traffic- Mtbr.com

Thread: traffic

mtbr member
    May 2006

traffic

With fuel prices so high, does anyone notice less traffic on the road?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Not at all. I hope I see more cyclists.

dirtbag
    There'll never be less traffic in the Bay Area.

Like Schmucker says, probably see more cyclists.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Not any less traffic, but I have noticed more SUV's and trucks on the used car lots!

As for gas prices, Im going to start commuting on bike a few days a week, hopefully getting a scooter (100mpg baby!) to commute on off days, and leaving the Jeep home more often!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    just curious because I am starting up my night shift commute this week and you can't really tell when you drive.

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    nope, most people will never give up their cars, they will just grouse about the price and keep right on driving.
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

Epic Photographer
    Oct 2006
    Supercorsa has it right. You don't hear addicts complaining about how much their fix costs, only where they can get more.

mtbr member
    I was watching a show on the science channel and they stated the same thing. People who can afford $40k or more on an SUV can afford $4/gal. It's those in the lower income brackets that will feel the effects of the high gas prices, and those are the ones already driving budget compact cars. Ironic, isn't it?

It's an unfortunate situation- I can't afford two cars, so my one car needs to be able to fit my whole family (which it doesn't really). I'd love the 7 seater for family trips, the smart car for runs to the grocery store or to and from work, and the full size pickup for when I need to haul something, but man, could you imagine the insurance and payments on all three cars?

My best compromise is the 5 seat small SUV and commute to work by bike everyday, which I'm thankfully getting ready to do again (typing on my new laptop right now )

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mikeb
    Quote Originally Posted by commo_soulja
    There'll never be less traffic in the Bay Area.

Like Schmucker says, probably see more cyclists.
    the bay area is full of phony environmentalists.

cover your car in all sorts of bumper stickers, then drive it every where you go
    Last edited by mikeb; 03-25-2008 at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I see alot more bikes, cars just look the same.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well, I start tomorrow, just hope I don't get hit... I got buzzed a lot the other day riding to the mechanic to pick up my car. That was during the day and it made me a bit nervous about the commute.

May 2007
    Gas prices would have to sky rocket for people to give up on the car. I already commute most of the year, (winter-summer) so gas prices don't affect my 'commute' so far. I think more people will slowly begin to cycle to work, but as I said..gas prices would have sky rocket and even then, people will keep forking over the cash.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well I did notice a reduction in traffic. @25 vehicles passed me in my lane during the 50 minute ride. Last year it was @25 cars in 10 minutes. I am sure as the light lingers later the traffic will increase. Everyone passing gave me tons of room, so far so good. I did loose the tail light off the rack trunk... I hope to find it on the way home. Also the 5-LED Nashbar light is insufficient for riding any faster then 15mph.

I'm SUCH a square....
    maybe it's too early in the season, but i've only seen 2 other bikes out this year so far. Cars are down just a tiny smidgen.

been car-free since '05; pick my daughter up from after-school activities in a trailer (she loves it in all weather), get groceries (when it's my turn, sis&hub do most of it) with the trailer, i ride to pay bills, only get off the bike when surface conditions won't support the bike (glare ice, deep snow) -- then i get on the bus.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by vw_steggie
    With fuel prices so high, does anyone notice less traffic on the road?
    With gas prices up, there`s less traffic in my driveway. It used to see either my wife`s car or my pickup pass through maybe six times a day- now it`s about half that on average. If you want to, you can come pedal around out here

Members who have read this thread: 0