What do your routes look like?- Mtbr.com
    weirdo

What do your routes look like?

A few really nice route reports have turned up on this board. Let`s see the rest of them! I carried a camera along for my commute yesterday and the day before- here`s what my alternate looks like (regular route is closed for construction). It isn`t long or very exciting, but I do think it`s kind of interresting.
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-commute456100

1. Out the driveway
    2. My neighborhood
    3. My regular route- can`t turn there now
    4. Pavement ends- No Motor Vehicles
    5. Abandoned desert road
    6. Swan "Lake" (Swan Swamp wouldn`t sound as nice)
    7. Last remnants of a small WW II internment camp
    8. Cut over behind the warehouse
    9. County nature study area
    10. Duck blind at the NSA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do your routes look like?-dscn0279.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-dscn0280.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-dscn0283.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-dscn0284.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-dscn0286.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-dscn0290.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-dscn0292.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-dscn0295.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-dscn0297.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-dscn0301.jpg  

Recalculating....

weirdo

Second half of my commute

1. Construction that I have to detour around
    2. Return to pavement- a few blocks of warehouses
    3. A few blocks of residential zone
    4. Traffic! No signals on my regular route
    5. Work
    6. Last piece of ST (does it count?)
    7. Roll around to the back door
    8. End of commute.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do your routes look like?-dscn0304.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-dscn0305.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-dscn0308.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-dscn0314.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-dscn0316.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-dscn0317.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-dscn0318.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-dscn0319.jpg  

Recalculating....

Bedwards Of The West
    Hey that's not bad! A couple of those pictures in the first post make it look like you're heading to work in the Black Rock Desert. Crazy the remoteness you can go through so close to civilization.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...Disch:1&itbs=1

I ride from downtown west (to the right) then up to Nose hill then from here east (to the left)...

Nice ride.

You can see the mountains

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1812437
    Last edited by jeffscott; 09-01-2010 at 12:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Nothing too exciting on mine, I am due to take some photos of a few of the better landmarks along the way.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-work-Houma-LA

weirdo
    Wow, I didn`t have any idea that Calgary was so big. C`mon, Jeff- load up some enroute shots!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Ovaries on the Outside
    Man, I was going to post, but rodar y rodar owns any route I take. What an ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Post anyway, I want to see what routes look like in the northwest.

mtbr member
    Somebody's going to have nice routes and I'm OK that it's Commuter boy and Rodar Y rodar. My pics will make theirs look even better in comparison. Now how to take them without being run over.

Bedwards Of The West
    A few randoms from my route options. I'll spare you the play-by-play since you probalby saw it in the other thread:

I don't have pictures of the bike path along the river... I go that way once a week or so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do your routes look like?-bridge.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-sun_day.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Wow, I didn`t have any idea that Calgary was so big. C`mon, Jeff- load up some enroute shots!

Just over 1 million people...There is a ring road bike path 80 km long.

I lost the charger to my cell phone a long time ago...

My camera died....

Just not very good a high tech stuff....camera's and cell phones maybe one day.

Both photos are on the route.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by dixie whiskey
    Post anyway, I want to see what routes look like in the northwest.
    Next week when I take the long way back I'll bring my camera. Hopefully it will be soaking wet for full effect.

weirdo
    No macro shots of passing vehicles please, Brian.

I was going to remind you what CommuterBoy`s route looked like, but he just took care of that for me. And we haven`t seen all of Xplorer`s route yet either- betcha that`s a route worth drooling over.
    Recalculating....

The Brutally Handsome
    Sorry Umarth!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do your routes look like?-photo-1.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-photo-5.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-photo-2.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-photo-3.jpg  

What do your routes look like?-photo-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    No macro shots of passing vehicles please, Brian.
    Dang! You mean I lost all that skin getting the F150's oil drain plug with the 4WD front axle out of focus in the background?! You can't believe how hard it is to be composed and focused when in the process of being run over!

And we haven`t seen all of Xplorer`s route yet either- betcha that`s a route worth drooling over.
    Kathryn's OK with me doing that, just not drolling over mtbxplorer!

Today's ride 30.03 including warm up and cool down. 12.1 mph outbound into 10-20 mph (part was stopping and starting for pics). 20.3 mph return, mostly with the wind.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Until 2005, the subdivision streets were so rough I did not dare risk my bike's road rims. The ride from the warm up to the cool down is 25 miles (from the street out of my subdivision to Hartsville gas station and back). They drive fast but mostly in their lane unlike the narrower County Roads where someone may crest a hill in the center of the road doing 70 or pass you on a blind hill against oncoming traffic. Shock for everyone when those happen.

The falls and the Virginia Bluebells I showed back in May in this thread, are about 2 miles south of the gas station.

