Wedges bad idea?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Wedges bad idea?

I don't always need cargo space when I use my bike as trasportation. But I want to be prepared. I am looking for a solution for carrying a spare tube/tools without using my rack trunk/panniers. Is there a great wedge pack for 26x2.2" tubes? I can easily find one for my 700x32's, but I want to find out what has been working the best for most riders.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I keep one on each of my bikes along with a pump mounted under one of the water bottle cages. It's nice to be able to just jump on your bike without having to think about grabbing your backpack or whatever you currently carry your tools in now. I have a large Sette Slik Pak on two of my bikes that holds a tube(26x2.2), two Pedro's tire levers, patch kit, Crank Bros m17 multi-tool, spare power link, a few zip ties, and a mini flashlight, I also sometimes stuff my Gerber multi-tool in there too, but it starts to get a bit snug. The only problem you might have is if you don't have a secure place to keep your bike, you either have to empty or remove the bag or risk getting it's contents stolen.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrins
    I keep one on each of my bikes along with a pump mounted under one of the water bottle cages. It's nice to be able to just jump on your bike without having to think about grabbing your backpack or whatever you currently carry your tools in now.
    Same here, and I don`t understand why anybody does otherwise unless it`s with a support team following along. Then again, the part about security and possibly having to repeatedly take it off if you frequent the wrong areas is true too, so maybe that`s why some people don`t keep a tool and tube bag permanently on the bike.

Theo, I take it you`re talking about getting a bag as small as possible so that your stuff JUST fits inside? If that`s what you want, your best bet is probably to take one of your tubes and whatever else you plan to carry, march into a well stocked LBS (or as many as you care to check) and try to actually stuff your goodies into different bags until you find one you`re happy with. If you do need to remove it on a regular basis, pay attention to how the mounting is- most are pretty easy , but I don`t think I`d go for one that`s Velcro dependent if it`s going to be stuck and unstuck every day. Getting a little bit bigger bag than you absolutely need is worth considering too. I put a big one on my road bike just because I happened to have it on hand. I intended to buy a smaller one eventually, but I`ve gotten to like the option to stuff a cable lock or a light windbreaker in there, so the big bag stays.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    There are a gazillion under seat bags out there. My favorite is the Jandd Mountain Wedge II, which comes in lots of colors and is the perfect size for a mountain bike tube, tire levers, multi tool and CO2 cartridge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Good point on the cable lock/raingear. I hesitate to shop my LBS because selection is not so great compared to on-line. since I can get ANYTHING I want by researching and asking informed people here.
    Thanks for all the input!

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheoDog
    I hesitate to shop my LBS because selection is not so great compared to on-line....

....since I can get ANYTHING I want by researching and asking informed people here.
    Yeah, unfortunately, little shops, or even big bike shops, aren`t able to stock everything that`s available over the internet. Sometimes it`s a real bummer because a lot of purchases work out better if you can actually see and handle the items you`re interrested in before buying and having them shipped from God knows where. I buy a lot online too, but remember that if we buy EVERYTHING online, the local shops will dry up and blow away and that ain`t good. Your seat bag is just the kind of thing I try to get locally.

Ummm... not really, but thanks for the thought
    Recalculating....

Members who have read this thread: 0