Trouble finding fitting helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Trouble finding fitting helmet

I already bought 2 helmets that didn't fit and returned them. I found this reasonably priced one since the "XL" helmets were too small:

XXLarge Dot Red Blue Adult MX Dirt Bike Motocross Helmet | eBay

Is this a decent choice weight/vision-wise?

I'd rather be on my bike
    You are going to commute in a full face Motocross helmet?
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    You have been asking about such helmets for a while. We have been telling you that they are unreasonably heavy, poorly vented, and generally not well suited to bicycle commuting.

Either there is a failure to communicate, or there are some men you just can't reach. Why do you need a motorsports helmet for a single speed commuter bicycle?

This helmet will give reasonable peripheral vision and it is cheap. If you have a need for a motorsports helmet, give it a try. On a motorcycle, there is no substitute for a good full face helmet. At low speeds however (under 35 mph) they are hot and heavy.

I have had good luck with the Giro Reverb fitting my 7 5/8 hat- size- head with a wool liner cap under it, Bern also makes several good looking bicycle helmets (though they run on the small side of the posted sizes).

If you could explain why you want a motorcycle helmet rather than a bike helmet, we could be more helpful and less judgmental.

mtbr member
    Or go without a helment. It's not like they're the panacea they're trumpeted as.

mtbr member
    Instead of buying a helmet online without being able to try it on then having to pay return shipping, why not just go to a bike shop where you can try a bunch on and buy on there if you find one that fits?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Try the specialized MAX, I have a large melon as well. Go to the LBS and try some on. Start there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had a lot of trouble finding an XXL at a cheap price. The full face helmets always pop up first. Oh well I guess I'll keep looking. Full face is likely overkill.

I do have a solution for the summertime already. The helmet is small, but big enough to put on without a hat. It just sucks with a hat/balaklava. How would this helmet handle in the wintertime?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    You will likely still want a thin fleece balaclava or face mask under this helmet in winter, and it will still be heavy. Otherwise, it should be fine- if a little overkill.

I'd rather be on my bike
    For the winter route I suggest a snowboard helmet and goggles and a balaclava or your choice of face protection. That full face is overkill for anything other than Red Bull Rampage and Motocross.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Before you pull the trigger on the full- face moto helmet, take a look at something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Piston-Sp...ds=bell+piston

Most of the sporting goods stores and bike shops around here have a version available to try on, in the under $40 price range, often under $30. The dial- a- fit system lets you adjust to different liner hats quickly, and goes much bigger than you might expect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    To piggyback here, Bell makes an XL universal fit helmet, can't remember the name though. I can't imagine that a decently sized shop that carried Bell wouldn't have it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    Before you pull the trigger on the full- face moto helmet, take a look at something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Piston-Sp...ds=bell+piston

Most of the sporting goods stores and bike shops around here have a version available to try on, in the under $40 price range, often under $30. The dial- a- fit system lets you adjust to different liner hats quickly, and goes much bigger than you might expect.
    Already tried those. Head barely fit with nothing on it. The dial-a-fit system only expands as far as the hard shell.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Don't take this the wrong way, but exactly how big is your head?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I think this is the one wschruba mentioned:

https://www.performancebike.com/bike...400146__400146

Designed to be bigger than the standard OSFA, otherwise very similar to the piston above.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but exactly how big is your head?
    It is very tight at the sides. When I measured it I thought it would fit well in an XL with a bit of room to spare for a light hat. Looks like I need an XXL at the very least if I want to use a hat. An XL is just barely big enough, if a bit tight, with no hat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Is the tight helmet a bike specific helmet? Unfortunately, each brand seems to have its own notion of headshape. Unless you have free shipping and returns, this is a really good reason to go to a local bike shop or sporting goods store and try them on in person.

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ I found this as well. Giro and other brands don't seem to fit my head like Bell does. I have tried several brands on and none of them are as comfortable as a Bell.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vassock View Post
    It is very tight at the sides. When I measured it I thought it would fit well in an XL with a bit of room to spare for a light hat. Looks like I need an XXL at the very least if I want to use a hat. An XL is just barely big enough, if a bit tight, with no hat.
    I have my doubts about the claimed absolute size of your head. I would believe that you may be a bit too wide to fit a given helmet (though maybe not to long front to back).

You absolutely have to try different brands, because they all have slightly different shapes. Some more (or less) narrow than others.

A full face moto helmet would make you hate riding a bicycle. No question about it. Hot, heavy, restrictive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I have my doubts about the claimed absolute size of your head. I would believe that you may be a bit too wide to fit a given helmet (though maybe not to long front to back).

You absolutely have to try different brands, because they all have slightly different shapes. Some more (or less) narrow than others.

A full face moto helmet would make you hate riding a bicycle. No question about it. Hot, heavy, restrictive.
    Yes, it's the width that is bothering me the most. I have tried a regular bike helmet and a "bucket" bike helmet. Full face helmets aside, what about this:

XXL PGR B08 Flame Black Red Motorcycle Dot Half Helmet Touring Harley Bike | eBay

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Have you tried a regular bike helmet made by Bell? Which manufacturers have you tried?

I'd rather be on my bike
    Anything other than a biking helmet would be hot, especially in the summer. Hell, in the summer, even a proper vented biking helmet is too hot. OP - it is pretty clear that you want to do this your way, so ignore the advice given here. Get a motorcycle helmet or full face motocross helmet and use that. Please report back when you have either stopped riding or stopped wearing the helmet.

since 4/10/2009
    Not to mention, why do you want to wear a hat under a helmet?

If you are already a difficult fit, you may not have a choice.

FWIW, Bell Bishop is the OSFA "extra big" helmet. I think the Savant offers an XL size, as well, but I'm not sure how the two compare. I wear large helmets, so it's not an issue for me. I don't encounter many people who need the Bishop, and most of the ones that do have a lot of hair that increases the difficulty of finding a good helmet fit.