two bike projects, can't keep both- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

two bike projects, can't keep both

I have acquired two project bikes that I really like and I am not sure which I want to keep. I have a mountain bike and room for one other bike in my apartment. I want a bike that i can use to run errands, do urban rides, maybe even ride to work (long ride, nasty traffic, no shower). I plan on building either of these with some Soma Moustache bars, road levers, and bar end shifters, which I have. both have room for at least 35c tires.

1. Scott Laredo- tough double-wall 36h hybrid wheels, chromoly frame, eyelets for a front rack, 3x7 drivertrain. it's heavy and it might be a bit too big for me. I can't find information about the geometry ANYWHERE.

2. Bianchi Boardwalk- lugged steel frame, light road wheels, 3x8 drivertrain. in the photo it has a 1x8 but i was able to fit some old XTR derailleurs and a triple up front.

I think the Scott might be overkill for my purposes, but it seems like it will last longer. the 1 1/8" headtube gives me the option of a threadless system later (it has a threaded/quill stem system now). the Boardwalk will probably last forever too, but the only thing holding me back is the 1" threaded fork. i've had a lot of bad experiences with those.

mtbr member
    I'd keep the Bianchi and perhaps put a mustache bar or compact cx drops on there.

weirdo
    OOOohh, a nasty dilema! I see your point- I`d like to hang on to both of them. Given the choice, I`d probably opt for the Bianchi being as it sounds further than the Scott from what you already have. The 8 speed drivetrain is a plus too, unless it`s one of those mythical 8 speed threaded freewheels. Will the wheel fit the Scott? That might even the score back up if you swapped the drivetrain over before unloading the roadie.

mtbr member
    neither of the bikes are "roadies". I would hold onto the Bianchi. It is a sweet looking bike and as you said, the scott is too big.
    You may be quick, but I'll knock you over

weirdo
    On a whim, I decided to look up those two bikes and see what the heck they were about. No, I guess the Bianchi isn`t really a "roadie". The Scott- ha! Must not be much on them out in internet land because the first hit that came up had pics of the exact bike and today`s question on another forum! Not much else followed. Anyway, I still like both the bikes (I`m a sucker for cool and mediocre). And the threaded headset that got a thumbs down on the other discusion is a plus for me. Flip a coin, Mack!

mtbr member
    yeah, I posted the same question in more than one place because I know I will get different kinds of answers.

the truth is that both of these bikes technically belong to the co-op where I volunteer, so I need to use the parts to put one together and put one back into the rotation for someone else to enjoy. i don't want to hog stuff. I just want to pick out the best/most appropriate parts to build one, or scrap the whole thing and start again. I think I could set them both up as single-speeds and ride around a bit to decide which works best, hopefully with the moustache bars, and go from there.

the Scott is probably not too big for me, it's just on the large end of what fits me. I seem to fit best on a 17-19" frame and it's a 19" seat tube. that says nothing about the TT length and angles. my only fear is that I am going to wreck the Bianchi because I ride BMX too I can't resist the urge to hop some curbs and bomb a grassy hill once in a while. the Scott bike seems stronger.

mtbr member
    I raced CX on a similar Bianchi for 2 years. I still have the frame somewhere and only retired it because I kept growing and it became too small. It is a rather stout bike.
    You may be quick, but I'll knock you over

mtbr member
    Finished!
    Scott Laredo, mostly original parts. thoroughly dismantled, cleaned, and re-built.
    replaced 7 speed freehub with an 8-speed freehub
    Soma Moustache bars and taller stem
    Schwinn barcons, Exage levers
    Ritchey CX tires
    Shimano triple cranks with external BB
    old XTR derailleurs

rapid rise!

all of this stuff was donated at the bike co-op, except the bars, which I traded for some old cranks that someone needed.

it actually fits me perfectly. I still have the Bianchi on the back burner in case I change my mind, but I think i'll stick with this. coming soon: new seat because that one is ridiculous, and a 1 1/8" threadless fork/stem/headset. sorry, maybe it's just aesthetics, but I can't stand quill stems and cone nuts on my steering.

dirtbag
    Nice job mack t!
    Amolan

CS2
    mtbr member
    Really nice job. Congratulations
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

weirdo
    Wow, your co-op has a lot better stuff than our bike junk yards- very nice, Mack! It looks like you have a full set of rack bosses too, which will make life easy in case you ever want to load it up. Schwinn Approved bar ends? I`ll be danged. I wonder what those came on. One of the Voyageur models, maybe?

Oh, yeah. Maybe it`s just asthetics, but I can`t stand goofy spacers and fat clampy thingies on my stem

mtbr member
    I think my hatred of quill stems come from my history of riding bmx. in the 90s, we got ride of quills for the threadless system. I can't tell you how many stems, forks, and headsets my friends and I broke (shattered, catastrophically sometimes) with those thin fork steerers and flimsy stems. I don't trust them anymore.