This vs. That- Mtbr.com

Thread: This vs. That

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

This vs. That

Guys I need some simple advice. I'm buying one of these two and I'm hoping you can tell me which to buy and why. They are both 3-speeds, even though performance bike has it listed as a single speed..

Here are the links to the 2 bikes:

1)https://www.performancebike.com/bike...400316__400316
    (I can get this one for 339 at performance bicycle)

2) Amazon.com : Framed X300 3 Speed Bike Black/Red 56cm : Road Bicycles : Sports & Outdoors
    (I can get this for 299 at the house outdoor gear)

I'm only 5'8 with a 30.5" inseem, I can only find that framed x300 in 56cm, if I lower the seat, will this be a problem? I was told a 53cm is what I should shoot for. The SE tripel only comes in 52/55.

since 4/10/2009
    I cannot tell you to buy either bike. I think they both suck.

Keep in mind my assessment is based on my own frame of reference, since you have provided no guidelines to the assessment we are supposed to make, except that you appear to be looking at 3 speed coaster brake hipster bikes. I don't know why you are looking at this style of bike. I don't know where you intend to ride it or how much. I don't know if you intend to haul anything or not. No clue.

So I use my own frame of reference and I'd never ride either of these bikes as a commuter. As a tool around bike, sure. A bar bike, looks good to me. My commuter is a 1x10 steel touring bike. It's burly enough to go on some nontechnical dirt and gravel roads. It has full fenders and a rear rack that gets used to haul stuff like groceries and work supplies. Sometimes, my commute is ~42mi round trip. To hell I'm riding a 3spd bike that much with my work stuff, on flat bars.

I don't know anything about SE Bikes, but I have encountered a Framed bike. They are a real hodgepodge. Some of the parts they use are decent stuff. Some of the parts on those bikes are absolute crap. Some of the workmanship sucks. The last one I saw came with 2 right hand pedals. Except one of them was labeled as a left hand pedal. Dude was confused. The headset was doomed. The interface between the HS and the frame was crooked and needed facing badly, except the bike was already built up. If you buy a Framed bike, my experience tells me that you're going to need to strip it completely down to a bare frame and check EVERYTHING (and face the head tube and bb shell) to build it up right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I appreciate your feedback good sir. I'll be using it to ride to work, and to school, on days I choose to. I have a nice car, just using it for fun commuting when i want. I wont be hauling, doing mountain trails and jumps, just simple roads maybe a curb or 2. I'm a poor college student that can't afford a nice $800 + bike. My end budget is no more than 350 bucks. What would you suggest I buy then?? I really like the way these two bikes look.

mtbr member
    I'd go with the SE. They made a name in high quality BMX over the decades but are now owned by Fuji and put out other bikes like this. They make a number of different level bikes. I've owned one of their new school BMX cruisers and loved it.

For a basic commuter, the SE looks like a good bet. It's got the Nexus 3-speed hub and more cool factor than the other.

Your other option would be search for a used bike in your range but that adds time and effort that you might not have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I went with the SE guys. found it for 280 at my LBS! sales for the win~

mtbr member
    It's good that you got it at the LBS, so if there are issues with the build, at least you'll have someone who knows what they're doing backing it.

Members who have read this thread: 0