What is the longest distance you’ve ever ridden in a day?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

What is the longest distance you’ve ever ridden in a day?

I’m stationed in Stuttgart, Germany but I will transfer back to the U.S. in a few months so I’ve been doing a couple of touring cycling trips lately. On Friday, May 28th I rode 117 miles from Stuttgart to Heidelberg, Germany. On Sunday, June 6th I rode from Stuttgart, Germany to Lauterbourg, France and finished the day with 94 miles. Now I’m planning a trip from Munich to Stuttgart via Ausburg and Ulm which will end up being about 150 miles. I’m mapping out the route I plan on taking now and will post it once I’m done. One of my buddies, who is an avid cyclist, thinks that I may be in over my head by attempting a 150 mile ride. My question to you all is what is the longest you’ve ever ridden in a day and what is the maximum distance do you think you could ride in a day?
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've done a few group century rides, the longest being 178 km (~110 miles). The last one I had done was the hardest. I made a last minute dash to the washroom at the start, and missed being able to draft off the "peleton". It was a long solo ride, with a 50 kph headwind, or cross headwind, for about 75% of the ride.

150 miles (240 km) is not out of the question. All depends upon the usual factors like wind, terrain, type of bike, and your physical condition. Definitely need to train for that kind of distance, though. A strong desire for suffering may also be a prerequisite.

Good luck with it!

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    110.55 miles, on a 35 or so pound (15.8Kg) single speed bike with 36t x 17t gearing. 8:00:29 (H/M/S) total riding time, including waiting for traffic signals, and of course stopping for stop signs. There were three uphill sections involved, and the wind was blowing fierce that day (headwinds at the all the wrong times).

Now, if I had ridden that same route on my 15 pound road bike, I could have easily shaved 3 or so hours off the time.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

weirdo
    100 miles even, loaded. 108 with an "empty" bike.
    My goal is 200 mi for next Fall. I`m ready for 200KM right now, but if the weather is bad my success will be doubtful, so I`m waiting for an open day with a good forecast and I`ll go knock it out.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    200 miles, on knobby tires, with a full-suspension bike that had no lockouts. The only things that I carried was my full-sized Glock pistol, a pair of handcuffs, my badge, and a cell phone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    117.5, from Tucson, AZ to Mesa, AZ

Bedwards Of The West
    108 miles on the commuter bike... Mile High Century, Chester CA. Rodar, was that your 108 too?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I finished mapping my route from Munich to Stuttgart. Looks like the distance should be right at 148 miles if I follow the route exactly, but I'm sure that I'll get an extra mile here or there because of various reasons.

If I decide to ride my bike home from the train station in Stuttgart I can add another 7 miles (all uphill) to the trip, but I'll cross that road when I get to it. Even if I take the train back to my house from downtown Stuttgart, I can add another 2 miles from my local train station back to my house. So if everything goes perfectly, I'm looking at a 150 to 155 mile ride.

What possessed me to do this? I've bought the train ticket to Munich already so I'm all in now. Here are links to the maps I marked. I had to split them up because my browser kept crashing after I marked over 85 miles or so (then I had to start all over again).

Leg 1, Munich to Ausburg: http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=dnzqocugnfbruqfd
    Leg 2, Ausburg to Ulm: http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=pfbzsntkrfusprst
    Leg 3, Ulm to Stuttgart: http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=aquqcmaasxuqdfjm

I hope to live to give you all the ride report. Wish me luck!
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

Recreational Racer
    74 miles. I did a 60 mile race, rode to the race and the trip to and back was 14 miles round-trip. Had a bad lactic acid build up on the way home home and could barely walk for two days.
    “Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.”

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    108 miles on the commuter bike... Mile High Century, Chester CA. Rodar, was that your 108 too?
    Nope. I`ve never done any pay to pedal events.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by RIS
    200 miles, on knobby tires, with a full-suspension bike that had no lockouts. The only things that I carried was my full-sized Glock pistol, a pair of handcuffs, my badge, and a cell phone.
    Going that many miles without carrying any water, food, spare tires/tools/pump/etc. is pretty silly, yes?

Disgruntled Peccary
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG410
    117.5, from Tucson, AZ to Mesa, AZ
    Up 79? If so, how was it?
    mike

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    Going that many miles without carrying any water, food, spare tires/tools/pump/etc. is pretty silly, yes?
    Very funny. I stopped whenever I needed to refill my Camelbak or to pick up food, and my underseat pack had patches, CO2 cartridges, and tools.

I got nothin'
    Solomon76, I have to ask, are you riding the Nashbar X?

