Wasting time in traffic- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wasting time in traffic

I came across this article on boston.com this morning. The interactive map is pretty cool. It works for the whole US, not just Boston.

Hate Traffic? Interactive Map Reveals Boston’s Worst Commutes - Massachusetts news - Boston.com

Scary to see how much time in the car millions of people are wasting.

Average commute where I live is 32.4 minutes. When I drive to work, it's usually an average of 18 minutes to work and 25-27 home.

since 4/10/2009
    Average commute time in my zip code is 26.4 min. My driving commute is spot on with that. Maybe a minute or so less. That will change enormously for me soon, though.

In October, my hours at the shop will drop for the season, and I'm going to be using that extra time to get my new business started. At that point, I'm going to be working from home. Most things I will need on a daily basis are a short walk or bike ride away. No daily commute.

jrm
    mtbr member
    American Community Survey data is really helpful. Also check out "transportation means to and from work" the cyclist % may surprise you. Here in Oakland we have a a 4% mode share which is really high in what can be a rather unconducive city to ride in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boston.com
    whether you take the T, walk or drive, no one looks forward to the drudgery of their daily commute. No one.
    I think that's a bit over the top. Forget bike commuters, I know people who enjoy a hour+ drive in traffic every morning... although I respectfully disagree with them...
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    ^ It highly depends on where you are commuting. Boston? I would not be at all surprised that it is drudgery. Commuting 35 miles in the midwest was an invigorating low volume drive in a GTI. Later, going 50 miles in the other direction in sporty 5 speeds, it was fine for the first half n the morning and last in the evening, but half was drudgery. So the locale time of day of the commute and season of the year and what you are driving and the rudeness of fellow drivers are all factors in how much of a drudgery a commute is. There are parallels in commuting by bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^ It highly depends on where you are commuting. Boston? I would not be at all surprised that it is drudgery. Commuting 35 miles in the midwest was an invigorating low volume drive in a GTI. Later, going 50 miles in the other direction in sporty 5 speeds, it was fine for the first half n the morning and last in the evening, but half was drudgery. So the locale time of day of the commute and season of the year and what you are driving and the rudeness of fellow drivers are all factors in how much of a drudgery a commute is. There are parallels in commuting by bike.
    Pretty much. Driving almost anywhere in eastern MA during rush hour sucks. A lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm north of Boston. My 18 mile commute takes 1 hour by car on back roads or 20 minutes longer by bike. Go figure. I love passing cars in 3 hour grid lock on my winter commuter, up hill, in the snow.( truth)