week 1- SS commute

Printable View

• 04-08-2008
    golfduke
    week 1- SS commute
    Well, this morning's ride into work marks the first full week of round trip commuting of the year for me. Still a bit nipply here in New Hampshire, but the afternoon rides are perfectly pleasant and make up for the 25 degree mornings. I commute on a 32-18 Bianchi Rita SS right now and all is well. Total commute is 34mi round trip with about 750' climbing. I'm happy to get the first week out of the way and get my lungs back. The gas savings are pretty nice too!

Anyway, just wanted to share!

Thanks,
    Paul
  • 04-08-2008
    Zero Signal
    Your commute is about the same as mine in both distance and climbing. It's the perfect ride for me, I love it. I give it a couple weeks tops before you wish you had a harder gear. Or are you riding offroad?
  • 04-08-2008
    golfduke
    dirt roads/bike path/ pure road. I can totally see myself going 32-16 in a week or so, but I do use the bike off rd as well, so I may have to settle.
  • 04-09-2008
    Brandontw
    thats a healthy commute, When college ends for the summer, i'm going to start commuting to work too.

My commute is 12 miles round trip, probly 1000' elevation change. Looking forward to it!

I cant do it now because i have to go directly from work to school, and i cant make it that 9 miles in 15 mins :(
  • 04-09-2008
    perttime
    I've been using a 32x16 SS bike for my 30 minute commute for a while now. It is pretty boring along the paved paths but I am hoping that the ground will dry soon now that the snow is mostly gone: there's some alternatives that include dirt paths and even some singletrack.
  • 04-10-2008
    Ryder1
    Me too!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by golfduke
    the first full week of round trip commuting of the year for me.

Today I am finishing my first week of commuting (ever), and am using my new cross singlespeed, an On-One il pompino, 32mm tires, 48/20 gearing - great for cruising the flat grid that is metropolitan Phoenix. Off-road I ride a 29er hardtail: Haro Mary SS, 32/20.

My 7-mile one-way trip take 30 minutes, about 10 minutes longer than by coffin (car). And am having fun doing it.

Phoenix streets are super flat and its mtb trails can be pretty steep and rocky, so I decided to invest a designated commuter. No regrets.
  • 04-10-2008
    mt bk
    Commuting Rocks
    Snow??? I've been commuting in Phoenix all winter, 1x/week, but 2 or three now that gas is so expensive. My commute is 32 miles round trip, usually with a tail wind in both directions. Using a Novara Big Buzz with 700 wheels. I'm thinking about fatter than 23 mm tires though, any suggestions?
  • 04-10-2008
    messofzero
    IRO Rob Roy 39:15 fixed, commute round trip is a whopping 3 miles.

oh and ive been doing it brakeless, solely because i hacked off alllll the bosses and guides, and i havent bought a long reach brake yet. 3 miles brakeless? TOTAL hipster commute :cool:
  • 04-10-2008
    norm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by messofzero
    IRO Rob Roy 39:15 fixed, commute round trip is a whopping 3 miles.

oh and ive been doing it brakeless, solely because i hacked off alllll the bosses and guides, and i havent bought a long reach brake yet. 3 miles brakeless? TOTAL hipster commute :cool:

What is a long reach brake??? Brakeless :eekster:
  • 04-10-2008
    Ryder1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mt bk
    Using a Novara Big Buzz with 700 wheels. I'm thinking about fatter than 23 mm tires though, any suggestions?

Conti Gatorskins in 28mm are about 320g and should be pretty flat resistant. A fatter tire would definitely smooth out the ride some. My bike is steel frame/fork and I'd personally still look at moving up to a 35mm before going down to a 28mm (though I think the Contacts I have run narrow).
  • 04-10-2008
    jasevr4
    I did my first commute on my Pompino this week. 23km's one way. It was ridiculous. Trying to stick to the roads isn't for me. I could have done it in about 15km's if I was able to take off road shortcuts.

I got a flat on the way home.

I'm taking a MTB from now on...
  • 04-11-2008
    Ryder1
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jasevr4
    I did my first commute on my Pompino this week. 23km's one way. It was ridiculous. Trying to stick to the roads isn't for me. I could have done it in about 15km's if I was able to take off road shortcuts.

I got a flat on the way home.

I'm taking a MTB from now on...

