What do I do when...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What do I do when...

I'm going through an intersection and someone on the road just stares at me, their head following and everything? I do I scream profanities? Throw something at their car? Would a water bottle damage break through their window and hurt them?

What do you do when people stare at you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid_Mountain
    I'm going through an intersection and someone on the road just stares at me, their head following and everything? I do I scream profanities? Throw something at their car? Would a water bottle damage break through their window and hurt them?

What do you do when people stare at you?
    I dunno...I prefer that they stare than not see me at all...

You should just ignore them...they are just jelous ...I bet half of them ride and are just reflexively looking and wishing they were riding...
    Last edited by Gaz-Man; 05-10-2010 at 03:10 PM.
    Mash, spin, flow.

No-Brakes Cougar
    People stare, it's what they do. Ignore them.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

weirdo
    I dunno, too. I`ve never before had anybody stare at me except in response to stupid things I`ve said. Since nothing a cyclist says is audible to bystanders or nearby drivers, no stares on the bike.

H.M., maybe you just have a really nice looking behind.

Moderator Moderator
    Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily take offense. I always stare at bikes when I'm driving...to see if it's someone I know (can be hard to tell with helmet & sunglasses), what the bike is, etc.

mtbr member
    Yeah, mostly ignore. Sometimes smile and wave. I'm holding off on CommuterBoy's 'Special Ed' approach for the most aggravatingly rude.

Tonight (about 6 and sun still high), I am cycling the main road 1.5 miles form home and entering the through road part of a T intersection with a Lincoln Navigator approaching the stop to my right. The driver looks right at me I make a point of looking right at her (the 500 lumens of narrow high beam on the helmet aimed and flashing at her face, another 500 lumens of wide angle on the bars which I have video proof of being VERY effective, and the sun lighting up my ANSi vest).

She slows harder as if she has seen me and realizes she can't Cadillac stop as usual, but before completing the operation, begins to accellerate, I shout HEY! as I am now about 3 feet off her left bumper in the middle of my lane about 6 feet laterally from my right leg to her front bumper. She smiles hugely as I look in the windshield riding by. I hope that wasn't a 'let's scare the BEEJEESUS out of the cyclist' grin. I was 18-20 mph there. She saw me long enough to know how fast I was going.

So yeah, staring isn't too bad IF they are actualy SEEING you. I think they are so used to rolling the stop it is second nature. Sad. Very sad.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 05-10-2010 at 04:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Smile?
    '07 Marin Rift Zone
    '07 Ridley Orion
    KHS fixed gear
    Jamis Allegro 1.0

Are we there yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    Yeah, mostly ignore. Sometimes smile and wave. I'm holding of on CommuterBoy's 'Special Ed' approach for the most aggravatingly rude.

Tonight (about 6 and sun still high), I am cycling the main road 1.5 miles form home and entering the through road part of a T intersection with a Lincoln Navigator approaching the stop to my right. The driver looks right at me I make a point of looking right at her (the 500 lumens of narrow high beam on the helmet aimed and flashing at her face, another 500 lumens of wide angle on the bars which I have video proof of being VERY effective, and the sun lighting up my ANSi vest).

She slows harder as if she has seen me and realizes she can't Cadillac stop as usual, but before completing the operation, begins to accellerate, I shout HEY! as I am now about 3 feet off her left bumper in the middle of my lane about 6 feet laterally from my right leg to her front bumper. She smiles hugely as I look in the windshield riding by. I hope that wasn't a 'let's scare the BEEJEESUS out of the cyclist' grin. I was 18-20 mph there. She saw me long enough to know how fast I was going.

So yeah, staring isn't too bad IF they are actualy SEEING you. I think they are so used to rolling the stop it is second nature. Sad. Very sad.
    I like to call this preparing to go, when they should be preparing to stop.

To answer the OP's question, I like to wave like I know them. It catches 'em off guard every time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    pretend you're swimming and paddle your arms while riding no-handed.
    periodically look back as if afraid they'll hunt you.
    swim faster if they turn up the street after you.
    if caught at a stoplight with them start singing "born free" a the top of your lungs, looking over nervously and cracking your voice periodically to really sell the illusion of abject fear.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Carry around business cards from your favorite LBS and hand them to the driver "I saw you checking out my form, and thought you might be interested in joining me."

Smile and wave., It's what I do. Why get angry? Then you're just "That ******* on a bike."

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    1-Pick your nose.
    2-Scratch your groin area.
    3-Dig at your heiny (under the spandex).
    4-Mime eating any of the products of the first three.

... all while making direct eye contact.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    LOL I do this sometime, and yes I am jealous! Wish I can ride my bike to work but I don't think I can do 17 miles each way x 5 days a week.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    im usually staring at their bike

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by linx
    Wish I can ride my bike to work but I don't think I can do 17 miles each way x 5 days a week.
    If you want to ride, you don`t have to do it every day. You might find that 17 miles on the road is a lot less than 17 miles on the trail and very doable for one or two RTs per week. Then again, there ARE people who bike that on a daily basis, but I don`t happen to be one of them.

Are we there yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by linx
    LOL I do this sometime, and yes I am jealous! Wish I can ride my bike to work but I don't think I can do 17 miles each way x 5 days a week.
    There's no rule that says you have to do it every day. I'd say longer work commutes are funner (yes, funner) when you DON"T do 'em every day.

mtbr member
    I ride with my shorts sagged. People are really looking to see some crack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    People stare out of curiousity and interest,we all do it,dont let it bother you,or you will end up becoming paranoid whenever someone looks at you. Imagine what would happen if drivers did not look at you at all,then i would start worrying.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Just do the old John Cena "You can't see me" hand gesture at them. Bet they stare harder!

The Brutally Handsome
    Get a reality check and get over yourself, people stare at whatever enters their field of vision, especially if it's moving, I highly doubt that you are experiencing anything more than passive curiosity, and the idea that you would need to retaliate against someone looking at you is absurd.

Members who have read this thread: 0