Printable View

• 07-25-2011
    swell6
    Tube vs. Patch
    What do you guys do when you flat?

Install new tube?
    Pay the Bike shop to install new tube?
    Patch old tube?
    Patch old tube until old tube is one big patch?
  • 07-25-2011
    swell6
    How do you delete thread? This one isn't needed.
  • 07-26-2011
    Devilock
    I rock the spare tube
  • 07-26-2011
    MaukaRunner
    Quote:

Originally Posted by swell6 View Post

Install new tube?
    Patch old tube?

I know this wasn't one of your choices but have you ever considered tubeless?

I ride my bike on the road during lunch and had a bunch of punctures within a two week time and I converted and have been puncture free since.
  • 08-05-2011
    Berkeley Mike
    I use the spare tube, new or patched, that I keep in the seat bag, making sure to find the culprit in the tire. It is just faster. I'll patch later.
  • 08-18-2011
    sonic reducer
    i tape my tube to the underside of the toptube right behind the headtube.
    definitely just pack a spare and patch it later. also a schrader to presta adapter is good to have so you can use gas station air if you are without a pump. you can keep the adapter on the valvestem or zip tie it to something.
  • 08-19-2011
    ranier
    Quote:

Install new tube?
    Patch old tube?

new tube if in a hurry

paying the bike shop to install a new tube is for suckas!

patch the old tube if not in a hurry

use old multiple patched tube - absolutely! I'm "sorta" cheap like that.
  • 08-19-2011
    rodar y rodar
    Quote:

:eek: :eekster: :eek:
    There must be people who do that, but... Man! That`s really a job everybody who rides should learn and be willing to do!
  • 08-19-2011
    canyoneagle
    I'll throw a spare tube in while on the commute/ride, then patch the old one when i get home. Once I test it, it goes back into my pannier as a spare.
  • 08-19-2011
    CommuterBoy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    I use the spare tube, new or patched, that I keep in the seat bag, making sure to find the culprit in the tire. It is just faster. I'll patch later.

This.

But I went tubeless last year and had no flats in 1800 miles of commuting.
  • 08-19-2011
    jsilva
    I started using Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase (700x32) tyres and haven't had a flat since (about 2000 miles). Prior to that I had 3 flats in about 2 months of commuting. I have found chunks of stuff lodged in the Race Lite tyres, but no flats.

To answer the actual question, I carry around a Park Tool patch kit. Tiny and quicker than the cement variety.
  • 08-19-2011
    Bikinaz
    OK you guys that are tubeless, what tires are you using? I tried the Hutchinson Intensive but I want to go up in size just a little. Cracks and crap in the road are eating mine up in that small size.

Sorry I'm hijacking.
  • 08-22-2011
    CommuterBoy
    I'm currently using 2.35" Schwalbe Big Apples tubeless. They eat cracks and crap in the road for breakfast.
  • 08-23-2011
    Ronin Six
    Just as many stated above... use the spare tube, but patch if you're due for a short break and/or snack.

*** Would love to run tubeless just so I wouldn't have to deal with the occasional tube punctures as often, but is there such a thing as high-pressure tubeless? I like to run my tires around 80psi for the commutes on my MTB.
  • 08-23-2011
    CommuterBoy
    What everyone said to me (that I didn't believe) before I switched, was that you won't want to run that kind of pressure in your MTB once you're tubeless, and that the rolling resistance on pavement at 40-50 psi tubeless is about the same as 80 psi with a tube. They were obviously idiots....but:

You will not want to run that kind of pressure once you switch. 40-50 psi tubeless will be about same rolling resistance on your MTB as 80 psi with a tube.
  • 08-23-2011
    SlowJoeCrow
    Replace the tube with a spare, after finding source of puncture, then patch the tube at home with a Rema patch, I also carry glueless patches in case i get a second flat.
  • 08-23-2011
    Ginz
    I use the spare. When I get home, I patch the flat and that become the spare. I keep a big jar of rubber cement handy.