What tire- Mtbr.com

Thread: What tire

mtbr member
    May 2010

What tire

I have a specialized rockhopper and lately i have started doing alot more riding around town versus actual mountain biking. Does anyone have some reccomendations on which tires to get for commuting? Right now i have panaracer fire xc pro tires

Fat-tired Roadie
    Anything but that.

I've always liked Continental road tires. They do slicks for MTBs too. I have a Michelin City and Specialized Armadillo on my commuter. I think those are also available as 26" slicks.

None of these are treaded tires, so you're going to be doing even less actual mountain biking.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Schwalbe Big Apples
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

Decaf? I said THREE-caf!
    Maxxis Holy Rollers or Kenda K-Rads. I've put thousands of miles on both. You can't go wrong.

ride the moment
    I've got a set of Kenda Kwests on my 26in townie. They go up to 100 psi which makes them roll pretty nice. They're also cheap and in my experience durable and puncture resistant.

Edit: The Forte Metro-K from performance bike comes in a 26 in version. I ran those all winter on my 700c and was very happy. They're usually on sale for less than $15.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

bikexor
    I have Panaracer Crosstown 26x1.5. Not the coolest looking but they have a fairly low rolling resistance, medium pressure so they absorb some shock (60-70 PSI), good siping for wet days, and good cornering tolerance. They can cut across grass OK but start to lose it on gravel. Definitely a pavement-preferred tire. Never had a puncture or pinch flat on them though.
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by david123 View Post
    I have a specialized rockhopper and lately i have started doing alot more riding around town versus actual mountain biking. Does anyone have some reccomendations on which tires to get for commuting? Right now i have panaracer fire xc pro tires
    I'm a big fan of the WTB Graffitti, they are wider than some people like, but they handle higer pressures well (I run mine at 50 psi to handle my 240 lbs) They also have enough tread to allow for small runs on hardpack or grass without sliding as easily as slicks do.
    Last edited by CornbredNE; 06-13-2011 at 08:28 AM.

mtbr member
    I'll have to second the Forte Metro K or Forte Gotham. Alot of tire for a little money. I compared them to some specialized city tires that were in the $50 range and the Forte had more tread where the tire meets the road. The Forte are of very high quality, while the specialized felt thin and cheap. You won't be able to haul ass on rought stuff, but they'll handle some light trails at a reasonalbe pace.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Look at Michelin City Trekking Bike Tire, Continental Town and Country Tire and Serfas Drifter City Tire to name a few.