What kind of car do you not drive to work?- Mtbr.com
    CB of the East

What kind of car do you not drive to work?

For those of you that have alternate transportation, what type of vehicle do you choose not to take to work because you like to bike? I actually have 2 very nice vehicles that I choose to keep parked.

My summer / good weather car is a Mazda RX-8. And my winter vehicle is a Chevy 3/4 ton Duramax Diesel pickup with a plow. I also do some property flipping so the truck is a work vehicle too. I don't care how strong your legs are with a "Big Dummy" and a trailer, hauling 3 yards of crushed rock or 2 sheets of drywall requires a truck I also have a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600 that almost never gets used which is kind of a shame.

I have an extra incentive to ride in the winter because I save about $8/day on diesel. Cold diesels get lousy mileage in the winter.

Bedwards Of The West
    Don't call it a 'car'

I've made a few changes from here, but other than a different roof rack, this is still what it looks like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What kind of car do you not drive to work?-2011-02-21_14-41-43_288.jpg  

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    An '05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport hatchback. A car needs 4 names??? Subarus are practically the VT state car.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Subies are the state car around here as well (Denver area).... but I drive a VW GTI...

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    An '05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport hatchback. A car needs 4 names??? Subarus are practically the VT state car.

wants a taco
    95 Honda Civic LX with just shy of 230,000 miles. I need something to get to the mountain bike trail, and I love me a good road trip every now and then. It also brought Me and my wife along with all our stuff from Knoxville to Colorado Springs during our move a few months ago. Handled it surprisingly well too.

Just another cycling blog...
    The Long Way Home

mtbr member
    The UP of Michigan is practically a subaru commercial.

I have 2 cars, both of wich aren't useable at the moment, so I have to bike no matter what.

I have 2x 1990 Volvo 240's. One is a wagon, with 201k on it, rusty but trusty.

My nice car is my 1990 240 sedan with only 150k, and no rust. Just needs a bit of mechanical love which I plan on doing this summer when I overhaul the whole damn car except for the motor and trans. It needs a new rear end, bushings, motor mounts, radiaor, hoses belts, wires, tires, wheels a new front fender and some cleaning, but it should make for a sweet ride when it's done.

my children

If there is one thing I love in this world more than bikes, beer and boobs it's Volvo's.

I just don't drive them because well, it's not good for your car to do short commutes and it saves money. I'd rather save the wear and tear and gas money and keep my cars in the driveway unless I need them for hauling, road trips or fun cruises with the local car guys. I treat my cars like I treat some of my bikes, as toy's lol.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    The reason my wagon isn't working is because of a stupid deer that ran into me at 70mph, and therefore I have no headlights or turnsignals. I'm working on getting it fixed. Insurance says it's totaled, but I know I can junkyard the parts I need for ~$250 and get her back on the road, it's just hard when it's the middle of winter and you gotz no garage.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    The reason my wagon isn't working is because of a stupid deer that ran into me at 70mph, and therefore I have no headlights or turnsignals. I'm working on getting it fixed. Insurance says it's totaled, but I know I can junkyard the parts I need for ~$250 and get her back on the road, it's just hard when it's the middle of winter and you gotz no garage.
    70 mph is quite fast for a deer.

CB of the East
    ^^ I was going to say, "Trusty" and "Unusable" didn't seem to fit the description of the same car.

I use to own a Volvo. I'll take the bikes, beer and boobs. They've probably improved since. I think mine was a 1980 that I owned in 1989. Can't remember; too much bikes, beer and boobs.
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 01-19-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Bedwards Of The West
    I have a Jeep problem similar to your Volvo problem. I'm on Jeep #4, and I have a dead one in my driveway also.

weirdo

94 Toyota pickup...

...with 236,000 miles on it, and I`m proud to say that I manage to squeeze out over 32 MPG as a year round average, for a groovin 142% of EPA rated mileage

1994 Toyota Pickup Gas Mileage (Toyota) - EcoModder.com
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    It was, surprised more on the car wasn't screwed, like the radiator.

