• 09-03-2014
    newfangled
    What did you do to your commuter this summer?
    So September has me thinking about all the major changes that I made to my bikes this season, most of which were pretty successful.

29er:

After 3 summers of running 33x18 (53 gearinches) this year I bumped it up to 32x16 (58 gearinches). It was a small change, but it's a million times better for commuting, and it hasn't made the trails much worse. There are maybe a handful of places that I struggle with now but didn't used to.

Swapped the midge bar for a woodchipper to decrease reach, and am really happy. I still might have to get a Fargo frame at some point, but so far I'm really liking dirtdrops.

Fixie:

Broken bullmoose bar to flatbar to northroad to carnegie, and finally to mary which was a really good fit. But then one final swap to my spare midge, which is more fun and looks cooler.
    Relaced my wheels with new rims.
    Swapped the whole frame to an older bridgestone. It turns out it's a slightly better fit, and is noticeably more compliant.

Boring Hardtail:

Swapped the marybar to my carnegie, and I think I prefer this bike with the carnegie. I think I also like the carnegie more on this bike than I did when it was on my 29er.

And now it's time to start thinking about getting the bikes ready for winter...
  • 09-03-2014
    Straz85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    29er:

After 3 summers of running 33x18 (53 gearinches) this year I bumped it up to 32x18 (58 gearinches). It was a small change, but it's a million times better for commuting, and it hasn't made the trails much worse. There are maybe a handful of places that I struggle with now but didn't used to.

I'm slightly confused. Maybe I'm reading this wrong. The way you talked about it, it makes it sound like you went to more difficult gearing, but you said you went from 33/18 to 32/18, which would be easier.

CrossCheck
    -Services hubs
    -Serviced BB
    -New tires (Schwalbe Marathom Supreme 35mm)
    -New chain
    -Setup 1x10 with a 39T chainring and 11-34 cassette. Will soon be getting a 44 or 46T chainring and putting on an 11-36 cassette
    -Have a new freehub body in my basement ready to be installed

Mountain bike
    -Nothing at all
    -Need the brakes serviced badly

Kona Jake the Snake
    -Nothing at all except lubing the chain

Nashbar SS CX
    -Bought it 2 weeks ago
    -Replaced the wheels with a spare set of Bontrager SSR wheels and an 18T cog
    -32mm Gatorskins
    -Zero offset seatpost
    -SPD pedals
    -Waiting for Midge bars to arrive
    -
  • 09-03-2014
    newfangled
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    I'm slightly confused. Maybe I'm reading this wrong. The way you talked about it, it makes it sound like you went to more difficult gearing, but you said you went from 33/18 to 32/18, which would be easier.

Oops, 32x16 this year. I fixed it up top.
  • 09-09-2014
    bikeCOLORADO
    I stripped off the panniers, rack and lights last weekend and rode the Ozarks MS150. I'll do it again in four weeks for the Tour de Bass Century.
  • 09-20-2014
    mort1369
    The Raleigh got an FSA Vero 165mm crankset, with Biopace/Sugino Cycloid chainrings, plus dark blue pedals, goes better with the black/purple/blue fade of the paint scheme.
  • 09-21-2014
    newfangled
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Boring Hardtail:

Swapped the marybar to my carnegie, and I think I prefer this bike with the carnegie. I think I also like the carnegie more on this bike than I did when it was on my 29er.

Quoting myself, but it turns out that there's still plenty of summer left, so last week I converted my boring hardtail over to ss.