What have you done to your commuter today? - Page 9- Mtbr.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 1,601 to 1,684 of 1684
    NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    I haven't commuted in 2 years. I got hit on my way home from work, and it effed me up. The physical damage healed pretty fast (although my back and shoulder still hurt), but I let the emotional stuff get to me. I couldn't ride on the road without hitting a ditch every time a car came by. A few weeks ago, I decided enough was enough. I picked up a Trek 4300 on Craigslist, and had the time of my life. I only got out a few miles, but those few miles were blissful. So, I quickly snagged a used brand new Jamis Renegade Expat. Tonight, I slapped my old lights on, installed a Brooks Cambium C17, and some SPD pedals.

It'll be a few weeks before I have the stamina to make the 37 mile commute to work. But I'll be there soon enough, three times a week.
    Wow, I think a lot of us were wondering what happened and if something like this might have happened. I'm glad to hear you're on the mend in some meaningful ways. Take care out there, man.
    dang

mtbr member
    Lots of stuff today.

Commuter 1, the converted MTB (26to700c),

Replaced quill stem with quill stem to threadless converter, Nitto. Added Bontrager stem with rise, purchased from the Boise Bike Project.

Then, changed out kinda english 3 speed type bars for a pair of Jones bars I got off guy here in town who swapped his out for Jones mustache style. Pre-wrapped and came with silicon grips. I wanted some more aero options for windy days. Need to adjust height. I think I can raise the adapter in the headtube a bit, as I squished it in there pretty far. Then will see if I want more rise on the stem. I think I like the reach. Bar ends clear my knees in smaller maneuvers, stretching out on the alternate hand positions feels good, other than may want to be a bit higher.

Commuter 2: "New" vintage Davidson Touring Bike, (and commuter)

Swapped out ladies' Avocet Touring saddle for my favorite WTB Rocket V, in black leatherette, with pretty subtle logos. A saddle I have used on my mountain bike and which I thought would look ok on the old bike, without a lot of flashy lettering.

Pulled old 5 speed Suntour freewheel and installed 6 Speed suntour freewheel, also purchased from the Boise Bike project. Gotta love $5 freewheels and stems. Cleaned it up a little (will probably take a little more cleaning, but works fine) and dropped right in. Adjusted the limit screws (particularly the outside limit) and works just fine! The small sprocket is still a 14 as originally, but the largest one is now 32 instead of 34, with an additional gear in the range. I like the gear spacing better.

Still need to clean up the cable and housing and replace the chain, and generally clean and re-lube/grease everything. Will be working on new stem and bar next on this one. And replacing the old tires that are dried out.

Pics taken while bike hung back up, and pics then flipped over for ease of viewing.

mtbr member
    Swapped out tires for Clement Strada LGG 32s. Had to ditch the current fenders. Will get SKS 45 Longboards when it is time.

Also, my new handlebar arrived. I stripped the old foam grips off, and started the swap process last night. I didn't order my brake levers soon enough, so will have to use the old ones while I try out the new bar, to see what length stem I want. Kinda thinking a 100mm will do it, but wanted to try out the wider bars first to see. Got some pink bar tape for a buck (may go get some more, it is good Specialized tape) to use while experimenting. I am not afraid to rock the Pink!

Did I catch a niner+?
    I added a dynamo setup finally.

Shimano DH-3D32
    BM IQ-X
    BM Secula Plus Fender Mounted
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    put a milk crate on my summer commuter and started the rebuild on my winter commuter.... ordered a rigid fork and headset spacers from amazon... picked up my paint and supplies.... milk crates came from my work
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your commuter today?-19905317_10154547754075303_1709234896914772627_n.jpg  

What have you done to your commuter today?-19905211_10154536720820303_4105405735203831933_n.jpg  

What have you done to your commuter today?-20031833_10154547758565303_4705851966617894551_n.jpg  

97 specialized rockhopper.- urban beater
    2013 GT aggressor 3.0- urban assault vehicle

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Bought some new wheels yesterday, for no good reason...

What have you done to your commuter today?-cane-creek-aeroheat-sg.jpg

26" Cane Creek Aeroheat SG wheels. Reviews made them sound durable and commuting seems like what they were meant for. I'm trying to find out if they are any different than Velocity Aeroheat rims. Most likely they are the same.