You have to eat and they don't grow a lot of food on mountainsides. For the Midwest, it is a pretty road and nice ride.

mtbr member
    Wow, all I have is city streets and MUPs. I would take pictures, but no one would care.

mtbr member
    I count any bike use that keeps a vehicle in the driveway as commute miles since I am without gainful employment, presently.

The nice parts of the route out to the orchard look much the same as State Route 46, or my subdivision (above). Sometimes the destination is worth a few pics.

So here is the newer of two city reservoirs looking North from the High Point Orchard Drumlin (glacial deposit hill). Those are dwarf apple trees and the sign by the road has a big red apple on top marking Highpoint Orchard. I 74 lies between the far (North) side of the reservior, but about 40 feet lower, and South of the trees you are seeing only the tops of.

I cheat and use the owners' nice paved drive rather than work the loose gravel drive any more than I have to. Drivers hog the road leab=-ving me loose gravel so this is safer.

Winds were murder today, good I left the front paniers and the big cooler at home. Coming to the orchard empty over the overpass I met a Venturi effect of the wind having to hump over it. It was gusting over 20 without that! I was riding hard downhill (usually a top gear situation) in 42-26 thinking I might have to drop to 42-30 but just refusing to go that low on a downhll. Jeesh. (Some unprintable random thoughts while commuting here.) I was concentrating on keeping the RPM like I was reaching the top of a hill and simply would not shift on principle. Later, with 25 pounds of fruit on board I climbed it on the way back in 42-17 and wasn't working hard. Likely could have been in 42-15 for the same effort I expended going down the incline. Crazy.

Looking East with the bike leaning on the backside of the new water line connector seen just right of center of last picture. New water tower (Bulbous tower), and to the right of it the curl of the road to the aforementioned overpass, to the right of that and left of the bush/tree is the new Honda Plant (Civics). A part of the reason for new infrastructure of the State routes and this road.

This is a 17 mile round trip using the route I take. You can do it shorter but not safer. Actually got it into 42-11 three sections on the way back. once is something to remark on so three says a lot about the wind.

I get a lot more respect or maybe it's arm's length treatment by drivers with this rig. I think they fear I'm crazy and it is contagious.

After unloading and afixing the front 'panniers', its off to the Farmer's Market on the County Courthouse Square. So first, the required photo with the 'World Famous' Tower Tree, Had to shoot it blind, so cut part of the tree off.

Then to market:

The ride past the metal recycler, the stock yard (a good reason for year-round fenders), jail, are not scenic (literally the other side of the tracks) though the piece of new pavement (last year) from the stockyard past the jail to Park Street is some of the smoothest riding asphault in the county. Both bikes sing on that street.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 09-04-2010 at 05:14 AM.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    I count any bike use that keeps a vehicle in the driveway as commute miles since I am without gainful employment, presently.
    I`m glad you see it that way because the second set of pictures is much easier on the eyes

I remember that tree tower from an earlier post- must have been yours. That big white thermometer looking thing in the third shot is the water tower you mentioned, isn`t it? I`ve seen those before, but ours don`t look anything like that.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I`m glad you see it that way because the second set of pictures is much easier on the eyes
    A lot of corn and soybeans, some nice farmsteads and trees and a winding up and down road of decent pavement. Pastoral.

I remember that tree tower from an earlier post- must have been yours. That big white thermometer looking thing in the third shot is the water tower you mentioned, isn`t it? I`ve seen those before, but ours don`t look anything like that.
    First of these self-supported water towers I saw, was built was about 1967 in the city where I went to high school. If I remember correctly it was the 6th or 7th that had been built. When they weld the last rings of the bottom of the bulb at the top before the ones that curve back to the center, it looks like a giant Champagne glass. My shopping route goes by the old tower downtown, and it has six legs, a center column and a large ovoid tank. Classic 1920-1960 style..

mtbr member
    Rode the extended 36 mile route past the gas station turn around of the 25 mile route. Nice rock cut as road drops here toward the creek. On my return looking back.

Bedwards Of The West
    Man, I would go nuts living somewhere where you could see so far without so much as a foothill breaking up the view.

mtbr member
    This is 'gently rolling'. Now Champaign-Urbana IL, that's big sky country! I am used to a bit more roll like North or East of town, and lots of trees blocking the view of the horizon. They hit Amish buggies on those roads, so what chance would a lone cyclist have?

Now you know the reasons for the route envy. I'm deprived (or is that depraved, I get those mixed up!)

weirdo
    I know what you mean about straight line horizons. Whenever I get in CA`s central valleys I feel... lost? weird?
    Whatever it is, it comes mostly from being completely out of sight distance from any mountains.

Easterners probably feel just as strange in the middle of NV deserts with no trees in sight.
    Recalculating....

mouthbreather
    Sep 2005

My Commute (A Very Special Photo Essay): Part 1

Oregon City, OR to West Linn, OR

Everyone morning I am greeted with the two most beautiful creatures on earth: a pair of sausage biscuits. Sadly, I am not joking.

