what alt bars work with road levers?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

what alt bars work with road levers?

I am building a commuter and I want to put something like moustache bars and road levers on it. there are a lot of bars out there that look like moustache bars but i can't tell the difference between a bar made for road levers and a bar that just has a lot of backsweep. I need something with a 25.4mm clamp or I need to change out my fork/stem. what about these:

Bontrager Satellite Trekking-

Soma Moustache bars

something like that? I get the impression that bars with a very wide, round bend will work and others will not.

Frt Range, CO
    Need to use bars with 23.8mm road brake lever clamp diameter, the Soma bar is, I think the Bonntrager has 22.2mm mountain brake lever clamp diameter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The moustache designs generally take road levers. Pretty much anything else that sweeps back uses MTB levers. The splayed-out drop bars (see On One Midge) also take road levers.

I have had success in clamping a road lever onto a bar make for mtb -- but not the other way around.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Why would a larger clamp size require you to get a new fork?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    fork- i have a bike with a 1 1/8" threaded headset, and I don't feel like trying to get a 1 1/8" quill stem that has a 31.8mm clamp. I am sure it can be done, but using a 25.4 bar makes more sense at present.

since 4/10/2009
    On-One Mungo Handlebar 29.99

I'm putting one of these on my commuter. Odd that the category page says 25.4mm is available, but the product page doesn't show that size as an option. *shrug* Looks like the same sort of bar as the Soma above, anyway.

I bought the 26.0mm size (I wanted red and red only comes in that clamp size) and I'll just shim it to 31.8mm.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    fork- i have a bike with a 1 1/8" threaded headset, and I don't feel like trying to get a 1 1/8" quill stem that has a 31.8mm clamp. I am sure it can be done, but using a 25.4 bar makes more sense at present.
    I got an adapter, finally, for my nice '99 road bike with a 1" threaded headset. It looks a little clunky but I haven't messed with it since I got the cockpit setup dialed in. I kicked myself for waiting so long to do it.

They let you use any contemporary stem and handlebar you want with whatever fork you already have, and they're pretty cheap. Mine was made by Profile.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Did I catch a niner+?
    Nashbar makes a mountain mustache bar that I hear good things about. To be honest I could never get really comfortable on a mustache bar, I currently rock a Mary bar that of course will not fit road levers.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?