What do you think about this?- Mtbr.com
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Honestly... ahh I give up

weirdo
    If anybody ever buys one of those things, I betcha the first carfull of teenagers to discover it will have a ball setting off the alarm horns in the poor cyclist`s ear. I`ll pass, thanks.

mtbr member
    The car is within what? 3 feet when the horns sound? So the next sound I hear is my scream? At closing speeds of 10-50 mph, this item is useless. They are by and can't hear/see it, you are too late to respond, or have hit you.

My impression with most drivers who croud me are:

1. I should have taken the lane. (Happens rarely now.)
    2. They don't really know where the right side of their car is. (Missing right mirror and scrapes on right side are BIG indicators of this problem. So you don't have to feel bad kicking their fender at the light. )
    3. They measure from the center of your body mass/bike line NOT from the shoulders/bars. Bar end lights and bright jersey/tops can help as can nerdy flags. The ANSI vest helped.

The biggest improvement I have had came with tailights that show up in daylight. Esoecially the 100 lumen spots. They just don't seem to want to get that close for some reason.

Moderator Moderator
    Looks like it would scare the cyclist to death when the 12 horns go off. And how annoying would it be when you go to park next to a building, etc. This idea from Lightlane is a little better (no horns/sensors), but not enough oomph in the prototype:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you think about this?-lightlane-2.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

~Disc~Golf~
    I'm confused, too, at how does the laser project a full circle? where would that mount?
    It seems like there would always be something blocking portions of the beam - wheels, rider, etc...
    And would that set off the horns? or how do the sensors detect crap...I see alot of false positives and whatnot - anyways, I found it to be curious.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I like all the contraptions people are making to make cyclists more visible. It is like putting a band aid on a sliced artery.

Thanks for the link though. My cycling homer friends are going to be so excited for my email...

~Disc~Golf~
    I find it curious too that their info-graphic demonstrating 'SAFETY' features a dood wearing a ball cap.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Thats not safe....his bike doesn't have brakes. What an ID107
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    I'm confused, too, at how does the laser project a full circle? where would that mount?
    A little late to the party (as usual) but I think the article said it uses 4 lasers to project with, probably using POV to create the arc.

Is there nothing lasers can't do?
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid
    Thats not safe....his bike doesn't have brakes. What an ID107
    Oh, it`s a fixie! That explains the cap instead of a helmet! Good catch, Hardtail- it`s all comming together now!
    Recalculating....

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    A little late to the party (as usual) but I think the article said it uses 4 lasers to project with, probably using POV to create the arc.

Is there nothing lasers can't do?
    Make me a sammich....
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid
    Make me a sammich....
    They can keep it from getting swiped in the fridge at work

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VT3hqtYDH84&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VT3hqtYDH84&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    It seems like there would always be something blocking portions of the beam - wheels, rider, etc...
    And would that set off the horns? or how do the sensors detect crap...I see alot of false positives and whatnot - anyways, I found it to be curious.

Ahh would probably help out a bit....

Trouble is I lose a blinky oh maybe once every two months.

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    This system needs more powerful lasers to pop the tires of cars coming within the 3 foot circle.

About half the night cyclists I see here in lovely Portland, OR don't have any lights at all. I really don't get the mindset that spends $400 on colored deep-V rims, but can't justify a $20 set of blinky lights.

I got nothin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ong
    This system needs more powerful lasers to pop the tires of cars coming within the 3 foot circle.

About half the night cyclists I see here in lovely Portland, OR don't have any lights at all. I really don't get the mindset that spends $400 on colored deep-V rims, but can't justify a $20 set of blinky lights.
    Lights, like helmets, high visibility clothing, gloves, etc. are not cool. I guess since you didn't know that, your not cool.

I'm definitely not cool because I wear all of those things and use brakes.
    Last edited by hydrogeek; 07-17-2010 at 09:24 PM.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    hmmmm....(scratches head)...???
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Lasers aren’t really designed to endure a constant duty cycle, unless they have some sort of active cooling going on, such as a Peltier cooler (yeah, 40W of power drain right there), and even then the lifespan is pretty short. Otherwise, it might be a semi-decent idea.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Members who have read this thread: 0