Type of Bike for Commuter/"2nd" Road Bike/Light Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Type of Bike for Commuter/"2nd" Road Bike/Light Trails

I realize I'm probably asking for too much from one bike, though maybe not...but I thought this community would steer me in the right direction.

I've been biking for nearly 20 years. I've had a HT, FS, several road bikes, a cross bike and a gravel bike. Due to an issue with my neck/shoulders, I decided a couple of years ago to stick with road only. Point being that I need to sit comfortably when I'm riding, with very little pressure on my arms (if not, leads to pain). This has worked fine. So I only have one road bike, and I ride indoors on a direct drive trainer in the winter (live outside Toronto). I ride 4x a week.

Now I've decided that I want to commute in town, when doing local things such as getting groceries, running to the store for things, the library, etc. For 'green' reasons, as well as fitness and fresh air. I'm not looking to commute to work. I live in a relatively small suburb, with a few bike lanes, but mainly sidewalks. There is also a nice gravel trail cutting through a forest that gets me to our downtown, where the library is. I've taken my cross/gravel bikes on this frequently when I had them, and it makes for a nice, short ride on a windy day (sheltered). Would also use the bike when riding with the family.

I thought I could also use the bike on those nice days in winter, when the roads are relatively clean (but not so clean that I want to haul out the road bike). From Apr-Nov, I would be on my road bike 95% of the time. Unless I'm riding around town on errands.

I have a bike rack (Tubus) and Panniers (Ortlieb), as I did some light touring 7-10 years ago. I would use them for errands. I may put fenders on...but not a deal breaker.

I'm thinking about a HT, or maybe a cross/gravel bike with good clearance for 40mm tires. I would like to keep $ to under $1,000 (well under if possible). I would get a good lock...but the bike would not be left unattended very long.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    With the generous budget you have, finding a bike to use for this type of riding won't be much of a problem. I would recommend going to your favorite bike shop and ask to test ride some bikes. Don't give them too many details about your purchase, or they might guide you right out of the kind of bike you need.

Find a bike that feels comfortable to you, one that you could enjoy riding and looking at when you aren't riding it. Make sure it will accommodate a rack and fenders as well as the tires you wish to run.

If it were me, I would try to find something with as little drag as possible, so I would stay with derailleurs and v-brakes instead of the IGHs and disc brakes everybody is heralding, but that is just me.

I would also go with upright bars, as I gave up drop bars after breaking my wrist. Of course, that was 20 years ago and I could probably ride drops fine now.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Niner bikes are on super discount (40% off). The RLT fits 45c tires and has all the attachment points you need. The top tube is pretty short as compared to some other gravel bikes and "comfort" road bikes (my comparisons are Ibis Hakkaluggi and Specialized Roubaix), so it's a more upright riding position.