What should I be looking for?- Mtbr.com
    Class Clown

What should I be looking for?

Hi all,

I am starting a new job and would like to ride to the train station every day. It's just a few miles each way. Normally I ride my Specialized Rockhopper around town and in the trails. But I need something that is cheaper since I'll have to lock it up outside everyday. I am near Boston so it will have to be able to deal with snow/rain. I was going to try a local shop that sells used bikes and maybe craigslist if necessary. Wouldn't want to spend more than about $200 if possible, and wouldn't want it to look too flashy, if that makes sense. I'd need to it be a better ride than a target Huffy though so I wouldn't dread riding it. I'm partial to mountain bikes due to crappy roads and riding off curbs but I'm open to other ideas.

So any advice on what kind of bike I should be looking for or search suggestions appreciated.

O and I was thinking of attaching some sort of baggage system to the bike so I could use it for lugging things around town. Not sure if that's possible on all types of bikes.

Cheers!

I'm SUCH a square....
    Funny you mentioned a Target Huffy; my suggestion is a Wal-Mart Schwinn! The Sidewinder would work pretty well for you. You could also look at the Mongoose Paver from that same source, as that bike (about $125) is impressive for the price.

They would serve for short commutes and light utility.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

weirdo
    My vote would be for Craigslist. $200 will go a long ways there. Or better yet, half that for C.L. and the rest for cables, nice tires, or anything else it might need.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Go for KHS Urban X. More than $120 buck of your budget but I still think is affordable and losable. Fender, rear rack and side stand. Everything u need for a commuting.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I'd go with a craigslist MTB beater. An older one with eyelets for fenders and a rack. Tough enough for your commute around beantown, low profile and yet not terribly expensive if it does get stolen.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    For a baggage system. I would suggest a HybridBackpack. It allows you to take your backpack, shoulder bag or laptop bag. And it sits right on top of the rack instead of on the side like a pannier.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Since you already have a Rockhopper, try out the OG.

Members who have read this thread: 0