Also, the furthest in one day was 111 miles at the Tour de Tucson several years ago. I am looking forward to riding the Seattle to Portland ride of 200 miles within the next year or so.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes hydrogeek, I've been riding the Nashbar X. It has been the star of a lot of the photos I've taken during my trips.

Heidelberg Trip:

France Trip:

Last edited by Solomon76; 06-13-2010 at 09:24 PM.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    203 miles (326 kilometers). Seattle to Portland. 14 hours overall time, 11.5 hours actually pushing the pedals.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek

Also, the furthest in one day was 111 miles at the Tour de Tucson several years ago. I am looking forward to riding the Seattle to Portland ride of 200 miles within the next year or so.
    The S.T.P. rocks.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Wow, those bicycling through Deutschland pictures are beautiful! I seriously need to go there some day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You couldn't have had much time for donuts or issuing tickets.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I got nothin'
    My Nashbar X is very jealous of yours. Mine really only gets to go to work and back and on the odd errand.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Longest was 100 miles. I hurt my knees in 2000 and quit riding for a while, and if I have a long time to ride now, I'm more likely to choose a mountain bike.

100 miles was a battle for me because my shoulder started to hurt around 75 miles, and the last 25 weren't much fun. However, I'm in better physical shape now and I've shortened the reach on that bike. I also think it would be easier if I was riding with a group of like-minded people. I did about 60 miles with a friend of mine who doesn't really ride distance, so it was nice to have company but he pretty much drafted the whole time. The other 40 were mostly at pretty low speeds.

A lot of people around here do the Seattle to Portland ride, which is 210 miles or so over two days; some do it in one. Tour stages are around 150 miles.

I think that 100 miles isn't necessarily a big deal if you don't mind sitting on a bike for 8 hours. I'd like to do it in five at some point.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer
    You couldn't have had much time for donuts or issuing tickets.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I have worked some accidents, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek
    My Nashbar X is very jealous of yours. Mine really only gets to go to work and back and on the odd errand.
    My mountain bike is furious at my Nashbar X. Up until a few months ago, the mountain bike was my bottom b%#ch (to use pimp terminology). Then here comes this FNG cyclocross frame and basically takes over. I'll always have a special place in my heart for the mountain bike though. It was my first complete build from the frame up.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

The longest day

I recently road John O'Groats to Lands End (876 miles my route) in 8 days. My longest day (furthest travelled was 129 miles from Stafford (Premier Inn) to about 10 miles South of Bristol Airport (Premier Inn)
    However the longest day mentally was the first day (Caithness). Bleak, deslate, words just can't describe how long that day was for me - ant it was only 94 miles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    about 170Km on a department store Carlton "microlite".
    had 2 chromoly tubes, the rest were steel.
    suntour integrated gripshift/brake levers. (kept those for memory's sake)
    i pimped it out with shimano QUICK RELEASE hubs on araya rims and transx bar-ends!
    it had a violent headshake above 25Kph.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Nice pics of Europe. Not so scenic here.

Rode the Habitat for Humanity of Minnesota 500 last year. A little over 500 (508? 510?) in a week. Day 4 was 100 miles (measured from 104 to 108 depending on whose computer you used). The last half was into winds of 25 mph gusting 35-40. My pace fell off from 17.5 mph to 12.5 mph. Effective distance 120+ with more reasonable winds. The next day the wind was 30 gusting over 40, especially around woods and in creek vallies where it was funneled and made it hard to stay on the road. Over 1/3 of riders put their bikes on the trailer. I averaged the 76 miles at 11.2 mph WAY below expectations on that smooth pavement where we should have been able to roller coaster the hills. I was out of the Granny range four times. You slowed if you tried to coast the downhills. Middle of July and about 50 * F for a high. Effectively 115+ at my pace for the other days. Given I am gluten and dairy intolerant and could eat little at the stops, I am happy with effectively riding two long Centuries back to back in a week of 500 miles.

As you might guess, the sleeping was pretty good.

My job interfered this year. Maybe I do it agian next year. Raised almost $3000.

mtbr member
    145 miles on my Seven Axiom ti. Followed a never ridden brevet route from Hartford to Saratoga Springs.

mtbr member
    101 miles.

The ride that felt the longest was 25 on my single speed mtb at 7000-8000 ft elevation. I was WIPED at the end of that day.
    :wq

weirdo
    Yeah, I think for a lot of us the ride toughest ride and the longest ride were not the same. My toughest ride was about 40 miles worth of sandtraps when I was just sarting to bike again after many years of motorization. Had somebody drop me off in the next town with half a gallon of water tied to a broken rack and a couple sandwiches in a knapsack. Neither the water nor the sandwiches were enough. I had driven the route many times and it seemed short in a pickup. Also, funny how you don`t notice climbs (which I didn`t really see that day) and bad surfaces (which I had plenty of) until you actually pedal a certain route.

