Trickle charger - how to power?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Trickle charger - how to power?

Mods, feel free to move this but I figured it's the best place to ask.

I use my car very little most of the year, sometimes once in two weeks. My trips are almost all less than 10 miles.

Last Saturday I had the OEM battery on a 2012 car replaced after needing to be jump started twice within a few hours. I drove straight to a mechanic after the second time.

I'd like to get a trickle charger on the car but it's parked in my apartment building's garage and there is neither AC nor sunlight available. Suggestions? Have approached vendors who specialize in this and they have nothing. I read in an exotic car forum that some owners use a battery disconnect for lightly-used cars, but I can't see how this addresses battery chemistry. I guess other solutions are to lug a jump starter around or stick a second battery, inverter, and trickle charger in the passenger compartment.

Thanks.

Bedwards Of The West
    Disconnecting it will help... there is a very low drain as it sits there... not practical in terms of having to jump in it and go if you need to be quick though.

With a relatively new battery, you should be fine for long periods of time. If you're worried about it, and can park the car near a power source once every month or two, that's probably plenty... just stick it on a charger (not a trickle) for a few hours.

But in reality... you shouldn't have to do anything unless your car is really sucking juice... aftermarket stereo? Alarm? anything like that? Those can be culprits.

My Jeep is sitting outside in teens to below zero temps and getting started once or twice a week...on a battery that's at least 6 or 7 years old.

If you think you have a situation where an alarm or something is draining the battery, just disconnect the ground cable and you won't have to worry about it.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

CB of the East
    I agree with CB. If there is no draw it should go for months. My truck sits for several weeks at a time with no problem and it's a diesel so it takes tons of juice to warm the glow plugs and crank it.

A quick way to disconnect is one of these: Battery Disconnect

I'd be more worried about how many times you do a brake job. OMG!!! I've replaced the brakes on the F--in Chevy with 36K miles on it more than every other car I've owned combined. Seriously, every 2 years. It hates not getting used.

CB of the East
    FYI, there was a similar thread not long ago. There may be some ideas in there. http://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/car...ce-996604.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    FYI, there was a similar thread not long ago. There may be some ideas in there. http://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/car...ce-996604.html
    I think I saw that thread. Problem is I have no way to keep the battery charged.

Looks like a disconnect will serve my purpose.

Moderator Moderator
    Yeah, that situation's not right, mtrac, I would probably get a decent new battery and call it good, unless it is -20F regularly you should not have issues.