Unlit cyclists face greater injury risk study finds- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Unlit cyclists face greater injury risk study finds

CYCLISTS riding without bike lights are three times more likely to be seriously injured in a crash than those who are lit up, a major study of cycling crashes in Melbourne has found.
    The study also found that almost half the crashes in which the rider was hospitalised involved a blow to the head, with cyclists who were travelling faster than 30km/h five times more likely to receive a head injury than slower riders.

The crash statistics are contained in a 12-month study of 158 cyclists who were admitted to The Alfred and Sandringham hospitals between December 2010 and November 2011.

Read more: Unlit cyclists face greater injury

Regards
    Andrew

mtbr member
    This study is probably from the same people who studied all 7 oceans and 600 lakes around the world and found.........WATER IS WET!
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Ummm...no $hit!!! And they probably spent thousands of dollars and an indeterminate amount of time to figure this out?

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    I wonder what the stats are on lit riders on major roads. Last night there was a guy riding a 6 lane road that has a 45mph speed limit at about 10mph. I don't know what he was thinking. At least he had lights. Someone else was hit around the same spot in the middle of the night. That person didn't have lights and was riding down the middle of the road.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    .WATER IS WET!
    I would argue that water is NOT wet and only causes other things to become wet.
    It can't act on its own self.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

CB of the East
    It also didn't differentiate between being unlit at night or during the day. It did mention that being lit would reduce the likelihood of a crash day and night but didn't really break it down to 2% better in the day and 80% better in the dark.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    It also didn't differentiate between being unlit at night or during the day. It did mention that being lit would reduce the likelihood of a crash day and night but didn't really break it down to 2% better in the day and 80% better in the dark.
    I agree that this sort of breakdown would have been especially helpful. I can't say I've noticed cars giving me more space during the daytime whether I'm running my lights or not, but I do see that at night, when running my lights, I am given MUCH more space comparatively. I would expect the difference in daylight hours to be statistically insignificant but huge during nighttime hours.

While this study may have been obvious to most of us, I do think it's worthwhile. Here in TX, lights are a legal requirement at night, and I know people who have been pulled over in my town for riding at night without them. With that said, I see differential enforcement. The folks pulled over for cycling violations seem to be disproportionately younger college students. But I do not see that same level of enforcement for the older, poorer population, who also ride bicycles a lot around here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    I would argue that water is NOT wet and only causes other things to become wet.
    It can't act on its own self.
    This strikes me as a ripe subject for a 10 year multibillion dollar research grant ....................wait a minute?!
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

No Stranger to danger....
    Well the study was done in Melbourne, most of them down there have two heads anyway, that would make it twice the chance of them having a head injury, this study is floored.............

~Disc~Golf~
    This strikes me as a ripe subject for a 10 year multibillion dollar research grant ....................wait a minute?!
    do you know someone with funds? - my premise is not only strong - but oft, ill repeated in negative
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Just call 1-800- Fairy-God-Senator and promise to donate 10% to their reelect campaign.

Natural Born Killer
    "The study, by researchers from the Monash University Accident Research Centre and The Alfred, also found that middle-aged men in Lycra - or mamils - were the road's most endangered species on a bicycle. Three-quarters of crash victims surveyed were men and about two-thirds of those men were aged 35 to 54."

Ahhhh! I'M DOOMED!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    in other news, it seems that politicians lie.

get right outta town!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sandringham is smack bang in the middle of a road popular with roadie weekend racers, I'm sure that's skewed the stats quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I agree that this sort of breakdown would have been especially helpful. I can't say I've noticed cars giving me more space during the daytime whether I'm running my lights or not, but I do see that at night, when running my lights, I am given MUCH more space comparatively. I would expect the difference in daylight hours to be statistically insignificant but huge during nighttime hours.
    My experience: Scenario Running lights wearing an ANSI vest, aiming to be seen at the 15-30 second point so drivers can plan (1/4 to 1/2 mile behind) riding on the 8' paved shoulder of a four lane 55 mph road. In bright sun, the ANSI vest alone can be seen that far, but it does not register with many drivers. Bright (Dinotte level lights) got 95% of drivers to shift in the right lane or move into the left. 20-25% did not bother to shift at all, some coming within 18" of me when I rode with PB Turbo lights. The night response is nearly 100% giving the right lane or a goodly portion of it. A 75% reduction in too close for comfort is significant in my book. The test was run twice in morning and in the afternoon in bright sunlight, so though not replicated to the point of providing an F- test, it passes the 'good enough', common sense standard.

So yes, drivers give more room at night. Yes brighter daytime visible lights can make a difference. Yes, a few pitiful drivers remain oblivious, don't know where the right side of their vehicle is, or want to buzz cyclists who dare to use the road or infer that they don't trust drivers to see them.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

This study is probably from the same people who studied all 7 oceans and 600 lakes around the world and found.........WATER IS WET!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I was riding the Green Bay trail at night (outside Chicago) and a sketchy dude rolled by with no lights. I like to bomb down the trails at night and I didn't want to run into him, so I ended taking streets. There are no lights on that chunk of the trail, so it was pretty stupid, if you ask me and it kinda ruined my ride.

It's foolish no matter where you're riding, but riding wooded trails in the dark without lights is just moronic and putting everyone else at risk too.

Members who have read this thread: 0