Would 26x2 tires be way too big for these? I'm thinking about buying some 26x1.5 tires and tubes if they fit better.

mtbr member
    Mounted 2 new Conti Speedrides 42-622 after 1 suffered a partly separated layer just above the wire bead.

Conti asked me to send it in and they would most probably warranty it, but I didnt want to wait so long and the new tires were 11€ each. So sending in a tire for 5€, getting a brand new one that I might be able to sell for 7€ just is not worth the effort.

Instead I went for an experiment: I took a saw and tried to cut the thing. Although I had a saw for iron/metals, I failed to cut the wirebead.

But the inside look was interesting. They have the socalled "ProTection" Technology installed. Look what the pic here is suggesting:
    https://www.continental-reifen.de/fa...ure-protection

And in the album you can can see what I found, plus the damage I had, plus the difference between old/new (where "old" is about 3500kilometers in 15 months)
    Link: https://goo.gl/photos/pqCFxcm35xu1Ysk69

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I added a Topeak Explorer rack, cursing how many times I had to bend, check, and bend some more to get those seat stay struts to line up. Next, I installed a $10 piece of plastic on the back so I could mount my NiteRider Solas to that rack. Then I put on my brand spanking new Ortlieb Sport Roller Classics. Then I spent a bunch of time figuring out how to give myself enough heel clearance. I anticipate fiddling with that some more.

Tomorrow, I am putting on a new Specialized Ground Control "Control" 2.3 on the front. My bike came with 2.1 Ground Control Sports. Still keeping them for the rear. Next up, Mucky Nutz face fender. Then I'll be done for a while.

Eager to see how my commute goes with the panniers.

mtbr member
    Converted my son's 20" mtb into an all purpose bike. Put on clip-on fenders, a racktime rear rack and 55mm schwalbe big apple tires. Looks good, rides good and he likes it good

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Converted my son's 20" mtb into an all purpose bike. Put on clip-on fenders, a racktime rear rack and 55mm schwalbe big apple tires. Looks good, rides good and he likes it good
    I converted my little one's tricycle into a penny-farthing. She hated it and threw it into a river.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

mtbr member
    That I can imagine buster

That Penny sure is a Far Thing: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny-farthing

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

New rotors

Finished my commuting to work bike with a pair of Shimano SMRT99S rotors. Totally over the top but they do work well...and look the part.
    What have you done to your commuter today?-p1050466-copy.jpgWhat have you done to your commuter today?-p1050469small.jpg

I'd rather be on my bike
    1. Fat bike has frozen brakes right now - soon to be fixed
    2. SS mtb converted back to SS from fixed, normal riser bar put back on, brakes put back on
    3. Road bike is good to go - new folding bead Continental Gatorskins to go on as the stock tires are getting worn down
    4. Cross bike got a full cleaning. Need to adjust the rear shifter cable as it is not sitting correctly under the frame
    5. Fixed gear got a new crank - carbon crank cracked
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    OK, I lied back in August, but not intentionally. While having my front and rear hubs maintained, I asked the LBS to mount a new chain... apparently a no-go because it was skipping and I had ridden the bike so much that I had worn out my 7 month old drive train. LBS advised me to just ride it into the ground, but I am rather risk averse and the thought of a chain at 75-100% wear snapping in the middle of nowhere in the darkness in 30-40 degree temperatures didn't appeal to me, so...

I upgraded the drive train. I figure it cost me an extra $75 (shifter and rear derailleur) since I already needed a cassette, chain, and new chainring. Upgraded to 1x10 with 34T up front and 11-36 on the back, which is perfect for my commute and fitness rides. Very happy moving from Altus to Zee shifter, and non-clutch to clutch RD.

Of course, the moment I upgraded my bike started creaking like mad. Was it the drivetrain? Nope. It was the seatpost. Grrrr...

mtbr member
    On the main bike:
    Cleaned the entire bike
    Put the conti wintercontacts back on
    Cleaned and greased the slide dropouts
    Cleaned, lubed and tensioned the chain
    F'ed up the brakepads with wd40, new ones ordered already
    Front dynamohub got more play, will need replacement sooner or later

On the spare bike:
    put the replacement sd7 vbrakes on that I got after a recall

mtbr member
    Main bike:
    -removed bearing play on front dynamo hub (Appeared to be very easy in my case)
    -cleaned brake, rotor and rotor joint on the wheel

