transporting Propane tank- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

transporting Propane tank

In my quest to go car free, the one thing that I haven't figured is how to transport a 20lb propane tank without using a trailer. I do have an Axiom rack that is supposedly good for 75kg. Should I find a giant crate and zip tie it on? Suggestions ideas please.

Yeah!
    If you are going to trasport heavy, fluid items, trailers are the only way to go. 17Lbs of tank well above my center of gravity, with an additional 20lbs sloshing around, pulling me from side to side, not my idea of a safe ride. If I had no choice, I'd pony up for a 5Lb tank and enjoy the extra exercise.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Sounds dangerous. Either go with a trailer or don't transport it via bike at all.

mtbr member

It's been done.

An early (heavy) version of my porteur style rack. Made two such trips before the rack was modified. When full, there is no noticeable slosh effect form the tank. Half full would stink. I will admit that it did not improve the handling, but was not excessive. A wiggly brother on the handlebars is several quantum levels worse! My cat in a carrier is worse. The collision hazard is in the mega-conflagration zone, though. Cager flambe! So the liability even if it was the driver who messed up is a deal breaker. (But judge! He ran the stop sign, failed to yield, and had airbags, bumper, seat belt and all that steel, this just leveled the playing field a bit! Yeah, right. Like that will fly...) The lighter version of the rack might have too much flex to be handle the load well.

A bike as it currently is with produce from the farmer's market:

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    They do it in the Caribbean all the time.

mtbr member
    If you haven't much for the lawyers to take, well then freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose. Me and Bobby McGee. The crash would not be this spectacular though:

A blast, right?

Moderator Moderator
    Another option to consider and skill to cultivate when going car-free would be bartering. Yes it's nice to be 100% independent, but if it's a win-win why not consider alternatives? A neighbor could easily drop off a tank for you on the way by, and you could...(walk the dog, fix a flat, share something from your garden, etc.).

I think you can also use your good rack, but I wouldn't rely on zip ties, they are really not that strong, and weaken with age. I'm a fan of Thule type straps and the smaller versions you can find in the camping department.

NDD
    mtbr member
    When I was in Panama, I saw an old guy riding while holding the tank with one arm over his shoulder. Try that.

mtbr member
    How often do you need to buy/replace one? I would just ask a friend/family member with a car as a favor and do something nice for them in return. Homemade cookies? 6 pack?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What is wrong with a trailer? It's the safest and easiest way to haul heavy items. If I can pull around 80 pounds of kids in a trailer, I think a propane tank is no problem.

mtbr member
    A sturdy porteur rack will do the job perfectly. As for the safety aspect, they allow people to put them in a trunk of a passenger car. So, on a bike, not a problem.

The much weight will make steering more difficult, but go slow and be cautious.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What do you need to transport that much propane for? You need that much propane that one of the pounder canisters won't do the job?

If it's for home BBQ use - why not just switch to charcoal?
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    If it's for home BBQ use - why not just switch to charcoal?
    Because that requires a whole new grill, if getting a comparable grill? A trailer to transport the propane would be cheaper and useful for other shopping.. Also if you have not used both, you don't understand the convenience of propane.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I will use a car share program or ask a friend for a favor. Charcoal isn`t an option cause I`d be breaking the bylaws in my area due to where I live.