Some jackoff was comming at me with his brights on a 2 lane, I can't see, then I see a flash in front of his headlights, I knew it was a deer, then smack. Ran right into the side of my driver side front fender, it rolled down to the front driver corner then flew about 150 yards in a spiral slide into the opposite shoulder of the road. I didn't even see this suicidal buck coming, nor did I have a chance to really brake.
    -Eric

CB of the East
    My wife almost got hit by a deer in the dark - and she was running. I've wondered about the chances of a bike deer collision. I've had many near misses, or is that hear hits, in a car. Riding rural roads after dark with a light seems like it could happen.

weirdo
    Nubcake, what`s in that trailer? Please tell me it`s full of scrap steel!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    My wife almost got hit by a deer in the dark - and she was running. I've wondered about the chances of a bike deer collision. I've had many near misses, or is that hear hits, in a car. Riding rural roads after dark with a light seems like it could happen.
    We had a deer run into a paceline on a road ride I was on a few years back. It was pretty chaotic but no one got seriously hurt.

I own a 2008 Chevy Colorado--use it for longer trips, bigger loads, and hauling the mountain bikes to the trailhead. Ride to work and drive to ride! Oh well, it works for me. (there ain't any trails within riding distance of my suburban homestead)

Bedwards Of The West
    I have made front tire/deer contact on my commute. I was actually pretty proud of myself because they usually scatter pretty quickly. I didn't go down, and felt more like I'd won an epic game of tag. Generally the closest I come is when they don't realize how fast I'm moving, and they go from that "if I stand still he won't see me" mode into full-on panic mode, peeling out on the pavement

I've also had deer that were 'grazing' on the shoulder swing their heads up into my path to see what I was (not realizing that I was coming up on them pretty quick). I've had a couple of these encounters that were close enough that if it was a buck, I could have gotten poked in the eye. Close enough that I could smell their breath.

I see them 9 out of 10 days on my commute...usually in groups, and pretty unphased by my presence becuase they're around the neighborhood all the time.

I had one run into the rear wheel of the family car (Toyota Sequoia) just a couple weeks ago. I think it bulls-eyed into the middle of the passenger rear wheel...right up out of the shoulder of the road and headfirst into the wheel. Did no damage (to the car) other than leaving quite a bit of hair lodged in the seam between the rim and the tire.

I will admit that I've started braking around them again after watching that african antelope youtube clip

CB of the East
    Wow, that's a lot of deer encounters. When I get to commute via trails in the winter I go through a deer yard that has maybe 30 of them in it but I'm going slow enough on those trails that I'm not worried about collisions. I'm more trying to not scare them so I can snap some pictures.... This thread is really off topic.

mtbr member
    I live in the middle of nowhere, deer are everywhere. I feel after driving for 8 years, and owning cars significantly more valuable than a 1990 Volvo 240, I'm pretty lucky to only have had one car/deer mishap. I have several friends who have had more than 2!!

As a side note, I wish I had my car today. With windchill the thermometer reads -19 degrees Fahrenheit. It's cold on a bike, like really cold.
    -Eric

jrm
    mtbr member

All week long

it saves the parking spot right in front of my place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What kind of car do you not drive to work?-4runner-8069s-001.jpg  

namagomi
    Higher than you think. For an animal that was supposed evolved to evade cougars and whatnot they seem to have pretty **** timing when it comes to avoiding me on a bike as i've always got to slam the brakes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    2004 Forester XT, 5spd. Great car, but bikes are more fun.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    The UP of Michigan is practically a subaru commercial.

I have 2 cars, both of wich aren't useable at the moment, so I have to bike no matter what.

I have 2x 1990 Volvo 240's. One is a wagon, with 201k on it, rusty but trusty.