I wish I had an excuse to build up an off/on road "adventure" bike that could do it all, but in Phoenix most everything is either asphault or intermediate (or beyond) mountain bike trails - little in between. Otherwise, my Pompino would look more like this little monster...
  • 04-11-2008
    Zero Signal
    Quote:

Originally Posted by norm

Yeah he's running fixed gear so he can at least slow down or skid to a stop. When my Iro is finished, I can't wait to do my commute on the fixed gear. I will probably hate it and flip it to the freewheel, but I'm dying to try it.
  • 04-11-2008
    stephen11364
    Nice bike!
  • 04-12-2008
    messofzero
    Quote:

Originally Posted by norm

because of the extra tire clearance, a normal road brake doesnt reach far enough to the rim, a long reach caliper takes care of that (hopefully) cant use a canti because the canti mounts have been hacked off. had intentions of making this bike a coaster brake specific, but plans change (especially with bike builds.)

what i have discovered about brakeless: it is fun and exhilariting relying solely on your legs to control the bike, and when you adapt to it and get used to it, it is completely doable. that being said, theres no logical reason not put a front brake with a small 'cross style lever right next to the stem. its there when you need it (steep declines with a stop sign at the end, chain breaks, backing cogs off, etc.) but you arent so inclined to grab it every time you want to gradually slow down.

also, i would never ride brakeless unless i was sponsored by kenda :D because them hipsters skid their way through tires allll day long.
  • 04-12-2008
    norm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by messofzero
    because of the extra tire clearance, a normal road brake doesnt reach far enough to the rim, a long reach caliper takes care of that (hopefully) cant use a canti because the canti mounts have been hacked off. had intentions of making this bike a coaster brake specific, but plans change (especially with bike builds.)

what i have discovered about brakeless: it is fun and exhilariting relying solely on your legs to control the bike, and when you adapt to it and get used to it, it is completely doable. that being said, theres no logical reason not put a front brake with a small 'cross style lever right next to the stem. its there when you need it (steep declines with a stop sign at the end, chain breaks, backing cogs off, etc.) but you arent so inclined to grab it every time you want to gradually slow down.

also, i would never ride brakeless unless i was sponsored by kenda :D because them hipsters skid their way through tires allll day long.

Right on...Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:
  • 04-13-2008
    rearviewmirror
    I'm commuting on my Bianchi SASS at 32:16 and love it. For years I was commuting on a Bianchi Pista, but I hated being on the road for so long. Now I can do some trail / bike path / road time when actually riding a bike w/ 2.4's on it. :D I'm having a TRUE FAB built (http://www.truefabricationbicycles.com/), once it's done I can convert my Bianchi to full commuter w/ some different tires.
  • 04-13-2008
    jasevr4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryder1
    I wish I had an excuse to build up an off/on road "adventure" bike that could do it all, but in Phoenix most everything is either asphault or intermediate (or beyond) mountain bike trails - little in between. Otherwise, my Pompino would look more like this little monster...

Yep that bike looks awesome. I just don't have the cash to justify an XC bike and an "almost XC bike". Maybe if I can find a roadie in the hard rubbish disposal that I can fit some larger wheels to...
  • 04-18-2008
    Rufudufus
    I've been commuting for years, but this is my first week on an old Rockhopper that I just converted to singlespeed, 36x14. Only 4 flat miles round trip, don't miss the gears at all. I still want to do a little trail riding at lunch time, getting up the hills will be challenging!
  • 04-19-2008
    nnn
    I remember my first week 'training' for SS I started at a certain gear, dropped 2 teeth in the back by day 1, another by week 1 and will be dropping yet another when I get some SPDs...it's a vicious cycle but 42:18 should be fine in London...not exactly Chamonix :P
  • 04-20-2008
    Ryder1
    1 Attachment(s)
    On-One il pompino
    I've now been commuting by bike for 2 weeks and am totally sold on it, although writing my will is now on my list of things-to-do. Here's my new rig: Conti Contact 32mm, 48/20 freewheel, On-One midge bars, SPD, Eriksen post, Fizik Gobi saddle (soon to be gone).
  • 04-20-2008
    Jorgemonkey
    I've been commuting on my GT Ruckus SS with a 34x16 ratio. Its about a 7 mile each way commute with 450' climbing each way. On the way home though I usually go up the hill one or two more times to get a workout in, that usually adds another 1 1/2 miles
  • 04-20-2008
    TrekJeff
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mt bk
    Snow??? I've been commuting in Phoenix all winter, 1x/week, but 2 or three now that gas is so expensive. My commute is 32 miles round trip, usually with a tail wind in both directions. Using a Novara Big Buzz with 700 wheels. I'm thinking about fatter than 23 mm tires though, any suggestions?

Ritchey Speedmax are a v3ery nice commuter tire, They came stock on my Surly.