TruVativ Elita Cyclocross Crank on an MTB c'muter?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

TruVativ Elita Cyclocross Crank on an MTB c'muter?

Does anyone know if these will work on a 71mm BB shell of my MTB frame? It seems like a good idea to use a 38-46T crankset on my MTB commuter bike with street tires to get a little better drivetrain ratio. Also, since I took off my 2.1 MTB tires and went with 1.5 tires I've been striking the cranks on the ground more, the 170mm long cranks could help road clearance and help make the chainring-to-cassette ratio not overly tall.

thanks!
    Feel the Bern!!!

Bedwards Of The West
    46T isn't that huge...your bike was probably built to clear a 44T. (what frame is it?). I'd get a BB that is a few mm's wider than your existing one (same 71mm shell size obviously, but wider). This should keep the bigger chainring from hitting the chainstay. The only issue this could bring up is chainline problems...but if you're only going a few millimeters it shouldn't be an issue. You want to go as wide as you need to in order to avoid hitting the chainstay, but as narrow as you can possibly get away with on the BB. Those are ISIS cranks, so there are tons of BB options.

I have found that the crank usually wants to hit the chainstay before the chainring in a lot of cases. Depends on how the chainstay is shaped on your frame. Either way, a wider BB is the solution. Lots of them also have a spacer you can use to get a litte more width out of it. External BB's are sweet for this. Way easier to set up a good chainline using spacers.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    thanks for the info, I'll check out the clearance at lunchtime. I bet the 2 extra teeth would only add up to .0001 mm larger chainring diameter! I'll have to guess that the BB diameter isn't an issue... I'd really rather dump the 'ol beater bike and get a Vassago Fisticuff or maybe a belt drive NORCO vesta... hmmm.
    Feel the Bern!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0