My nice car is my 1990 240 sedan with only 150k, and no rust. Just needs a bit of mechanical love which I plan on doing this summer when I overhaul the whole damn car except for the motor and trans. It needs a new rear end, bushings, motor mounts, radiaor, hoses belts, wires, tires, wheels a new front fender and some cleaning, but it should make for a sweet ride when it's done.

my children

If there is one thing I love in this world more than bikes, beer and boobs it's Volvo's.

I just don't drive them because well, it's not good for your car to do short commutes and it saves money. I'd rather save the wear and tear and gas money and keep my cars in the driveway unless I need them for hauling, road trips or fun cruises with the local car guys. I treat my cars like I treat some of my bikes, as toy's lol.
    Volvo 240s ROCK! I miss mine (1976 242GT, 1982 turbo intercooled stickshift limited-slip’ped 245 wagon with 1986 intercooler, a larger turbo, remapped ECU, 5th injector “always on”).
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    So, the car I’m “not driving” is a 2005 Toyota Prius—a car which not only lacks soul, but is unsafe in an accident (unlike the 240 series Volvos), understeers like a greased fish on a linoleum floor, has lame-tard-o traction “control”, and the brakes suck… but I’ve gotten an average of 57.4MPG on a tank of gas before.

wants a taco
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Nubcake, what`s in that trailer? Please tell me it`s full of scrap steel!
    Its not as heavy as it looks, I was actually able to move the trailer around without a trailer jack. It is a combination of the car normally sits like the springs in the rear are sagging a little mixed with the back seat and trunk being piled high with stuff and the trailer had all that we were bringing with us for the move so lots of clothes, some bike stuff, no furniture or tv's though. Also lots of cookware (me and the wife love to cook) and a fair amount of tools.

Also remember this car was rated at roughly 95hp when new so it was never really intended to pull a trailer. I just took it slow (the max speed for the whole trip was just at 70mph but mostly 55-60mph and left plenty of room around other cars. It really did handle well though, I never had any o **** moments, even when the trailer tire went flat once.
    Just another cycling blog...
    The Long Way Home

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

downhill

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    The deer was going downhill.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Also remember this car was rated at roughly 95hp when new so it was never really intended to pull a trailer.
    I don`t doubt it. That`s why it`s impressive!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Volvo 240s ROCK! I miss mine (1976 242GT, 1982 turbo intercooled stickshift limited-slip’ped 245 wagon with 1986 intercooler, a larger turbo, remapped ECU, 5th injector “always on”).
    I had a boosted brick. Here was my previous Volvo.

I miss her, but I blew the motor up eventually and just didn't feel it was worth it to fix it. Yes, it was a Real 850 R. I hate being broke, otherwise I would have kept it, but this car was on a mission to bankrupt me, but I guess thats what modding a car does to you....

I dyno'd it at 320whp and 348 ft.lbs of torque at the wheels. It ran a 14.7 in the 1/4, not too shabby for a FWD automatic family sedan. I put in a 16t turbo, IPD tune, white injectors, Chrystler FPR, GM EBC module, Intake, Full 3in exhaust and DP and a RIP kit with full 2.5in IC piping. **** that car was fast, and I miss her so....

-Eric

mtbr member
    Some of you may recognize where this photo was taken too. Here's a hint, if you play Forza a lot, you'll probably be able to figure it out.

Kinda why the car broke all the time, but racing is just too much damn fun. One of these days I'll buy another fun toy...
    -Eric

CB of the East
    I took one of these 2 vehicles today. Hint, we had 6" of show over icy roads.

mtbr member
    A Volvo that is a bit newer, and much lamer, than the ones pictured already.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    2010 Jetta tdi 6 speed manual (this is a picture from the summer):

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    A Volvo that is a bit newer, and much lamer, than the ones pictured already.
    v40?
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Bingo.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Bingo.
    I almost got an XC 70, but the prospect of RWD was just too great to pass up. I never have had RWD before in my life, and damn is it liberating. Even with only like 50 whp, lol.