Bought a new second-hand balance bike for my son this week, a Puky LR Ride. Same size as the previous one but with a rear shock and a V-Brake on the rear wheel. So I had to change the Schwalbe Black Jack studded tires to the new balance bike and put the stock tires back on the old one. The new one was equipped with Schwalbe Big Apple tires, not bad either so those stay in the parts bin.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I woke up to a the first blanketing of snow for this season. I decided to install the Kendra Klondikes I found on CL for my daily commute. They worked just fine, but given the not-too-slick conditions, I think any traction tire would've been sufficient.
    A little background: I'm new to the forum, but I thought I'd share. I switched over to my winter weather commuter. It's an '87 Diamond Back Ascent. I'm in the process of converting it to single speed or possibly using an internal 2-speed hub, like the Sram Automatix. Right now I just removed the derailleurs and adjusted the chain length to fit somewhere in the middle. I have a quick 3/4 mile commute, and my goal is to ride every day. Having a snow plan is necessary, so I was excited to find these studded tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Main commuter bike:
    -New pads finally installed. Ordered them Saturday 2 weeks ago and they arrived last Tuesday. Could not install them before yesterday night...
    I screwed up the original pads with oil but after cleaning/sanding the pads with brake cleaner, I managed to get some braking power back. But the new cheapo pads are way better, although not as good as the original organic pads.

Son #2 "commuter" balance bike:
    -Managed to fit 20" fenders to the bike. Front one fits without much hassle, looks a bit awkward, but as long as he stays clean its ok for me.
    Rear fender had to be cut shorter and made to cuts on the side to allow it to bend onto the seatpost. This also allowed it to go almost horizontally over the rear wheel for best coverage. Everything fitted with cable ties -> best invention ever...
    -Renewed the brake cable and adjusted the brake lever. Put it more horizontally and shortened the reach of the lever with the adjuster screw. Now he can grab the lever much easier.

Love that Puky LR Ride balance bike. Seems well made and also well thought of. Brake cable has continuous housing and routing through the main tube to keep everything clean and it prevents tangling up when getting on/off it.

Pre/Post pics:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/LkO7BIWLW26KBqYi2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dlIrAVM8V3QmkXqg2

mtbr member
    2nd spare commuter/trekking/rigid mtb bike:
    Managed to mount a front rack despite lacking lowrider eyelets in the mid of the fork. Used hoseclamps and some improvised rigging. We will see how it works on the trial rides next spring.

Oustanding work: mount the new v brakes when I have found a wheel with a dynamohub in the front for my USB charger, so that I can charge my phone and camera along the way

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Pair of Mavic Yksion Elite Allroad tyres 30mm. These are tubeless. Used Mavic sealant. No problems fitting and they really have improved the ride. Highly recommended.
    FSA Orbit Z Neco headset 15mm CF spacer and CF top cap...this replaced the FSA steel cup caged ball bearing version that had been in the frame for 5 years and came as standard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your commuter today?-p1060248l.jpg  

What have you done to your commuter today?-p1060247-l.jpg  

mtbr member
    2nd spare commuter/trekking/rigid mtb bike:

Oustanding work: mount the new v brakes when I have found a wheel with a dynamohub in the front for my USB charger, so that I can charge my phone and camera along the way
    Found a wheel before christmas but when I got the package, it turned out to be a 28" wheel so not useable. Guy apparently didnt know what he was selling.

Luckily I found a wheel here in town 3 days ago and picked it up thursday night. Mounted it today along with the front brake. Put on conti wintercontacts in 50mm but they measure only 45mm, a typical conti issue. After a testride I am pleased with the bike and was pleasantly surprised by the braking power of the new avid sd 7 v brakes that I got for the bike. Curious though how they will perform in the wet though.

Basically the bike is finished to what I had in mind. I planned to use the dynamohub to charge my.phone when I use it for navigationg. But now that I have the dynamohub I am starting to wonder if I put a light on it anyway...lets see if something cheap flies buy.

mtbr member
    Main bike:
    Installed a bigger rotor on the rear wheel, 180mm magura storm rotor instead of the 160mm avid g2cs rotoe. Found the magura rotor cheap on ebay here for half the price, 20€ incl mailing.
    Installed new original bb7 organic pads instead of the cheap ones I had before, found the pads for half the price on ebay from somebodys parts bin. Unused and in the sealed original package, 22€ incl shipping instead of 45€ in the cheapest shop.

