Weird items you have ridden with on your bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Weird items you have ridden with on your bike?

Just wondering what odd things you guys have carried on your back that would get weird looks from people. I got some odd looks and people saying what the hell as I rode the 3 miles to the golf course with my full golf bag on my back.

Just thought it was funny

mtbr member
    Used to strap on the old willow fishing pole to lower seat tueb and seat stay and roll out for a Sunday afternoon's fishing. You had to take care with the line and hooks. The wind could have one snag an ear!

Also care was needed with a string of fish so we used a burlap sack to keep them fresh in the creek until ready ot go home and out of the wheels tied high and clear on the handlebar.

Andy Muzi of Yellow Jersey bike shop in Madison told me of a mess after running a string of fish through the spokes. One smelly mess if not cleaned up right away. Didn't ask if cats pursued him afterwards.

weirdo
    No thing all that cumersome, but I think my little brother would have to take the prize for the "wierdest" cargo I`ve had on my bike. He`s about as wierd as they get.
    Recalculating....

Ovaries on the Outside
    Another bicycle? A grill?

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Another bicycle? A grill?
    What did she look like? Anything like the girll in that Vanmootz video? That would be wierd, allright.
    Recalculating....

I got nothin'
    I have carried tire chains, a salad spinner, and last month a giant duffel bag with clothes and field gear for work. I often wear a large back pack, a hydration pack, and hiking boots on my back when I have to do field work.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

The Brutally Handsome
    My coworkers bike was Tuesday's cargo!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weird items you have ridden with on your bike?-bd-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I had two of these bags to recycle. Recycling center is just a few minutes away.

mtbr member
    Rode with a jogger on my handlebars. Unfortunately it only lasted a few feet.

The mad Russian
    I was like 15 years old and I put a girl on a bike (I met her the other day). She sat on my handlebars face to face. I was riding around the square and she was laughing and screaming on the turns. Then we suddenly kissed. This kiss lasted quite a long time before we hit an old man. He fell, then my new girlfriend fell on the old guy, then I fell, and finally the bike flipped and hit me with the rear wheel Nobody was hurt

And yeah, this was my first real KISS

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

The mad Russian
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker

OMG OMG that's huuge

mtbr member
    Not on my back, but on the rack:
    An office chair.
    A small refrigerator.
    Three cases of champagne.
    When it's 20 below freezing and the snow lays 10 inches deep, bicycle commuting kind of sucks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    once had a cannondal lefty I was returning to a friend who I was going on a group ride with. We took the train to the group ride location (roughly and hour away) and rode by bike over to the military installation where we were going to meet up with my friend to whom I was returning the lefty. The lefty was poking about a foot out of my backpack. I didn't even think what it would look like to the gate guards when I cam riding up to the gate with a backpack on and some unidentifiable mechanical device poking out of it.... Yup My bag got thoroughly searched!

local trails rider

81 mm mortar, total weight 56 kg, breaks down to three parts of roughly similar weights but very different shapes.

It has been a while...I don't even remember which one of the three major parts I carried the time we went by bikes.

mtbr member
    Errand bike. Well, this got some weird looks and a compliment on ingenuity for panniers:

Columbus Day/Canadian Thanksgiving dinner. As aero as a barn door, but suprisingly fun to ride. Slow, though.

Adaptable. Another load another day, definitely got some looks:

Front carrier lightened since this photo. Now fendered with 700C 35mm Michelin City tires (instead of 27 inch wheels and 28 mm shown here) and converted to 1 x 9 with detoothed old 52 chainring as a guard. The cargo mods are 70% paid for in saved mileage on vehicles. Saving a decent light weight lugged frame from salvage and putting spare parts back in service - priceless.

weirdo
    Looks to me like Schmucker has the heaviest so far (and that isn`t blood dripping out of one of those garbage bags, is it?), but I don`t think anybody is going to top a mortar for wierd.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Uncle! I have no entry that can compare. Nice job everyone!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Looks to me like Schmucker has the heaviest so far (and that isn`t blood dripping out of one of those garbage bags, is it?), but I don`t think anybody is going to top a mortar for wierd.

Agreed.

Smucker has a step through, long wheelbase frame. I'm not as flexible as I was once. You try a high kick over that rear basket when the bike is loaded including a 16 pound frozen turkey (and I don't mean the rider)! It really made me appreciate a Mixte frame for this application!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gazzzaloddi

OMG OMG that's huuge
    The pic doesn't show it well but the front wheel is off the ground. It took another person to help get the bike stabilized enough to get it riding. Only had about a third of a mile to go. It wasn't that bad either.

I also hauled an old french door. That was a bit of a weird load.

Nothing is dripping from the bag.

mtbr member
    A guy used to ride through our neighborhood in Albuquerque. His bike was a recumbant, with milk crates mounted in front and in back. The dang bike looked about 10 feet long. The best part was that he had parrot perches mounted on it, and his pet parrots would hang out with him as he rode. If I recall correctly, I saw 2 or three parrots. There was a perch off of his seat back and another up by his handle bars.

Which way? Uphill.
    I've had a lot of looks from drivers when I've picked up flowers for my wife on the way home. Big bunch of sunflowers sticking out of the top of my pack had several drivers slowing to take a picture of me as they went by.

The biggest thing I've ever moved via bike is my 17' sea kayak, but it's being towed by the bike and not actually on the bike.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Knowing what I know about Schmucker, I'm not at all surprised to see him carrying nearly half cord of wood on an xtracycle.

Never tried carrying an entire bag of clubs like AZnewbie, but I did carry a putter home from the thrift store in my backpack, head down in the bottom of the bag with the shaft sticking out. I was more worried about the shaft getting hooked by passing cars than anything (bike lane was very close to a narrow traffic lane with a double yellow). Tried strapping a driver to my top tube since my local driving range is conveniently located on the San Francisco Bay Trail, but I figured that it would be safer if I actually had a rack to support it since it's so long. The backpack trick might work though.

By far the weirdest thing I've ever carried were two frozen pizzas in a plastic bag tied to the outside of my backpack and swinging in all directions at once. Rodar got a kick out of that one.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

I got nothin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Never tried carrying an entire bag of clubs like AZnewbie, but I did carry a putter home from the thrift store in my backpack, head down in the bottom of the bag with the shaft sticking out.
    I bet motorists were afraid that you might go all Jack Nicolson on them.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek
    I bet motorists were afraid that you might go all Jack Nicolson on them.
    Sometimes I feel like it!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0