And honestly, it's no worse in the snow with snow tires than my FWD 850 was with snow tires. They do really well in the white stuff.
    -Eric

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I had a boosted brick. Here was my previous Volvo.

I miss her, but I blew the motor up eventually and just didn't feel it was worth it to fix it. Yes, it was a Real 850 R. I hate being broke, otherwise I would have kept it, but this car was on a mission to bankrupt me, but I guess thats what modding a car does to you....

I dyno'd it at 320whp and 348 ft.lbs of torque at the wheels. It ran a 14.7 in the 1/4, not too shabby for a FWD automatic family sedan. I put in a 16t turbo, IPD tune, white injectors, Chrystler FPR, GM EBC module, Intake, Full 3in exhaust and DP and a RIP kit with full 2.5in IC piping. **** that car was fast, and I miss her so....

Sub-14 time at the 1/4 back in 1997… 122S “Amazon” from 1963, handled quite well on an autocross circuit—damn I miss that car!!! Naturally-aspirated, RWD 4.56:1 LSD, 1g+ on skidpad. At 2,300lbs. it didn’t need more than 185HP and 7,200RPMs to get going. I attempted to use this car for a commuter car back in the 1990s to early 2000s, yet the roughly calculated 13MPG (of course driving style was a factor) for a 4-cylinder auto was sort of money-draining.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    1999 Chevrolet Cav, Base.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    So, the car I’m “not driving” is a 2005 Toyota Prius—a car which not only lacks soul, but is unsafe in an accident (unlike the 240 series Volvos), understeers like a greased fish on a linoleum floor, has lame-tard-o traction “control”, and the brakes suck… but I’ve gotten an average of 57.4MPG on a tank of gas before.
    Actually you can get those to go into oversteer... Wet road, going to fast into a tight curve in an unfamiliar familiar fleet vehicle tends to do that. The engine stopped when I stopped at a stop sign...I thought the car stalled and restarted the car first time I drove it. I won't even go into how long it took for me to figure out how to start the car the first time around. Who knew Prius needs the brake pedal depressed to start.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have a 2003 Subaru WRX I bought used about 5 years back. Absolutely love it - sporty when it needs to be and an excellent car to have in snow or rain.

Although, it took me a while to realize that I'm supposed to wave at other WRX drivers on the road. That was interesting

CB of the East
    ^^I keep thinking of moving to one of those from the RX-8. Similar fun factor but it's not immobilized in the winter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The WRX has never let me down and with basic maintenance has been easy and cheap to keep in shape. Great car and I'd always recommend it.

mtbr member
    2004 Tacoma SR5 4x4. I love this truck. I'd only owned it for a couple of weeks in the below photo iirc.

One Colorful Rider
    I drive a 2000 Ford Taurus Wagon. It has 71000 miles on it.
    I drive only to my Favorite Mountain Bike Trail in Wisconsin, and to Gnome Fest.
    Surprising enough when I went to West Virginia to see my Grandson and Daughters
    I got 28 MPG there and 30 MPG on the way home.

Blizzard of 2011 Groundhog Day 006 by normbilt, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Don't call it a 'car'

I've made a few changes from here, but other than a different roof rack, this is still what it looks like.
    I had one very similar for 7 years... just sold it due to a broken piston skirt and got a 06 Wrangler Unlimited this May. I have to admit that it was more the 'car' I drove than not this passed summer, but that had more to do with my ever increasing need to tote kids around and run errands than anything.

My little one starts kindergarden this fall, so I should be able to put him on the bus and ride in verses toting him to daycare in the AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ventura View Post
    The deer was going downhill.
    With a tail wind.

Bedwards Of The West
    thumbs up for another Jeeper

Normbilt, nice shot! This is my previous Cherokee, and the old Wrangler :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What kind of car do you not drive to work?-2011-02-25_13-46-41_216.jpg  

What kind of car do you not drive to work?-snowyjeep.jpg