university parking, gah!- Mtbr.com
    since 4/10/2009

university parking, gah!

welp, I get to be a full time bike commuter for the next month whether I want to or not.

I went to the parking office to pick up my permit for the coming semester. the rates went up 150% from last year, quite a surprise to me. but still, at $100/yr, that's still a bargain compared to most universities.

The problem is, I am finishing my thesis and will be done here in a month or so. maybe less. I am NOT paying $100 for one month of parking, and they will not prorate it and give me a permit that applies for one month.

they have some kind of daily permit structure, which is new, but at $15/5 days, it's not much of a savings. last year's permit cost me $40 for the whole year.

money is tight because I need to account for buying a house, moving halfway across the country, paying tuition for one credit of nothing so I can finish my thesis, paying for the printing/binding of 5 copies of a 200+ page document, so such a high price for one month of parking is a bit much.

I am just concerned about thunderstorms, since Sept is one of two precipitation peaks here. I may get a daily pass to use one or two days/week if it looks too much like storms.

weirdo
    Good luck with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I am just concerned about thunderstorms, since Sept is one of two precipitation peaks here. I may get a daily pass to use one or two days/week if it looks too much like storms.
    I thought heat was the big obstacle there, didn`t even think bout a second rainy season. Will it likely be cooling down to something less than a steam sauna, or do you have both issues to contend wtih? Good thing there`s an option for daily passes.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Good luck with it.
    I thought heat was the big obstacle there, didn`t even think bout a second rainy season. Will it likely be cooling down to something less than a steam sauna, or do you have both issues to contend wtih? Good thing there`s an option for daily passes.
    this summer has not been too bad compared to last. it has mostly stayed under 100 this summer, thankfully. lately, daily highs have been around 90-95. hot, but manageable. some days the humidity is pretty low and there's a nice breeze, so it actually feels nice at 90+. I will probably have some time with both issues to contend with at the same time, but it's getting to that time of year where we're starting to get cold fronts that get it feeling pretty nice for a few hours after they roll through. by the end of Sept, it will probably be topping out in the mid-80's most days.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If it's hot and rainy, wear something wicking and take a change of clothes in a dry bag/waterproof panniers/etc. Change after arrival. Maybe include a small chamois to dry off.

If it's cool and rainy, snag some cheap rain paints from Nashbar or something and a cheap/light waterproof windbreaker. Probably do the change of clothes thing, too.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

since 4/10/2009
    looks like I'll probably be testing my bad weather contingencies towards the end of the week. Isaac is headed my way and looks to graze me most likely. Heavy rain and lightning are in the cards.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    looks like I'll probably be testing my bad weather contingencies towards the end of the week. Isaac is headed my way and looks to graze me most likely. Heavy rain and lightning are in the cards.
    Riding in the rain isn't all that bad. If you've got wool gear, even better. It's the best at wicking, dries faster than similar weight synthetics, and will actually keep you warm when soaked.

And if you get soaked, as long as you can maintain body temp, it really isn't bad.

since 4/10/2009
    It is not the wet, it is the lightning that I don't **** with.

Ever tried wearing wool when it is close to 100 outside with high humidity? Try again.

I have what I need figured out

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It is not the wet, it is the lightning that I don't **** with.

Ever tried wearing wool when it is close to 100 outside with high humidity? Try again.

I have what I need figured out
    Yes I have, and I'd take wearing a lightweight wool jersey/shirt over synthetic anything, any day. I've ridden across the country, commute daily to work, rode over 10,000 miles last year, and have ridden in just about any condition you could imagine. I've got a bit of experience with these things.

As for the lightning - we're on rubber tires, right?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    Yes I have, and I'd take wearing a lightweight wool jersey/shirt over synthetic anything, any day. I've ridden across the country, commute daily to work, rode over 10,000 miles last year, and have ridden in just about any condition you could imagine. I've got a bit of experience with these things.

As for the lightning - we're on rubber tires, right?
    note, I'm doing this because I refuse to pay $100 for a month of parking. wool shirts aren't cheap.

and your tires won't make a damn bit of good regarding lightning. the only thing that would protect you against a strike is a Faraday cage. a car's metal body acts as one, which is why a car can be hit by lightning and not have injured passengers. a bicycle is completely unprotected. I was almost hit once. WAY too close. I don't mess with lightning.

it is what it is. I bring an extra shirt so I can sweat in it on my ride and have a fresh one when I arrive to the office. if the storm outlook for the day looks like more than spotty stuff I can time, then I will drive and use one of my contingency plans. if it rains with no lightning (unlikely here), then I'll just not worry about it.

I actually tossed my clipless pedals on to improve my efficiency a bit for the commute. I think I was able to tack on an extra couple mph onto my average for the ride, as compared to the flats. probably has more to do with the soles of my shoes, but the end result is the same.

Bicycle Addict
    Yup, I paid $145 for parking at University of North Texas and sometimes I couldn't even find a spot. This semester I'll be doing mostly commuting by bike.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

jrm
    mtbr member

Check out your transit options

welp, I get to be a full time bike commuter for the next month whether I want to or not.

I went to the parking office to pick up my permit for the coming semester. the rates went up 150% from last year, quite a surprise to me. but still, at $100/yr, that's still a bargain compared to most universities.

The problem is, I am finishing my thesis and will be done here in a month or so. maybe less. I am NOT paying $100 for one month of parking, and they will not prorate it and give me a permit that applies for one month.

they have some kind of daily permit structure, which is new, but at $15/5 days, it's not much of a savings. last year's permit cost me $40 for the whole year.

money is tight because I need to account for buying a house, moving halfway across the country, paying tuition for one credit of nothing so I can finish my thesis, paying for the printing/binding of 5 copies of a 200+ page document, so such a high price for one month of parking is a bit much.

Dollars for donuts' sez that the school has some kind of transit subsidy. You could always use a bus bridge on the days it rains, or just take some extra time and ride the bus to school. This is what i do a better part of the year and i save a shlt ton of $$$ doing so.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Dollars for donuts' sez that the school has some kind of transit subsidy. You could always use a bus bridge on the days it rains, or just take some extra time and ride the bus to school. This is what i do a better part of the year and i save a shlt ton of $$$ doing so.
    lmao...I wish.

Busses ON campus are free, and that system got a bit of an upgrade this year (they are now trackable on your smartphone, have new vehicles, and run real regular routes unlike before). but I live in a city with only 30,000 people, half of which are students. our "bus" system here is a series of door-to-door coaches geared toward the limited mobility elderly. it doesn't run at night and even now, I usually go home right around sunset. they also do not have bike racks so I could bus in one way and ride back the other.

Members who have read this thread: 0