Tubeless tire suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Tubeless tire suggestions?

Hi,

I ride a cyclocross bike about 10mi per day on my commute. I also love riding light/moderate single-track with this bike. I do not race or go on super long road rides (50mi at the longest). I don't need (or want, really) a tire that can deal with mud, but I'd like something that can hold up in light snow, in addition to the very rocky single-track here.

I previously was running challenge grifos on Stan's iron Cross rims, tubeless. I liked them but they wore out very quickly for me. I also wouldn't mind something a little wider, as my bike has clearance for 35-38mm tires.

Have any ideas of what I should look for in a tire besides tubeless compatibility? I was thinking about a file tread or something, would that hold up to single-track alright? Most importantly I need something durable, as I'm on a tight budget. I can spend $100 or so on tires right now, but I can't afford a second set (definitely not another wheelset) and I don't want to have to replace them soon.

Any recs would be greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Snow, commute, rocky single track and cheap? Good luck with that. Schwalbe almotion? The commuter tires usually have a harder compound, so less grip off road. Snow? Studded tires work for me here in New England. Rocky singletrack? I use my my bike with 2.5" tires. I realize cross bikes are a do all kind of ride but my cross check only goes so far in the tech. Check out maxxis? And report back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Snow, commute, rocky single track and cheap? Good luck with that. Schwalbe almotion? The commuter tires usually have a harder compound, so less grip off road. Snow? Studded tires work for me here in New England. Rocky singletrack? I use my my bike with 2.5" tires. I realize cross bikes are a do all kind of ride but my cross check only goes so far in the tech. Check out maxxis? And report back.
    Snow is by far the least of my worries, we have 1-3 snowstorms a year and I have public transportation available, and flex hours if things get bad. I'm in PA so my idea of snow and rocks isn't as extreme as yours, for sure. I also don't mind expensive tires, I just want ones that will last. Finally I don't need top of the line pavement performance or puncture resistance, I was fine with my speed on my 32c grifos, and running the tire tubeless offers enough resistance for me.

Does that help narrow it down?

P.s. I saw Kenda happy mediums and they looked like they might fit the bill. Has anyone ever ran the 35c ones tubeless or have any experience with them?