What type of bike is good for commuting to work?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

What type of bike is good for commuting to work?

Hi! I'm starting to bike to work, and I've been searching for a bike. But I don't know which one is the right one. I'm leaning toward mountain bike. But mountain bike also has many different categories. What type of bike and what brand would you recommend? My budget is in $400 range. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

weirdo
    Hi, welcome in!
    The best bike depends a huge amount on your preferences, your route, what you have available, your budget.... Take a look at the "Post Your Commuter Pictures" (or whatever that thread is called) sticky and you`ll see an amazing variety of bikes. For $400, you should be able to get yourself rolling along pretty well. My preference is always for used bikes, but you`re starting to get into a range where you could go new if you wanted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What kind of commute do you have?

All depends on the factors that make up your location, what you need to bring to work,what your weather is.

I live in Phoeni so I don need fenders for rain,but I needed more water and a rack. I bought a $150 craigslist special, and put another $150 in tires,rack,and lights and I couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Going with CL is great granted if you know your bicycle stuff. Otherwise, it would be slice and dice situation.
    For $400 you can prolly get a decent hybrid bike like say Kona Dew or Marin or Trek 7.x series etc.Go for last year's model if you want more bang for the buck at LBS.

~Disc~Golf~
    a fast one
    Honestly... ahh I give up

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Any bike could be deemed suitable for commuting with. It really all depends on your riding style.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

local trails rider
    What is your climate, distance, road conditions, amount of hills, cycling background, need to carry stuff with you, ...

mtbr member
    If you are riding only pavement, IMO, the best commuter bike is a SS (for the simplicity) road bike with fenders, I prefer drop bars but flat bars would work fine too. I like backpacks over carrying stuff on the bike, but something that excepts racks easily does make a lot of sense. If you will be commuting in the rain, disc brakes would be nice, I go through rims about every 2-3 years on my commuter with rim brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vietballerz
    Hi! I'm starting to bike to work, and I've been searching for a bike. But I don't know which one is the right one. I'm leaning toward mountain bike. But mountain bike also has many different categories. What type of bike and what brand would you recommend? My budget is in $400 range. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

As you may have noticed by now your question has spawned many additional questions. First, there is not one right answer to your question. If you search these boards for more than 2 minutes you will find lively (and often interesting) debates on topics ranging from messenger bags and backpacks vs panniers, the "best" tire, geared vs single speed, suspensions, seats, etc. The list goes on.

As you go through the process of searching for a bike, think about how it will be used.
    What is your level of cycling experience? Do you have a background with MTBs, road bikes, both, neither? Do you know if you prefer a more upright riding position or are you more comfortable on drops?
    How long is your commute? Is your route hilly or flat? For a shorter, less hilly commute a single speed as suggested by someone else may be an option (I personally will never give up gears). A really long commute may be better handled with a road bike although there are plenty of us that use MTBs for long commutes.

Does your commute take you off road?

What will you be carrying with you to/from work? How will it be carried? If you need the ability to mount a rack that can influence your decision. If you opt for a backpack or messenger bag then less of an issue.

Will you ride in inclement weather? If so, add fenders to your list of must buy items.

As for brands, that is tough to answer. If you have a local bike shop that you like/trust I would consider whatever brand they primarily sell that is in your price range. Most shops offer free tuneups for a year which is a benefit worth taking advantage of too.

Members who have read this thread: 0