What can I do to my bike?

Printable View

• 04-15-2008
    fuzzy34
    What can I do to my bike?
    So here is the bike I ride to class everyday. I'd like to make it more suitable for commuting once I graduate. I'm already looking into getting full fenders. I'd also like to replace the handlebars (flat? drop?), brakes (v, preferably disc), and shifters (no gripshift). What do you recommend I do to make my bike better to ride?

• 04-15-2008
    jasevr4
    Personally if that was my bike and I didn't want to change bikes I'd be going singlespeed, giving the wheels a good true and greasing the hubs, maybe a new (cheap) crankset and an overhaul of the brakes.

Then of course if required some fenders and a rack.

The tyres look good for a commute with a bit of dirt on the way. If it's all paved/bitumen it might be worth looking into something a bit more slick..?
  • 04-15-2008
    rodar y rodar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzy34
    What do you recommend I do to make my bike better to ride?

Ditch the first couple layers of rust?

Seriously, it all depends on what kind of commute you have and what else you plan on doing with it, tempered by your personal preferences. What`s suitable for a 5 mile commute in Miami probably won`t cut it in a Calgary winter. 3 miles in Smithville VS 15 miles in Smithville would likely call for a different setup. Some folks prefer messenger bags, some prefer racks, some absolutely need a trailer because they haul so much stuff. It all depends on the situation.
  • 04-15-2008
    snowdenn
    a rack if you need it.

keep the brakes unless you dont like em. otherwise, i think v-brakes are all you can do--i dont think you can upgrade to disc cause it looks like your fork and frame wont take the calipers.

i am thinking about replacing the handlebar with an on-one fleegle or mary or some such substitute.

and the singlespeed idea sounds interesting.
  • 04-15-2008
    fuzzy34
    Yeah, I've been thinking about making it a single speed, how hard is that to do from a geared bike like this?
  • 04-15-2008
    Zero Signal
    This is what I would do, and only MY take on it . . .

1. Convert it to SS with a conversion kit like this one
    2. Pick up a trekking bar or mustache bar like this
    3. Throw on some 1.25 or 1.5 road slicks like these http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Tourguard.aspx
    4. True the wheels and service the bearing and cones
    5. Buy a new chain
    6. Ride it into the ground
  • 04-15-2008
    fuzzy34
    I'm starting to really like the idea of single speed (won't have to mess with my gears anymore!!). Would the the new trekking or mustache bar be compatible with my current stem, or would i need a new stem also? How would a bar like that agree with some new v-brake levers (I hate cantilevers brakes), would would I need to go with road bike style levers? (sorry if these are dumb questions)
  • 04-16-2008
    forkboy
    Quote:

What do you recommend I do to make my bike better to ride?

I would perform some maintenance on it.

Really.

Lube the chain, repack the headset and hubs, true the wheels and put on new cables & housing.

Other than that - I wouldn't do a thing other than Fenders if you live somewhere wet.

It's a commuter bike - any money you put into upgrading parts would be better spent going towards a new ride, or beer.

Nothing wrong with it - it just needs some love.
  • 04-16-2008
    Zero Signal
    Yeah I take back the bar thing, that sleeve clamp style won't allow really curvey bars. You CAN do a quill stem adapter like this and change the stem. Come to think of it, you will want to change the stem if you change the bars anyway. Doesn't add too much to the cost. You're still under $150 to make it a serviceable/comfortable bike.

Personally, if it gets up over $150, don't bother with it. At that point, save up a couple hundred more for a whole new bike, like one of these or get a better used bike on craigslist.
  • 04-16-2008
    fuzzy34
    Well going to class today, my right shifter died. The small crack that was in it decided to go all the way through. I guess I could do without different handle bars, but I'd still like to change the brakes and the drivetrain. Is that single speed conversion kit you mention Zero a good way to go about it?
  • 04-16-2008
    rodar y rodar
    It sounds to me like your bike just converted to SS by itself. Check here, where it says "high gear limit stop" for the free method of obtaining your gear ratio of choice:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
  • 04-16-2008
    fuzzy34
    I didn't even think of maunally adjusting the derailer stops. Maybe i just need to replace the brakes and call it good. Can the derailers be run with no cables, and only adjusted with the high-low stops?
  • 04-16-2008
    x-ker
    I'd replace the brake cables,
    convert it to a SS,
    give everything a good regrease / relube,
    and get rid of the kickstand.
  • 04-16-2008
    rodar y rodar
    Quote:

I didn't even think of maunally adjusting the derailer stops. Maybe i just need to replace the brakes and call it good. Can the derailers be run with no cables, and only adjusted with the high-low stops?

Yes, but limited by the length of the adjuster screw (it`ll work fine with the smaller sprockets but the screw might not be long enough to hold the der on one of the big sprockets.) You can play around and figure out what gear suits you best.
  • 04-16-2008
    comptiger5000
    No need to ditch the kickstand, they're handy for any bike that has to sit on the floor for storage (no way to hang it). Beats having to lean it against a wall.
  • 04-16-2008
    snowdenn
    +1 about keeping the kickstand since its a commuter, not a xc racer...
  • 04-17-2008
    x-ker
    Weird...I'm just throwing out the kickstand suggestion because at home I've got a place to put the bike (no kickstand needed) and when I get to work I'm locking my bike to something (which typically means its already getting leaned up against something else or put into a rack). That's why the suggestion - I don't really see a need for a kickstand and there's no need to carry around the extra weight, even on a commuter.

To each their own though, and if you use the kickstand by all means keep it on.
  • 04-17-2008
    fuzzy34
    Yeah, I have the kickstand on there for when its in the garage. That's the only reason though.
  • 04-17-2008
    jabpn
    The bike you have is an excellent bike to turn into a commuter. It's got the fender and rack (if you decide you need a rack) mounts. As others have said I would just go with a good overhaul and add some fenders. I personally wouldn't change out the bar. Maybe add some bar ends for a some additional hand positions.
  • 04-20-2008
    fuzzy34
    I'll get pictures up later, but I have so far removed all the shifting components, and replaced the grips. I need to replace the rear cogs, so I think I will just go single speed (I've been riding it like that anyway for a while) using this as recommeneded http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
  • 05-02-2008
    fuzzy34
    Hey guys, just an update on my bike. I have the new grips on with a computer on the bars now. I installed the single speed conversion kit and it works awesome! Next things to be replaced are the chainrings, pedals, and brakes (No particular order). Any recommendations on any of those parts?

• 05-03-2008
    Doggity
    Good work! You've already removed the most objectionable parts, fer sure. I'd leave the brakes alone unless they need new pads. Pedals...Nashbar's cheapo all purpose steel/alum plats, sometimes on sale for $12.99 are great for a commuter bike. Grippy as hell. Surly stainless chainring if you want, but from the looks of that crankset, I'd be afraid to mess with it. Put a rack and lights on it, you're good to go.You're smart to use a beater like that. I use my SS fer everything, and while it ain't nothing fancy, it definitely looks way more thievable, so I have to consider carefully where and for how long I leave it locked.
  • 05-11-2008
    fuzzy34
    Just another update. Got some basic v-brakes and some new levers to go with them.