Wife's bike:
    Son managed to put his shoe in the wheel and broke a spokenipple. Had some spare spokes lying around so luckily I could fix it immediately. First time I had to do something with that wheel and I noticed that the bushings in the spoke holes are totally rusted. In addition the spokes are laced such that the valve stem is between 2 spokes that cross above it, so it wasnt easy to put the pump on the valve. Would have expected better from people that build a rohloff wheel. On the longterm a new rim will be needed I guess....

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I added new tires to my hardtail MTB. Kenda Komforts 27.5 X 2. Looking forward to more riding on pavement this year. I am in Michigan and its mid winter here. I should be out at the end of March/early April.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your commuter today?-img_0195.jpg  

mtbr member
    I swapped the On One Midge for a 46cm Ritchey Venturemax Comp last weekend. Tweaked the position of the levers a bit last night and after today's commute I think I have it. I am glad it worked out, I had to get a new stem and top mounted brakelevers too because I had a 25,4 Midge and the Venturemax has a 31,8mm clamp area, so the investment was ~100€ in total for the stem, bar, levers and cork bartape.

More info is in the Venturemax thread in the Ritchey forum.

mtbr member
    Son's 20" MTB:
    Installed a new shifter with new inner and outer cable. He now has 7 gears again (The old shifter indication showed gear nr. 4-7 only, the new one all numbers 1-7).

Main bike:
    Put on new inner shifting cables. Also blew out the outer cables and there was indeed some water in them, although the old inner cables were not rusty and still seemed to be well lubed after 3.5 years. They started to fray though so I replaced them. Hoping now they will not freeze up anymore.

turtles make me hot
    I stopped riding my 20" wheeled Dahon folder to work when the ice and snow started. I took this opportunity to give it a much needed re freshening.
    I replaced the Enduro bearings in the Bike Hub Store rear hub and got a new Anti Bite freehub. I replaced the Shimano bottom bracket, the chain, the brake pads and brake cables. While replacing the shifter cable, I found a big groove in the shifter body of the cheap grip shifter. I replaced it with a better shifter. I used Rock N Roll Lube's Cable Magic on all the cables. Wow! Great stuff. Using that on everything from now on.
    I replaced the 580mm handlebar with a 600mm bar, new silicone grips and I replaced the three year old Schwalbe Marathon Supremes that they don't make any more with brand new Marathons. The old tires were 1.6". The new ones are 1.75. I took the bike for a spin today. Bike rolls like steel wheels on rails. Shoulda changed the tires last year. Can't wait to start using it again.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Two flats in two days made me go tubeless on the commuter.

Therefore a pair of WTB Cruz (700x37) go on the commuter.

Hopefully, this helps.

What have you done to your commuter today?-wtbcruz.jpg
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

jrm
    mtbr member
    For some reason my rear wheel jumped out of the non-drive dropout and bend the brake rotor to heck. Tried to true it up without any success.

mtbr member
    i added a 160 mm rear rotor to my Haanjo
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    What have you done to your commuter today?-carbonfork.jpg

Either I doubled the value of my bike or reduced the value of the carbon fork by installing it.

Class Clown

New Frame

Old frame stripped out DS BB threads somehow. So got this one from China and built up the bike for the summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your commuter today?-imag0063.jpg  

What have you done to your commuter today?-imag0064.jpg  

What have you done to your commuter today?-imag0065.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice job but I'm going to guess those brakes are a little overkill!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

jrm
    mtbr member
    installed an extra set of hydros i had laying around. Today i need to improve the interface between the frame and sliding dropouts. Then align everything and it should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Transformed my cockpit this week. All new carbon bits. Went for a new bar/Stem combo, carbon post, saddle, and even splurged on a carbon seat post clamp.
    I saved over 1lb. from the stock set up. But more notcibly is the comfort I gained in the front end. The carbon bar/Stem combo flexes more and really takes the chatter out of the road. I haven't noticed much from the rear end, but overall, very happy. Slowly but surely dialing in my commuter!

