tide me over until dinner, because I have to walk/run my dog before I eat. Basically I just wind up eating a lot over the course of the day.

If you have weight to lose, maybe you'll want to track your calories. If not, then just keep eating!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Everything I can lay hands on, generally. ~20 mile round trip for me. I pack to eat a large-ish portion of something every ~3 hours (rice & broccoli, sandwich, lame "burrito" bowl), and bring a few things to help tide me over between those (apples, generally), which are not scheduled. I find myself much hungrier in the morning, tapering off after 3-4. Some days I just bring a sweet potato or two and bake them in the toaster oven after everybody else is gone for the day. I used to eat a significant volume of yogurt, but now that I'm part time vegan that's tapered off (I made it at home).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by L4NE4 View Post
    I have recently moved and now I am 18 miles from work versus 4. I am finding my self drained of energy and a little tired, my body is not sore or weak though. What do you guys eat before you commute? What do you eat for lunch? Do you eat anything before the ride home?
    I try to eat regularly for me that means breakfast lunch then a snack usually after I ride home....but I can get awfully hungry so a bar before I leave helps...

As far as the tiredness I need a nap, and the longer I ride the longer the nap...

Right now I ride home only 8 km but I do 1.5 hour knee rehab routine everyday after the ride....then I nap....I eat nuts and fruit after the ride and little bits during the workout

I'd rather be on my bike
    I have found that apples or celery and natural peanut butter works really well for me after a ride. I use Smart Balance Natural chunky now and cannot go back to regular stuff like Jif or whatever. This isn't some sissy peanut butter that you easily spread on. You need a real knife to use this stuff. Plastic will break under the pressure of how manly this peanut butter is. Taste? Yeah, it tastes delicious even on plain old celery.

I will often keep a bar in my bag if I feel a bit of a bonk coming on, but that really hasn't happened much.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Brown rice, vegetables, and miso soup.

I work nights, eating before my commute is not a problem. Also, I'm a chef, so eating before going home is not an issue. The problem is shift drinks after work and the associated dehydration. Though, I always end my long nights with a water party.

mtbr member

What are you eating before and after your commute?

I eat a cliff bar and a glass of a pressed juice or smoothie before. Then i have cereal at work and try to eat my lunch before i lunch trail ride but sometimes 12 catches up on me so i have a protein bar around 10-11 and im usually good to eat my lunch early in the afternoon. Then i have a snack of fruit and then im good for the way home.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    It's true that eating immediately before a high intensity training ride is not beneficial, but unless you are at 70% + heart rate on your way into the office, you should be able to process food. My commute is 17 miles each way. If I am hungry in the morning I usually have a banana and a handful of nuts. If not, I just go. I usually have some kind of snack in the afternoon. My diet consists of a lot of protein and minimal carbs, so that is what I focus on. I also keep a bar in my bag, just in case I feel a little light headed on route. You can always get through 17 miles, but sometimes if I didn't get enough to eat or have been doing a lot of riding, I lack some energy.

mtbr member
    Probably should have mentioned that I do eat breakfast once I get to the office.

Krave jerkey is a great snack for the desk.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Yesterday when I got to work I had my delicious greek yogurt parfait prepared at home in a big Tupperware type cup. Layered yogurt, granola, frozen blueberries and sliced bananas, a little maple syrup. The frozen blueberries keep everything cold until you eat it. Usually I just have coffee beforehand.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Peanut butter and syrup on home made whole wheat waffles or pancakes, and coffee. I make pancakes Saturday enough to last the week and just toast them. I only have 9 mile commute each way. I eat nothing more on arrival to work but I eat lunch at 11am

Reading this thread gets me hungry for what you all are eating especially that yogurt concoction.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My commute's 20 miles one way. In the morning I try to eat at least banana and drink water. I've left on an empty stomach before and I was surprised I did fine, but I still feel better having something in the tank.

Once I get to work I'm lucky to have a full kitchen and cafes nearby. Oatmeal and yogurt is my go-to. Never eat the instant flavored oatmeal it's just a package of sugar. Egg sandwiches are good, if the bread is dense. Breakfast burritos work too.

At lunch unless I snack I'm usually hungry sooner than later, and complex carbs are great. Rice, potatoes and clean proteins are always the best. If you eat breads, the more refined the worse it is. (i.e. whole grain bread is better than white french bread.)

Moderator Moderator
    My new thing is a blender drink: 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 banana, handful of blueberries, handful of granola, generous spoonful of peanut butter, and a spot of maple syrup. Makes about a pint, pour in my coffee thermos and go.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I eat breakfast in the morning, which could be anything really. And maybe probably a snack before I leave. Then I get to work and eat lunch before I hit the clock. Usually side kind of dinner left overs or deli sandwich or peanut butter. I'll often bring a lot of fruit. Like I'll eat a banana (my go to) with lunch and then an apple or strawberries maybe an hour before I leave. Then I get home for dinner and chow down like I have nothing else to do. Then snacks later (I eat a lot).

