What did you see on your commute (pic thread)- Mtbr.com
    since 4/10/2009

What did you see on your commute (pic thread)

This isn't about the bike, it's about the ride. See something interesting along the way? Let's see.

Here's mine, from Friday. This is less than half a mile from my house. I knew it's been coming for at least a year, but haven't seen any progress except for the past week or two. Then, really quickly, the solar panels have popped up.

So, the site used to be a shopping mall. I came here with my mother when I was little. It went downhill until it was eventually closed. Nowadays, it has been repurposed. It currently houses a data center and housed a local Homeland Security facility. It has been used to coordinate security efforts for major local events (like the 2012 Super Bowl). From what I understand, the biggest reason the place was not torn down was because in the era it was built, there were various incentives for building it essentially to bomb shelter standards. Which make it an ideal site for high security uses.

It has a LOT of pretty unused parking lot around it. I suppose they still want a wide perimeter around the facility for security purposes, so they weren't interested in ripping up all of the pavement.

A couple years ago, I read about the plan to build a solar farm over all of that unused parking lot and roof space. Here is the progress so far.

What did you see on your commute (pic thread)-solarfarm.jpg

Former Eastgate Mall to become solar farm - TheIndyChannel.com

It's not the only solar farm in town, either, but this one isn't anywhere close to the size of the other one in town.

World's largest solar farm complete at Indianapolis airport

mtbr member

Farmer's Market Day

Another shot of The Duchess and the Tower Tree (and I do not think that is the Dark Mark in the sky. Looks more like a Greek Comedy Mask to me):

A mural across the street from the vendors:

mtbr member
    Posted this bridge before but that was before The Duchess was rebuilt.

These were a great improvement over wood bridges of the time and cheaper at the time (circa 1900) than the many stone bridges in the county. Just too narrow for modern farm equipment. Too bad they did not connect both ends but cycling is not on the radar here at all. They saved another one of these and it is in the County Park a mile from my home.

since 4/10/2009
    Didn't get a pic of this one (it probably would have been rather inconsiderate to take one) but I saw a couple police officers on the Monon south of the fairgrounds (it's a little bit of a rough neighborhood, but since more people are starting to ride downtown, it's getting to be more desirable to live along this stretch and home values are starting to go up). With the IndyCrit races downtown today, lots of riders were heading back and forth from downtown today.

The police were there patching up the forehead of a rider that had obviously crashed. Several riders were milling about (first responders who called 911, I assume), and one person rolled up in an SUV, apparently with the injured rider. The police were administering first aid, and she had a pretty bloody forehead, and there was bloody gauze on the ground nearby. I didn't see a crushed helmet anywhere, so I can only assume she was not wearing one. It's a shame, really. I know a good number of people who tell me that their worst crashes of all have been on multi-use paths of some kind or another, when they were not riding hard, or terribly seriously.