tubeless anyone?- Mtbr.com

Jul 2007

tubeless anyone?

After reading the thread on tire weight and seeing the comments about puncture resistance, I was wondering if anyone else is running tubeless on their commuter.

Since I already had a set of ZTR's for my commuter (an MCR9 that was previously my primary mtn bike) I decided to stay tubeless when I switched over from fat tires. I originally started with 2 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Racers - one of which had sidewall issues and was quickly retired. I now have a Schwalbe up front and a 32mm Panaracer Urban Max on the rear. I may have to add new sealant every 2-3 months and I top off the air once a week but I have yet to flat.

Does anyone have any experience running tubeless on their commuter?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I need a compressor because I can't get my tires to seat. I have been running them with tubes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    I need a compressor because I can't get my tires to seat. I have been running them with tubes.
    Go to a gas station noob.
    :wq

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Go to a gas station noob.
    Gas station didn't work.

No-Brakes Cougar
    At least you're resourceful enough to use tubes as a stop-gap solution. I've heard recently that there's supposed to be a tubeless system for road bikes. Ever seen a roadie try to fix a clincher flat?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    May 2007
    road tubeless is kind of still born. No one making rims except Shimano IIRC and no one making tires except Hutchinson.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Kind of like carbon MTB rims?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Jul 2007
    I suspect that the higher air pressure required of road tires is a factor. Based on the air pressure limits listed on my ZTR rims I am exceeding the max air pressure by quite a bit as I am running 80 PSI on 32/35 mm tires. Also, when doing my research prior to trying tubeless for commuting, I was told to stick to wire bead tires. That certainly reduces options also.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah, I am running Continental Top Contact wire beads at 80psi right now, but if and when I get them seated on my ztr's I will be running them at around 55psi. Stans says it should be fine with one layer of yellow tape.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I'm running tubeless on...

a converted MTB commuter. The rims are Bontrager Mustang TLRs with the rim strip. Due to the road conditions arond here I decided to stick with a 2.0 cruiser/hybrid tire for the extra cush. The tire I settled on is the Bontrager Select Invert 2.0. Loaded em up with Stans sealant. The results have been great, 0 flats so far this year I used to run the same wheel/tire combination with tubes, but decided that running tubless might be interesting since I've had great sucess running my off road bike tubeless.

The things that I've noticed most with the set up are, less rotational weight; you can really feel loosing 130g worth of tubes. There's also quite a different feel in both responsiveness and ride quality of the tires. The bike is set up with a ridged fork and I've noticed quite a difference in transmited vibration. Both tubed and tubeless set ups are/were run at 40psi and the differences are really quit remarkable.

I don't know how this would relate to a much narrower tire set up. But for the MTB commuter using 1.75 tires on up, it seems to work quite well. I'd be a little hesitant running 35cs at 80 psi tubeless. That's way over what most tubeless systems are designed to handle. But if it works....

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Members who have read this thread: 0