Trying to decide on a commuter, help! Take 5 seconds and vote!- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: What commuter?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trek Triton (split pea green)

    15 50.00%
  • Trek 4th District (candy apple red)

    3 10.00%
  • Trek 5th District (candy orange)

    12 40.00%
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    No longer a hardtailkid.
    Reputation: hardtailkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,830

    Trying to decide on a commuter, help! Take 5 seconds and vote!

    I've got it narrowed down to three bikes. I don't need a lecture about you thinking these bikes are way marked up...

    Trek Triton:


    Trek 4th District:


    Trek 5th District:
    Last edited by fc; 11-10-2012 at 11:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

  2. #2
    No longer a hardtailkid.
    Reputation: hardtailkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,830
    This thread needs an image icon. It brings people in!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trying to decide on a commuter, help! Take 5 seconds and vote!-2011-trek-summer-sale.jpg  

    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

  3. #3
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,168
    If it's going to be singlespeed why not flat bar

  4. #4
    No longer a hardtailkid.
    Reputation: hardtailkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,830
    I just don't like the limited options of places to put my hands. I can't get low and aero on a flat bar bike. I love the color scheme though! I'm thinking of getting the 5th District and eventually upgrading to a road bar.
    Last edited by hardtailkid; 07-08-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    390
    without engaging in any editorial comment regarding your choices...looks to me like it depends whether your preference is for steel/horizontal tt vs. alu/sloping tt

    have you actually ridden any of them? that should make your decision for you.

    aw shoot, i just can't keep myself from suggesting...
    if you don't mind ordering online & are lucky enough to fit the sizes available, afaic the best deals going on ss/fg bikes right now are:
    http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Prod=20270
    or
    http://www.bicyclebananasstore.com/2...09_Sputnik.htm

    you should check 'em out

    have fun & good luck...

  6. #6
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    My vote is for steel tubes for a commuter. Fit trumps everything else though. As far as bars, there are some alternative bars that I always thought could work well on a commuter so keep an open mind.Good luck.

  7. #7
    No longer a hardtailkid.
    Reputation: hardtailkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,830
    Well I stopped in today to pick up my pay check and I talked to a co-owner of the shop, and gave him a list of those 3 bikes to see what kind of discount he could give me. I'll probably be paying for it this week! I think I would be better off getting the Triton, because it would fit better, be faster, and more comfortable with the gel cork bar tape. I've been commuting on my dad's Giant Cypress (rigid, steel, hybrid) and my hands kept falling asleep on my rides.

    The gel cork bar tape and more stretched out position should help/cure that, correct?

    Thanks for voting everyone! I'm still not necessarily set on one bike over the others, so please keep voting.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

  8. #8
    the test dummy
    Reputation: insanitylevel9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,487
    trek 5th district or what ever riding to work all hunched over is the last thing you wanna do imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

  9. #9
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Which one fits and feels the best, thats the one fer you
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  10. #10
    No longer a hardtailkid.
    Reputation: hardtailkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,830
    I might be paying for it today. I'll keep yins updated
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

  11. #11
    No longer a hardtailkid.
    Reputation: hardtailkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,830
    I ordered a Triton today, duuudes. Oh yeahh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

  12. #12
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Congrats, post some pics when you get it.

  13. #13
    a lazy pedaler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,761
    congrats kid!
    it really looks nice!
    I saw you asking about gear...tell us about your commute...

    I'm building a steamroller to ride it around the city and hopefully some longish ss flat rides...its killing me, I have it almost ready but the money for those last bits just doesn't show up...on the other side my right knee is f&d up from a Futsal game last week and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be out a week or two.

    my commute is 5 mi and I do plan to do it sometime on the Baroness, for that I'm pretty sure I'm getting an Ortlieb Messenger Backpack.

  14. #14
    No longer a hardtailkid.
    Reputation: hardtailkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,830
    I have multiple routes. They are all about 10.6 miles each way. I cut through on two maybe 20-yard trails. I don't want to have to carry a CamelBak or a backpack of any kind.

    What do you want to know about my commute?
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

  15. #15
    a lazy pedaler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,761
    yeap 10 mi with a backpack may s%ck...it is just about the size of your rack/pannier then...I would go with the smallest possible to try keep you Triton light
    how much will you be taking to the shop?
    will you be showering there?

    musts for me, no matter how your commute is:
    lights (front and rear)
    helmet.
    basic tools (including a spare tube)...
    after my "puke on the road experience" (not mine) I think fenders are a must no matter how fair is your weather.

    clothes is a very broad subject, it will basically depend on weather conditions and personal preference.

    computer only if you want to record your times.....it also help me to ride a bit harder on those days I woke up late.

