Used Seek, how much is to much?- Mtbr.com
    Wait for me!

Used Seek, how much is to much?

Looking for a 2009 Giant Seek 1. LBS has a shop bike, used for errands and mild commuting. Exact bike I'm looking for, they offered it to me for $750 OTD. I'm thinking this is a little steep, I was thinking $6-650 would be more appropriate. Especially seeing as they bought it at cost and rode it for a while. Any input would be much appreciated. BTW, msrp for a new one is $1050

Oz
    mtbr member
    They probably paid somewhere around 600 to 650 for the bike, so maybe 700? If you buy it I would love to hear what you think of it. I was interested in the same bike.

Wait for me!
    I rode it around the parking lot today. Smooth ride. I definitely like the hydraulic discs, stops on a dime. The Shimano IGH is nice too, very low maintenance. Shifts pretty smooth too. I will definitely be getting one, just not sure if it will be this one.

Oz
    mtbr member
    Good luck with your search, if there are a lot of dealers in your area maybe you can find a brand new one they want to clear out for the 2010 models.

Wait for me!
    That's kind of what I was hoping to do. I just happened to stumble across that demo bike. I was thinking ~$800 for a new leftover, that's why I'm thinking 6-700 for the used one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    We normally sell brand new Seek 1's for $950
    At this point in the year lowest I could go would be $850 +tax

In your situation, I would offer them $650, they paid less that. Have you seen the 2010 Seek 0?

adam michigan karate monkey

Wait for me!
    OOOHH, I like the dropouts. Very tempting but I'm really trying to keep it on the cheap. I'm just looking for something to ride 5 miles to school a few times a week. What I'm really saving for is a 2010 Reign X1.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Have you ridden the Cannondale Quick? I really wanted a "mess-around" bike and it was between the Quick and the Seek. I rode them both and I felt the Quick rode much nicer, and that's the one I bought. Don't get me wrong though, the seek is still a very nice ride.

I picked out the Quick 4 because it's the first one in the line with the carbon fork, and I had planned on doing a very sweet 1x9 conversion so the drivetrain didn't matter. Here's the end result:

Quick 4 retails at $599.

Wait for me!
    That's good lookin. I'm pretty much sold on the Alfine IGH, low maintenance is good. Plus, hydraulic discs rock, a lot of my riding will be stop an go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, the Alfine Hub is an awesome design, seems to be working very well for people. I love the Alfine crank I put on my Quick

I have a Thomson setback for it too sitting at work, I keep forgetting to bring it home.

Oz
    mtbr member
    I like that kickstand on your Cannondale!

Does the Giant Seek have eyelets for fenders? Seems like the would be a good edition if this bike were being used as a commuter.

jrm
    mtbr member

Get um to throw in free tune ups/maintence

Quote Originally Posted by whoopwhoop
    Looking for a 2009 Giant Seek 1. LBS has a shop bike, used for errands and mild commuting. Exact bike I'm looking for, they offered it to me for $750 OTD. I'm thinking this is a little steep, I was thinking $6-650 would be more appropriate. Especially seeing as they bought it at cost and rode it for a while. Any input would be much appreciated. BTW, msrp for a new one is $1050
    that in itself is worth some $$$ in the long run. But more importantly make sure the bike fits you before buying. Its no "deal" if it doesnt fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Is the specs of the bike the exact same as stock? I would think they'd at least replace the seatpost/saddle before use.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Just out of curiosity, how much do those bikes weigh? I was playing with an IGH yesterday and it was heavier than a cinder block.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My Quick weighs about 24 lbs, I dunno about the Seek.

Wait for me!
    Its all stock except for the tires, which they upgraded to a heavy duty set. As far as size, Im 6' 2" and the bike is a large. It feels fine, although I may put some riser bars on it.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Not bad. Guess the IGH isn't a huge weight penalty...

Members who have read this thread: 0