Mile 0: I must leave the house at 6:30 am to make the the first ferry launch. This photo story does not accurately depict this time frame because angry photographer won't get up that early.

Mile 2: My ride quickly turns into farmland, and I can literally hear roosters crowing as the sun comes up. Here, I am passing a dahlia farm. Not that flowers excite me or anything.

Mile 3: If I get to the river by 6:45 am, I can catch the first ferry. Otherwise it's about a 10 minute wait.

Mile 3.5: This steep climb off the ferry almost makes me begin to regret my choice of sausage biscuits. Then I remember their moist, meaty goodness.
    Last edited by vasdeferens; 11-10-2010 at 10:56 PM.

mouthbreather
    Sep 2005

My Commute (A Very Special Photo Essay): Part 2

Mile 5ish: More wholesome northwest farmland.

Mile 6ish: Sometimes I pick berries from the side of the road. Yeah, I said it.

Miles 6-9: The long, lonely climb into West Linn. Luckily there's a fast descent at the end, so I'm less sweaty when I arrive at school (where I teach).

Mile 9.5ish: I quickly cast off my spandex superhero costume and get into civilian clothes. This is the most stressful time of the day as I am always afraid students will look in the window and I'll end up on the 5 o' clock news.

weirdo
    Sausage biscuits, angry photographer, blackberries, and a daily ferry ride... kinda hard to ask for any more in life
    Recalculating....

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    living in a big city totally s$5ks...

nice post vas!

mtbr member
    Great job vas, my photo essay is upcoming now that teh time as changed.

How did you get the shots of yourself? Cam timer or by-stander? I'd love to get a photo of myself riding downtown along my commute route.

mouthbreather
    Sep 2005
    For the photos of me, I got my wife (a.k.a. the angry photographer) to ride half of the route with me. So, it really wasn't on a day when I actually was riding to work. Usually, I'd have a helmet on and it would be a whole lot darker... But if you use a timer and random downtown strangers, that's a recipe for good times.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    On of the many views on the route home, getting darker in Alaska. )O:

Moderator Moderator
    A sampling of videos from my 11 mile commute this morning...sorry, no fancy music, just wind noise & studded tires singing. Shot with my "GoAmateur" point & shoot Olympus Tough attached to the handlebars with a velcro strap and rubber shim.

Part 1..down the driveway
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6mAabhVfExc?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6mAabhVfExc?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Part 2...icy dirt road
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ZueFH7fS8E?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ZueFH7fS8E?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Part 3...mile 1+..dirt to pavement
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U46hhM1DPRw?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U46hhM1DPRw?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Part 4...Trow Hill & downtown Barre
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I7WJnDGNjIM?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I7WJnDGNjIM?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Part 5 ...the Barre-Montpelier Road
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iFXHOKRc7no?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iFXHOKRc7no?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Part 6...the Wayside Diner
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8c5IJpnfh0c?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8c5IJpnfh0c?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Part 7...the rotary to River Rd
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LWXv8xJBjMA?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LWXv8xJBjMA?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Part 8...River Road toward Montpelier
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Db8VQYjt8YU?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Db8VQYjt8YU?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Part 9...along the Winooski River to the iron bridge & my bus stop in Montpelier... spot the golden dome of the statehouse in the background
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v4LXOq5t4l4?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v4LXOq5t4l4?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 11-30-2010 at 02:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice shooting. You're quite a bit faster than me. That Beemer was pretty close!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    Nice shooting. You're quite a bit faster than me. That Beemer was pretty close!
    Well maybe coasting - you can hit 45 mph on Trow Hill in good weather without trying. It's all downhill until the downtown area on part 4, then it's fairly flat. I'll spare you video of the ride back up the hill at 5mph if I'm lucky. On the way home I usually take a 2nd bus to the bus stop closest to my house - it's at the 1st light at the bottom of the hill on part 4.

weirdo
    Doh- shoulda checked from home! I can`t get any videos here at work, but I`m very much looking forward to seeing a little VT countryside as soon as I get back to the house!
    Recalculating....

weirdo
    Very nice, MtbX
    1. You really scoot!
    2. The dirt road makes my kidney wince just from watching the vids.
    3. Yikes- a lot more traffic than I imagined, and a lot of shoulderless roads. You ARE dedicated.
    4. I watched for the golden dome but couldn`t find it

Thanks for the footage!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    For those using Bikely.com - has anyone else had trouble accessing their site recently?

weirdo
    Yeah, I tried a few times in the past week or two- no luck. But I was recently "turned on to" Mapmyride, so not a big loss. If you have stored routes that you want to access on Bikely, hopefully you aren`t SOL.

mtbr member
    I'll check out that other site. I can always redraw my route. Lately, there has been an influx of commuters and they were looking to publish their routes as I did mine years ago. Bikely was cool while it lasted.

Members who have read this thread: 0