  16. #16
    No longer a hardtailkid.
    Reputation: hardtailkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,830
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo View Post
    yeap 10 mi with a backpack may s%ck...it is just about the size of your rack/pannier then...I would go with the smallest possible to try keep you Triton light
    how much will you be taking to the shop?
    will you be showering there?

    musts for me, no matter how your commute is:
    lights (front and rear)
    helmet.
    basic tools (including a spare tube)...
    after my "puke on the road experience" (not mine) I think fenders are a must no matter how fair is your weather.

    clothes is a very broad subject, it will basically depend on weather conditions and personal preference.

    computer only if you want to record your times.....it also help me to ride a bit harder on those days I woke up late.
    I take a change of clothes to the shop. (Shirt, shorts, maybe shoes)
    No, I just take a couple wet paper towels and wipe my face, arms, and legs. We do have a shower there.

    Lights; can you recommend a decent set?
    Helmet; I saw one that was like an urban helmet, but I can't find it anywhere. I thought it was a Poc (brand) but I don't remember.
    Basic tools; I'll need to get some. Just a multi tool? I'll need a 15mm wrench, but I looove bolt on wheels.
    No fender bolt mounts on the fork. I have puked before though )
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rearviewmirror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    608
    Flatbar for commuting is the only way to fly...
    Draft College Republicans

  18. #18
    a lazy pedaler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,761
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid View Post
    I take a change of clothes to the shop. (Shirt, shorts, maybe shoes)
    No, I just take a couple wet paper towels and wipe my face, arms, and legs. We do have a shower there.

    Lights; can you recommend a decent set?
    Helmet; I saw one that was like an urban helmet, but I can't find it anywhere. I thought it was a Poc (brand) but I don't remember.
    Basic tools; I'll need to get some. Just a multi tool? I'll need a 15mm wrench, but I looove bolt on wheels.
    No fender bolt mounts on the fork. I have puked before though )
    Lights...there is a ton of info here: https://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/another-commuting-thread-about-lights-585603.html
    it all depends if you just want be seen or to see as well...which basically will affect the amount of lumens on front...My current setup is like this:

    Front Lights:
    1st: Sigma Triled / Handlebar / Blinking.
    2nd: Sigma Triled / Handlebar / Blinking.
    Tail Lights:
    1st: Topeak 10Leds UFO / Trunk Bag / Blinking.
    2nd: Sigma Cuberider / Helmet / Blinking.
    3rd: PDW Radbot 1000 / Rack / Blinking.

    I don't need lumens to see, so it's all about be seen for me

    Helmet... it's up to you..I would get this one to match my Triton though


    are you serious with the tools? how long have you been riding/working at a bicycle shop? sorry I just had to ask!
    you need to be able to change your tube, adjust a brake, repair you chain... at least.

    there are a couple of roadie friendly fenders out there that work without fender bosses...but there is always a way to put some full fenders without them... I assume the bike has room for full fenders....Trek/GF did a great job with that bike just to #$$ it not letting people install fenders properly on front

  19. #19
    No longer a hardtailkid.
    Reputation: hardtailkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,830
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo View Post
    Lights...there is a ton of info here: https://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/another-commuting-thread-about-lights-585603.html
    it all depends if you just want be seen or to see as well...which basically will affect the amount of lumens on front...My current setup is like this:

    Front Lights:
    1st: Sigma Triled / Handlebar / Blinking.
    2nd: Sigma Triled / Handlebar / Blinking.
    Tail Lights:
    1st: Topeak 10Leds UFO / Trunk Bag / Blinking.
    2nd: Sigma Cuberider / Helmet / Blinking.
    3rd: PDW Radbot 1000 / Rack / Blinking.

    I don't need lumens to see, so it's all about be seen for me

    Helmet... it's up to you..I would get this one to match my Triton though


    are you serious with the tools? how long have you been riding/working at a bicycle shop? sorry I just had to ask!
    you need to be able to change your tube, adjust a brake, repair you chain... at least.

    there are a couple of roadie friendly fenders out there that work without fender bosses...but there is always a way to put some full fenders without them... I assume the bike has room for full fenders....Trek/GF did a great job with that bike just to #$$ it not letting people install fenders properly on front
    I've only been working at a shop for just under 2 months, but ask me to do anything on a bike, and I will. Everyone else I've worked with at the shop is surprised at how freaking much I know about bikes. I'm not just saying that.

    I could do all that a year before I ever even thought of working at a shop.

    Post a picture of your Triton
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

  20. #20
    a lazy pedaler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,761
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid View Post
    Post a picture of your Triton
    I wish... by "I would get this one to match my Triton though" ... I meant your Triton

  21. #21
    No longer a hardtailkid.
    Reputation: hardtailkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,830
    I found the POC Trabec helmet. Me gusta. Here's a pic:

    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,400
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid View Post
    The gel cork bar tape and more stretched out position should help/cure that, correct?
    We are all different and change over the years, too. Cork/foam backed leather-simulated tape and padded bike gloves fixed this for me. Anything less, and after 25 miles I can't write for days. My wife claims my normal scrawl isn't writing, but I am talking about not being able to grip the pen properly let alone write with it. Whatever works.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 05:55 PM
  2. Trying to decide
    By BigE610 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 06:28 AM
  3. Upgrading my commuter bike, help me decide
    By Salsa_Lover in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 06:39 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 05:45 PM
  5. Help me decide what to do?
    By aadadams in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2007, 10:06 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.