8mths old, with 2300mi on 'er

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jrm
    mtbr member
    Had shoulder replacement surgery 5 weeks ago and cant drive so ive been having to walk and/or take the bus to the market, stores and carry everything home. Last week i began thinking of setting up my commuter so that i could ride it one handed and carry stuff. So yesterday i installed a nashbar "sixer" rack using the canti posts and zipped a wald 139 basket to it. In order to keep weight off the operated on arm/shoulder i added a couple of spacers under the stem and replaced the surly open bar with a old easton riser i had laying around and added some esi grips. Rode it some 15 miles yesterday and the set up works well but i still have some drivetrain issues.

Pena
    Oct 2018
    Here is my daily commute ride.
    Filmed today. The weather was slightly rainy, but who cares?
    What do you think?
    https://youtu.be/Fb8LTDBInig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pena View Post
    Here is my daily commute ride.
    Filmed today. The weather was slightly rainy, but who cares?
    What do you think?
    https://youtu.be/Fb8LTDBInig
    Cant tell about the bike, can only see its got pretty fat tires and a rigid blue fork.

But that route is not a commute, its an epic ride!!

mtbr member
    Picked up a set of PDW Mud shovels for the Timberjack, since it does double duty as the wet and snowy weather bike. I just can’t bear to clutter up the lines of the Warbird with fenders...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Wrenched a bit today on the bikepacking / cx bike. Put in a wheel with dynamohub in the front to charge my phone and mounted a schwalbe marathon supreme in the rear. Bought the front wheel used and it came with a tube and marathon supreme in the same size so I just had to swap the front brake rotor.

Also installed the topeak seatpost rack with corresponding click-on trunkbag. Even found a blinkie to mount on the bag so with a front light I could even ride in the dark.

Will now start to experiment with strapping drybags on the rack and handlebar to see where everything fits and how much should go in the backpack. My ultimate goal is no backpack but I have to find out if I can achieve it.

Also looking for crankset in 170mm to replace the 175mm ones that came with the bike.

mtbr member
    Installed a new mt800 mtb bb bearings on the main bike. The old one died of water ingestion while standing still outside for almost 2 weeks....hope that these bearings have better seals too.

mtbr member
    Installed used 170mm cranks I got cheap but after a short loop I am not satisfied. When I shift from the bigger to the smaller chainring the chain sometimes lies with a side of it on the inner chainring, with the other side it leans against the big chainring and slips. So I ordered a brandnew crankset and annoyed myself because the price went up from 78 to 92 compared to 2 weeks ago. So I paid a price for being cheap this time. At least I think I can get rid of the other cranksets without a loss.

And I have decided that I dont like the tiagra 10sp brifters and the spyre brakes on the bike. I was wearing thin gloves and still the hoods feel very hard in my hands, not sure how that will work out on long rides. And worse, when I grab the brake levers there is the risk they slip away from my gloves by moving inwards and shifting instead of braking. I think I should have gone for a bike with sram levers. Afaik their double tap system has brake levers that can only move to brake and not shift. Probably I am going to ride the bike 1 or 2 seasons and then try to get rid of it fro almost the same price that I got it for. We'll see about that later then..

mtbr member
    ^^ no one wrenched on their bikes since february?

I installed a brandnew pair or conti top contact winter II this afternoon. Took me 45minutes to mount them and then another 1.5hrs to cut of all the rubber hairs with swiss army knife scissors. I had to, those hairs were rubbing on the fenders.

I rode the first pair for about 10tkm/6tm before I managed to damage the rear one. They looked like they were only halfway worn, so to me it is worth the time if they will last so long again.

Moderator Moderator
    Nothing exciting, new chain. Came down a hill at 35mph, got the green, and when I leaned to take a right turn, the chain dropped off to the outside. Seing as this had never happened with the 1x11 wolftooth chainring, I knew something was up. Check yer chains!

mtbr member
    I fixed a cold solder joint in the taillight. Some issues arose with my DIY headlights, so I also replaced my DIY twin XML lights with 2 Raveman CR900's (Cree XM-L2 emitters). These have a Fresnel lens in front of the usual conical lens to provide a decent cutoff. I think they could still use a hood to cut a bit more of the stray light on the 450 lumen setting and higher. (3 hour runtime). The 900 lumen lights up tree branches above the road pretty well (1.5 hour runtime). The 200 lumen level (6 hour runtime) is kind to motorists but may not be enough light for me on a fast downhill. Kinder than my old lights were. So some stuff to sort out. They have a nice high power flash mode (350 lumens, 16 hour runtime) I will use as a DRL.

