Weinmann Semi-Automatics on 80's Cannondale Road Bike- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Weinmann Semi-Automatics on 80's Cannondale Road Bike

OK, so for Way to Go week I offered to do a little work on bikes if people had one gathering dust in the basement and wanted to try to ride to work. I got a few takers. Today I worked on an 80's Cannondale road bike with weird brakes for a guy only born in 1981. His Dad got it used for $100 + a cord of firewood. It was later stolen & reported to the police but never seen again. Until they saw a neighbor ride by on it - he bought it at the police auction! -The brakes say Weinmann semi-automatic& are almost all covered in a rubber guard, and they have a fancy dial and camtype lever instead of a barrel adjuster. Anybody familiar with these?? They were hitting the rim a little low, like partway on the slanty surface, but there seemed minimal adjustment available up and down. Also, I'm not sure if it takes "regular" replacement pads or if they are a weird animal. Pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 05-17-2011 at 02:12 PM.

weirdo
    "It was later stolen & reported to the police but never seen again. Until they saw a neighbor ride by on it - he bought it at the police auction!" Fat lot of good it did reporting the theft!

No idea about the brakes, but they`re kind of cool. Like some weird take on Campy Aeros, maybe?

EDIT: The cops must have stolen it

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    "It was later stolen & reported to the police but never seen again. Until they saw a neighbor ride by on it - he bought it at the police auction!" Fat lot of good it did reporting the theft!

No idea about the brakes, but they`re kind of cool. Like some weird take on Campy Aeros, maybe?

EDIT: The cops must have stolen it

Yes, a good lot of police work there in small town USA. He said they may not have had the serial #, but how many Cannondales could have been reported missing??

I told this story on the bus and heard another one...someone had his bike stolen off the porch...a few weeks later he saw a kid ride right by his house on it, and then stop and talk to someone. He went out & said hey, that looks a lot like the bike that went missing. The only thing that had been changed was the handlebars - no attempt to spray paint it, etc. He got it back - but he said that the handlebars were actually a nice upgrade.

Members who have read this thread: 0