As said before greasy food sucks for riding. One time on a 70 mile ride my brother and I stopped for gyros because we didn't eat lunch or pack anything. So rewarding... Until we got on the bike and trudged our full bellies home like they weighed is down another 50lbs. Gyros and fries...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Fruit for breakfast (usually bananas or a banana milkshake) then I get an omelette at the coffee shop down stairs after showering at work. There is a fruit shop at the coffee shop so I generally snack on papaya or get a starfruit juice or something, sometimes apple, carrot, celery and avocado with ginger, that is one of their more addictive juice blends. I don't tend to munch after lunch.
    Keeping myself properly hydrated during the day is what I have to watch.
    My commute is about 8 miles each way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Waffles, sausage, banana or apple and milk. Then I eat through out the day at work. PEanut butter sandwich. Fruits. Nuts. Lunch varies. I have a 20 mile roundtrip commute. Finding I still need to eat more because I'm losing weight and I don't need to.

I think as long as you eat healthy and eat enough that you don't feel tired then you will be fine. Every person's body is different so I say figure out whats good for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I work in the afternoon to evening so I eat more of a lunch type meal. I like to have a stir fry. Meats, veg and carbs.

mtbr member
    Mtbxplorer, if you are not sensitive to it, chia adds EFAs and thickens smoothies. Just an idea. I liked it in mine until I ate some gluten and got a leaky gut and reacted to chia and a bunch of other things.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Mtbxplorer, if you are not sensitive to it, chia adds EFAs and thickens smoothies. Just an idea. I liked it in mine until I ate some gluten and got a leaky gut and reacted to chia and a bunch of other things.
    I have not eaten chia, thought they were a pet Thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    No grains for me for at least 6 months. I might get rice back then. Leaky gut/immune reaction to eating some gluten. I am predisposed to be Celiac. No beer even GF. I have to watch bananas and excess fruit, too. Thinking of the charity ride and I can't eat most of what is served or my BP goes high and other issues are also likely. Sweet potato, carrots, and parsnips are the most carbohydrate I can do. I will pack the powered cooler in the car so I can have lunch and refill my stores. I regret eating that donut. ;(

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    No grains for me for at least 6 months. I might get rice back then. Leaky gut/immune reaction to eating some gluten. I am predisposed to be Celiac. No beer even GF. I have to watch bananas and excess fruit, too. Thinking of the charity ride and I can't eat most of what is served or my BP goes high and other issues are also likely. Sweet potato, carrots, and parsnips are the most carbohydrate I can do. I will pack the powered cooler in the car so I can have lunch and refill my stores. I regret eating that donut. ;(
    Wow. I can't imagine having to put that much attention into what I do and don't eat. That's rough, man. I know a few people with gluten allergies. I'm always like "what about let's eat this!" And they're like "I can't...". Then I feel bad.

mtbr member
    ^^ Food and drink are intrinsic to socializing. Having your gut and immune system ostracize you really does suck. The only good thing is that being off gluten and sugar so long that the donut did not have the taste and kick I remember. Gluten lights the endorphin receptors in many people and apparently a few years GF turns that off pretty much. OTOH I am dropping weight like a Goodyear blimp compensating for a leak. I will be below 200 later this week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a banana shake with 2 raw egg whites in there or a vegetable & fruit smoothie.

When I get to the office Ill have some oatmeal and fruit or a couple hard boild eggs.

Regular lunch (tuna, beef stew, etc) and then I try to eat about an hour before a head out back home a sandwich or something.

mtbr member
    My commute is approximately 1hr. In the mornings all I have is coffee before my ride. When I get to work I'll typically have a banana with peanut butter or a couple of slices of toast with peanut butter. For my ride. home I usually eat 3 Fig Newtons right before I hop on the bike and that seems to work perfectly for my ride home. For hydration I only drink plain water.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah, I wouldn't get nutrition advice from the average people in countries where dying of a heart attack is the number one cause of death and where obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, osteoporosis, arthritis and other chronic conditions people eat themselves into are rampant in the population. When I go out and about and look at other Americans I remark to myself, "my they look like sh1t!" But hey, probably they clean their homes regularly and wash their cars often! Untruth, obsession with trivia and slovenliness, is just the capitalist American way. They have no idea what to eat and it shows in their decrepit mis-shapen bodies and the health problems they have which they could have avoided for the most part.

A good source for free nutrition advice is the free Dr. McDougall plan:
    https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/e...ore-you-begin/
    Basically he advocates to eat a low-fat diet, with no meat, no milk products, no oils, centered on whole or minimally processed starches and complimented with fruits and vegetables. His current newsletter:
    https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl/jul/ms.htm
    His newsletter archives:
    https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/e...tter/archives/

Another excellent and free resource are the videos on nutritionfacts by Dr. Michael Greger where he covers the latest in nutrition research:
    NutritionFacts.org | The Latest in Nutrition Related Research

I personally just mostly eat some Bob's Red Mill granola cereal with almond milk(non-vanilla, minimally sweetened, 60 calories per cup) for breakfast on most days. If I had weight issues I would substitute that for soy milk or even water. When I have time I combine 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup almond milk, 1 cup frozen berry mix, 2 or 3 tablespoons of raisins depending on sweetness preferences, 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, 1 finely sliced banana and 1 finely chopped apple/peach/pear and heat it all on the stove-top.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Whenever possible, two eggs sunny side up, rye toast, home fries and a side of butterflied scrapple or bacon with at least half an hour of drinking black coffee before setting out. The same breakfast eaten on arrival (one cup of coffee before departure) is all around better.