What have you done to your commuter today?-exm5iz.jpg

mtbr member
    Reflectors and lights in action (camera flash):

What have you done to your commuter today?-cnmlsk.jpg

I also have front and rear helmet lights so they should see me.

mtbr member
    The new fenders:

What have you done to your commuter today?-bxcjmo.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow brianmc, that is impressive lighting!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    De-gunked my front derailleur as it required a tap with my foot to drop into the smallest chainring. Need to replace the cables/housing too but I'm waiting for some parts to come in so I can just knock it all out at once.

Na
    Feb 2019
    Finally got rid of the sram level brakes and installed my new Shimano SLX m7000 with cooling fins. Very happy with the result.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Changed my rear tire from Control Fast Trak 2.3 to Grid Slaughter 2.3. Can't tell yet, after two rides in quite windy conditions, if the extra nearly 1/2 pound of weight is having any affect on my pedaling. I seem to be in the same gears, but standing up to pedal up some hills seems to have gotten a bit more difficult - that could stem from being tired out by the wind, though.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Miles View Post
    Changed my rear tire from Control Fast Trak 2.3 to Grid Slaughter 2.3. Can't tell yet, after two rides in quite windy conditions, if the extra nearly 1/2 pound of weight is having any affect on my pedaling. I seem to be in the same gears, but standing up to pedal up some hills seems to have gotten a bit more difficult - that could stem from being tired out by the wind, though.
    It's always like that though. Make one change and something else happens at the same time.
    dang

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    My frame was developing rust in a few places where the paint had worn away, so I repainted it over the weekend and replaced the BB. Used an aerosol powder coat from Spray.Bike. Now I need some kind of frame protection so the paint doesn't get worn off again.

What have you done to your commuter today?-p1040450e.jpg

What have you done to your commuter today?-p1040456e.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lesoudeur View Post
    Finished my commuting to work bike with a pair of Shimano SMRT99S rotors. Totally over the top but they do work well...and look the part.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050466 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	1158054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050469small.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	1158055
    What fenders are those? I want to add fenders to my commuter, but it's just too sexy to go with full townie-style fenders. I like the look of those a lot better. Here's my bike for reference:

jrm
    mtbr member
    SS convert. 43/16 new A23/formula wheels..basket...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Wired up the dynamo light...Exposure Revo on Schmidt Son 28. Trying to resist putting on the fenders as long as I can but it's nearly time, one more soggy commute ought to do it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    It's been a week+, but adding the Ergotec M-99 has been a fantastic upgrade:

What have you done to your commuter today?-img_4393.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Or more accurately, the new bearings. Front hub of the Terra was complaining, dropped her off at the LBS with the fix-it-up-chappy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I just cleaned and re-lubed the chain.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Or more accurately, the new bearings. Front hub of the Terra was complaining, dropped her off at the LBS with the fix-it-up-chappy.
    Sounds old school.

I just got some new treads for the winter, standard puncture resistant 28c tires on the SS commuter. New chain and freewheel too. Good to go for another XXXX miles.

The cross bike gets a new rear tire, and the fatbike needs nothing, yet.

All commuters, when I'm not riding them for fun.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

jrm
    mtbr member
    ordered a Cetma 5-bar portuer front rack for the SSCX. Bought the unpainted version and will using p/u truck bedliner to cover it. Thinking of using the same bed liner on e-bikes florescent green frame..so its all an [email protected] this point..

NDD
    mtbr member
    A couple days ago, but new rubber. Surly Extraterrestrial 29x2.5". Also within the last month new bar tape and a nicer bottom bracket. With these new tires, I really need all of my spinning bits to be more efficient while I'm getting up to speed!

Pic for cyclingdutchman, because I know he likes this model of bicycle.
    dang

mtbr member
    My back wheel is now far enough out of true that it's making a weird noise from the studs on the pavement. It's not rubbing the chainstays yet.

I remember back in the days of rim brakes, this sort of thing used to be an action item.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    .... Pic for cyclingdutchman, because I know he likes this model of bicycle.....
    you are right, it would be exactly my thing if it had adjustable dropouts, so I could ride it with my Rohloffwheel without a chain tensioner. Thanks for reminding me of a dreambike

I replaced my rear light today and went from a Busch&Muller Flat S Plus: https://www.bumm.de/de/produkte/dyna...rent/329.html?
    to a
    Busch and Muller Line Small:
    https://www.bumm.de/de/produkte/dyna...53234ask.html?