I got nothin'
    rodar, you said it. I just rode my longest mtb ride yesterday at 50 miles and I am worn out. And all single track too. Much more difficult that the longest road ride that I have completed at slightly more than twice the distance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    oh, toughest ride?
    my house to Hamilton and back, maybe 100km?
    started at midnight, was about 8 am when we got back.
    didn't conserve energy, blew everything pushing my way out.
    saw the asteroid fly overhead that night though, that was COOL.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    I must be super out of shape, the max ive ever ridden is maybe 25 miles
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    oh, toughest ride?
    my house to Hamilton and back, maybe 100km?.
    Did you climb the escarpment, too?

Conditioning, training, and proper clothes go a long way. I had my first 10 speed 1 week and my brohter bought one, so we rode 50 miles that Sunday. Tighty whities, blue jeans, and T shirts, 80 * F, down the Grand River Road (mostly old Ontario Highway 54) to Dunnville, then Port Maitland on Lake Erie and back 13 miles downstream from Brantford.. So much for building your miles 10% per ride and per week! So much for chamois and breathable clothing. The last 12 miles were real fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wish I could tell you, but I honestly don't remember a damn thing past about 3/4 the way in.

We got there, DESERTED, grumbled, wished there was gatorade or somesuch about, turned around. Pointed back to TO. Doubt we hit the escarpment.
    Past that point everything for me was head down, forcing my way down the road.
    I don't even remember which bike I rode! Had aero bars on it though.
    My friend SWEARS I fell asleep on them for a couple blocks on the highway back.
    There was a 24 hour coffee shop or truck stop about 5 am, had no $ so no coffee, but I must've stolen a cookie from someone, because I somehow got a cookie.
    That gave me enough sugar to burn the rest of the way home.
    Don't know how I got home, but my friend told me it was cartoon-ish, like watching the sugar rise in my eyes "like hot sauce in daffy duck!"
    Apparently I yelled "we go now or we don't go at all" and we left (or got kicked out, I dunno)

Again, this is all as it was told to me, I don't really remember much.

TO to Bowmanville and back was more fun, daytime, people, police...and enough corner stores to keep the gallon jugs of water working for us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    Wish I could tell you, but I honestly don't remember a damn thing past about 3/4 the way in.
    You didn't because even if you couldn't remember crawling up, you'd surely remember the trip back down!

There is nothing like having no idea about hyration, fueling, clothing, sun protection etc. to make a nice ride hell on wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    sun protection? dude... we started riding at midnight.
    sun was visiting the Japanese when we set out! LOL

but yeah, we were burning the road up to kill the summer.
    did it our last 2 years of high school. epic, last minute, a target we'd never try any other way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I rode my mountain bike commuter w/ 2 wheel trailer for 80km's one day. Was doing bunch of fun rides during Velopalooza. Had couple bricks in the trailer so it wouldn't bounce about too much.

mtbr member
    The S.T.P. rocks.
    200 miles in one day. 13+ hrs on a road bike wearing spandex. Mostly flat. Support all the way.

I hated that ride. Pace line the entire day. Won't do it again.

2 day ride is much nicer. Cruise pace. 8hrs ea day. Enjoy the scenary and the circus of 8000 riders going the same route.

This I will do again. Maybe in costume. SS mountain bike.
    Just get out and ride!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by traffic002
    200 miles in one day. 13+ hrs on a road bike wearing spandex.
    When I did my one-day STP last year, I wore MTB baggies, Jersey, Helmet and Shoes riding my road bike. I was the only guy in the rest stops dressed like a Mountain Biker. Somebody had to represent!

4WS
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    18 at the trails of markham park lol You guys are crazy! Maybe next year when im in better shape, 3 weeks experience so far!

weirdo
    Hang in there, 4WS! Whtever you rode after three weeks experience and conditioning will UNDOUBTABLY improve with more time and miles in the saddle.

And welcome to the forum. Are you planning to bike for transportation?
    Recalculating....

4WS
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Hang in there, 4WS! Whtever you rode after three weeks experience and conditioning will UNDOUBTABLY improve with more time and miles in the saddle.

And welcome to the forum. Are you planning to bike for transportation?
    Thanks for the warm welcome! Unfortunately everything around where I live is a bit too distant for commuting, but Ive been packing the bike in the car and going to a different area everyday and riding around for exercise.

Exercise and fun are my goals. Ive always thought i was in good shape until i started biking haha

Cheers!

Members who have read this thread: 0