what is the best lock method?- Mtbr.com
    tao
    succinct

what is the best lock method?

what do you carry and what do you lock to?
    plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Locked bike theft is pretty much non-existent where I live. If your bike is unlocked some drunk kid will throw it in the river. For the most secure locking system, use two different types of locks. This is a theft deterant because the thief needs to have the tools to defeat two types of locks. I would suggest using a decent U-Lock (one that does not use a circular key, they can be defeated with a Bic pen cap) and a good chain or cable lock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Locked bike theft is pretty much non-existent where I live. If your bike is unlocked some drunk kid will throw it in the river. For the most secure locking system, use two different types of locks. This is a theft deterant because the thief needs to have the tools to defeat two types of locks. I would suggest using a decent U-Lock (one that does not use a circular key, they can be defeated with a Bic pen cap) and a good chain or cable lock.
    Good points. Also take off front wheel and lock up with backwheel and frame if you have QR. Don't always park your bike in the same places on the same days, mix it up a bit so it can make it a bit harder for someone to easily spot every week/day/whatever. Lock up in highly visible place to other people.

mtbr member
    Hell, I use a good ULock and cable lock and lock it all up with that front to rear to whatever i'm locking to. I've also seen thse locks for the seat that look kinda neat.

is buachail foighneach me
    it really depends on where you live. when i worked as a messenger in philly i used a u-lock, in nyc i used a new york chain with an american long shackle lock. if you have to worry about theft, get locking skewers for wheels and seatpost. if using a chain, wrap it to whatever you're locking it to as tightly as possible. i've seen loosely locked bikes slid up over parking meter heads and street signs. if using a u-lock, try to lock it up in a way that the flat end of it is fairly innacessible, and the inside of it as well. removing the front wheel and locking that to to it can help take up space. i've never done that though. making your bike ugly in a high theft area helps as well. bare bones fixed gear, front brake, mismatched grips/tape, lots of stickers.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    My area isn't horrible for bike theft. Generally if the bike is locked and hasn't been sitting there for days you don't have to worry much.

I use a U-lock through the frame and back wheel and then a cable lock through the frame, back wheel, and up through the font wheel as well (since it's a quick release). I always try to lock to a dedicated bike rack. When one is not available I try to find something that is more than a pole (that a lock could be slid over the top of), something like a planter or really tall pole, etc.

Use the cable lock for 2 main reasons: 1) I'm lazy and don't like taking my front wheel off, plus sometimes the pole is too thick to get pole, frame, back tire, front tire all in my U-lock. 2) Two types of locks mean two necessary tools for potential thieves even if my cable lock is not the best in the world.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    i haul my kryptonite fuggetaboutit lock around my shoulder/neck wherever i go. it weighs 9lbs tho, its a good work out.
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    U lock near the BB. Make sure that you "fill" the void space in the lock so thieves can't get a bottle jack, pipe, whatever in there and bust the lock.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    In my area, Flint MI, the crooks are like a NASCAR pit crew when it comes to cutting locks. So I opt for the lock that has a replacement bike policy like the NY Kryptonite line.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I use one w/ a numeric system, keys can get lost

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I live in Amsterdam, notorious for it's bikethefts. The best way to lock a bike around here is to lock frame and frontwheel to something solid (a bikerack, bridge. pole, wahtever) and then use a second lock for the rearwheel. The more locks, the better. Any lock can be picked or cut but if you use enough locks they'll go for another bike.

Another great way to battle biketheft is to make sure that you never buy a stolen bike!

Apr 2008
    Krypto/NY 3' secured to fixed rack through frame and front wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    on gaurd makes locks to replace your quick releases. if you dont get those, i suggest using a cable and run it through the frame, wheels, and on a bike rack/ tree/ pole/ something solid. finish it up by locking the little rails under the seat.

Members who have read this thread: 0