Waterproof commuting bag- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Waterproof commuting bag

I just got a new job that is an 8 mile bike ride away (mostly down the river trail, so I don't need to worry about traffic). I'll need to pack the following list every day:

- 17" laptop, shoes, business casual work clothes, towel, extra commuting layers, and a lunch bag. Plus whatever misc stuff I can jam in for traveling or taking weekend trips.

I'm just outside of Philly, so the weather will range from hot and humid, to cold and rainy/snowy. Ideally I'd like a bag that is fully waterproof just so I don't need to have any worries about electronics or clothing getting wet.

Unfortunately, there's not really many stores around that cater to commuters, so I'm stuck buying online. I've looked at the Ortlieb Packman Pro 2, Ogio All Condition, Chrome Excursion, Mission Workshop Fitzroy, and Timbuk2 Especial Quattro.

Timbuk2 is running a 30% off sale right now, so that one is the front runner, followed closely by the Mission Workshop just for style factor haha.

Are there any other bags I should be looking at? Any recommendations from the list I've been looking at already?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have a Chrome Messenger bag that commute with. It came with a rubberized canvas liner on the inside and on the closure flap. I have actually filled it with Ice and beer before and none of it soaked through to the outside. I have been very impressed with this bag. And the seat belt quick release on the strap is very handy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Are you near an REI? I think they have one in Conshohocken (sp?) and one just opened here in Delaware by the Christiana mall just off I95. They might have something you could actually put your hands on. Also, we don't have sales tax in Delaware so that can save a few bucks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah...I may have to make a trip to REI. It's about 30-40 minutes away, but it would be nice to put my hands one one before buying. Unfortunately the EMS close by doesn't have much in the way of commuter bags.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I was going to suggest the Chrome Yalta but it doesn't appear that your laptop will fit that bag. I have one and I absolutely love it. I also have 2 of their messenger bags as well, a small and large one for different commutes.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

Bedwards Of The West
    I have the Timbuk2 Especial Medio. Absolutely love it, and have had no issues with water.It's essentially the same bag as the Quattro with a zipper top instead of the flap-top. It's fully waterproof, and the Quattro is even more rain-friendly with the flap-top thing. I have to make sure to put the waterproof zippers off to the side and not right on top, or I can get a tiny bit of seepage at the top. You wouldn't have that problem with the Quattro. I didn't get the Quattro because it looked like it would block the over-the-shoulder traffic glance a bit.

I carry a laptop, change of clothes, lunch, thermos of coffee, and all the odds and ends (tools, spare tube, pump, etc). It's a super well-thought out bag for travel also, with a ton of accessible zippers, flaps, etc, when you slip one arm out and swing it around for one-arm access (grabbing passports, tickets, etc).

The one thing I had to get used to was the shape... it's a tall, rectangular bag...so it's super deep, but not as 'thick' out away from your back. It fits great on the bike, and this design is way better than a standard backpack, but you have to load it a bit different. It holds a ton though...you just have to stack it tall, not stuff it in the bottom of the bag, if that makes sense.

Totally recommend the Timbuk2.

Waterproof commuting bag-screen-shot-2015-09-29-8.20.20-am.jpg

Waterproof commuting bag-screen-shot-2015-09-29-8.20.31-am.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Bedwards Of The West
    Here's the laptop sleeve with a standard 3-ring binder in it, to give you an idea of how much room is there. My laptop is small, so I'm nowhere near pushing the capacity. But maybe you can find a binder and compare your laptop.

Waterproof commuting bag-screen-shot-2015-09-29-8.33.36-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    After giving a call to Timbuk2, I decided on the Especial Tres. The customer service guy was super helpful. He said that he has both the Tres and Cuatro. He explained that the Cuatro is hugeeee and would be overkill for anyone other than a bike messenger, or someone who was bikepacking for an extended period. I told him what I would need to fit and he said that it should all easily fit in the Tres with room to spare, plus it expands to add approx 10L of space if needed. I asked about their bag's waterproofing level and he said that they technically can't say that it's waterPROOF because you can't completely submerge it, but it will handle any rain storm out there.

Timbuk2 is running a 30% off sale right now online and free shipping over $75. So I got a $210 bag with a lifetime warranty for $146 shipped. Can't beat that deal. Definitely excited to get it and try it out

Bedwards Of The West
    Excellent. You'll love it. I rode to work in a good rain with mine this morning. Dry clothes, dry laptop... I take it for granted now. Used to have to line the old north face backpack with a trash bag to keep stuff dry.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Convertible Waterproof Pannier Backpack | Banjo Brothers
    -or-
    Waterproof Pannier | Banjo Brothers

I am a big fan of Banjo Brothers, they are local to me (MN).

I have the top bag the pannier/backpack and I am pretty impressed with it, it comes with a waterproof liner that is removable during hot and humid non rain months which also gives more space. I think a 17in laptop would be a tough fit though with a lot of other items.

The second bag should fit everything and once again is 100% waterproof with the same liner.

The prices are pretty well fixed on Banjo stuff (think Specialized) so it is hard to find a deal outside of ebay or a LBS coupon. Not saying anyone can't afford this stuff but discounts are nice.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If you haven't bought yet check out Velotransit Waterproof Laptop,Cycling backpack and Panniers ? Velo Transit It's all American made and they have excellent customer support. I ride year round in western NY and my pannier has never been wet inside. Little pricey, but well worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eness215 View Post
    pack the following list every day:

Consider using panniers. Sometimes its good have plenty of hauling capacity. I use Ortlieb. Panniers lower one's center of gravity and don't touch your body which deceases ventilation and increases perspiration.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just another vote for Timbuk2.

I have two of their standard messenger bags (stock medium custom large) and the build quality is spectacular. I don't carry a computer, so water isn't the end of the world, but my stuff stays dry unless it is absolutely pouring. Water can sneak down the sides since it is just a fold over, not a roll top.

I'd rather be on my bike
    After comparing Timbuk2 to all of my Chrome bags, Chrome wins hands down.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    North Face Router Charged