I liked the first one better but the connectors on the bottom side and they were squeezed by the fender. After replacing the cable shoes 3x I decided to go for a smaller one. Looks better and sleeker, and it was cheaper too

mtbr member
    Old girl got drop bars!

What have you done to your commuter today?-img_20200119_112029297_hdr.jpg

NDD
    mtbr member
    you are right, it would be exactly my thing if it had adjustable dropouts, so I could ride it with my Rohloffwheel without a chain tensioner. Thanks for reminding me of a dreambike
    Yes, but remember, it also has to be Ti, now!

Quote Originally Posted by theruns View Post
    Old girl got drop bars!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200119_112029297_HDR.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	1308861
    Dang look at that! I love the look of old geo bikes with drop bars. I've been toying around with putting mustache bars on my single speed but it's really the only bike I've got set up for trail riding so I probably just won't.
    dang

jrm
    mtbr member
    gears...34/40 - 11/32 10 spd..the dad bike is complete

mtbr member
    NDD actually I am not really looking for a fargo ti, but it is the only frame so far that ticks all my dreambike boxes. The steel version is too heavy. The trek 920 is aluminium which would be acceptable too, but the fargo is only steel or ti. Steel is too heavy, ti is quite pricey.

NDD
    mtbr member
    NDD actually I am not really looking for a fargo ti, but it is the only frame so far that ticks all my dreambike boxes. The steel version is too heavy. The trek 920 is aluminium which would be acceptable too, but the fargo is only steel or ti. Steel is too heavy, ti is quite pricey.
    I hate to break it to you but the stock 920 and steel Fargo are the same weight.
    dang

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Steel is too heavy, ti is quite pricey.
    Habanero, Dutchman.

CB of the East
    Habanero, Dutchman.

mtbr member
    ^^Does the habanero have the same tire clearance of a fargo?

^^is the fargo frame just as stiff as the trek?

NDD
    mtbr member
    h a b a n e r o
    dang

CB of the East
    There is an echo in here.

The Habanero says it will take up to a 45C tire.

I hear Litespeeds are nice too but pricier than the H A B A N E R O.

mtbr member
    *gettinouttaherebeforeitgetsexpensive*

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Is that really big enough?
    dang

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I hear Litespeeds are nice too but pricier than the H A B A N E R O.
    With disc brakes, I bet it would take even a wider tire.

Litespeed Ti is even pricier than Fargo Ti.

Don't overthink it, Dutchman. Habanero.

3Al / 2.5V Brushed Titanium Frames from $995

Tell Mark that Brian-squared sent you.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Tell Mark that Brian-squared sent you.
    LOL.

Yeah, a frame for $995 is in the impulse buy range. Get the frame and build it as you collect pieces. Of course once you get the frame that turns into about a week.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Yeah, a frame for $995 is in the impulse buy range.
    Is it, though? Unless you're just kidding, but I think this is not true for most people.
    dang

CB of the East
    If you need a new pen in the office you just buy one.

With age comes wisdom. But it also comes with 2 adult kids that are through college and on their own. Money tends to loosen up more.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Ah that's the difference. I have no children, but am yet a fledgeling and really only started a solid career two years ago. Plus I end up spending money on fixing things around the house... The joys of living in a 117 year old house!

Yesterday what I did to my commuter was pop a tube jumping curbs like a hoodlum when I knew the tires needed air. So when it stops raining I'll clean the whole bike and put a new tube in.
    dang

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    With age comes wisdom. But it also comes with 2 adult kids that are through college and on their own. Money tends to loosen up more.
    I put three through college. Every time one graduated, I got a raise

mtbr member
    Came across this today, and figured that this would be the thread for it:

https://tesla-pump.com/?fbclid=IwAR3...7tX6bIPDmLNZXM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Came across this today, and figured that this would be the thread for it:

https://tesla-pump.com/?fbclid=IwAR3...7tX6bIPDmLNZXM
    I love how they misspell their own company name. Is it TeslaPump or TesslaPump?

mtbr member
    That Tesla pump is a pound in weight. Quite a bit more than my current pump and a lot pricier. It will likely drop in price in the future, but it will not get any lighter.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789