Toxic cities mock 'healthy' cycle riding- Mtbr.com
    vanguard

Toxic cities mock 'healthy' cycle riding

Toxic cities mock 'healthy' cycle riding

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7140213.ece

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Vanguard, G'day.

I was having a discussion with one of my friends the other day about how bad cycling on the main roads in our neighbourhood was becoming concerning fumes, with the increase in traffic from new housing developments. My friend said, that she doesn't notice anything wrong at all, when she is driving. Car drivers don't breath as deeply as cyclists obviously. Riding on the fringe of a city is bad enough nowadays with the smell of unleaded petrol. It is good being a fringe dweller.

Cheers Mate and thank you for posting the link.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 05-30-2010 at 09:44 PM.

mtbr member
    This has been a question in the back of my mind. I also noticed chainreactioncycles has masks. Just don't know how impractical anything like that would be.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

Recreational Racer
    Hmm... Sketchy at best, no independent lab testing on Respo masks to be found. I'd rather do without than be lured into a false sense of security on to find out later that it was all for nothing. I'm not saying its snake oil but some proof would help.
    “Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.”

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Interesting article,if its bad for cyclist,what must it be like for those who go out jogging,i wonder if a person running would breath in more particles than a cyclist.?

weirdo
    Well, it doesn`t sound very good, but I didn`t get the feeling that anybody was being mocked. Deisel engines emit more particulates? I thought they were supposed to be cleaner than gasoline.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Well, it doesn`t sound very good, but I didn`t get the feeling that anybody was being mocked. Deisel engines emit more particulates? I thought they were supposed to be cleaner than gasoline.
    I would say more like the potential harmful effects of riding in a toxic city mocks your health. Initially I had to do a double take, too.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    They are cleaner for greenhouse gases. Particulates are a problem with diesel, they emit many more times nano-particles than gasoline engines, and diesel particulates are a suspected human carcinogen according to IARC, if I remember correctly. There are filters to deal with the particulates, but I don't know how many passenger cars or even worse, city buses, use them.

Particulates may also be the reason bad air quality days are associated with more cardiac events among the elderly.

David B.

mtbr member
    By riding a block or two away from the main heavily traffic road will improve air quality by up to 90%. Not to mention noise level too.

mtbr member
    I suppose the same goes for pollen intake? Even with allergy meds, my eyes and throat are itchy for a few weeks into the warm weather.

Moderator Moderator
    An easy way to follow air quality in your area is on wunderground.com - enter your zip & below the weather forecast is the air quality forecast in an easy green/yellow/red style rating.

More detailed air quality info can be found at
    http://cfpub.epa.gov/airnow/index.cf...on=airnow.main

On Monday, VT got smoke from the forest fires in Quebec, and the map looked like this...
    Also below is a worldwide map of deaths from air pollution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toxic cities mock 'healthy' cycle riding-mem-day-air.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Bedwards Of The West
    I don't see how the entire sprawl of North America is lavender. I'm pretty sure that a square mile or two in the Canadian Rockies has some pretty clean air. And ain't nobody falling over dead in the northwest passage from air pollution.

And Saudi Arabia? Cleaner air than my stretch of the Sierras? Highly suspect... I'm sure there's at least a few oil fires burning over there that are cranking out some nasty nanoparticles. The whole of Europe, for that matter...puh-leeze. That map is the air pollution equivelant of someone saying that since I'm in California, I must deal with horrible traffic.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Bike Dork
    Quote Originally Posted by Jvan_wert
    Hmm... Sketchy at best, no independent lab testing on Respo masks to be found. I'd rather do without than be lured into a false sense of security on to find out later that it was all for nothing. I'm not saying its snake oil but some proof would help.
    I used one almost daily from '93-'96 and it worked great. It was particularly nice during rainy or cold days as just a face mask. I got it because I was commuting in Seattle with a lot of traffic. If you're a glasses wearer it's much better than most masks as it doesn't fog your lenses. I also used it for brazing and welding for many years after I stopped commuting with it. I replaced it with something a little better for industrial applications a North 7700 half-face.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Commuter Boy, that map is deaths from air pollution. There could be other reasons people in Africa and Saudi Arabia aren't dying from air pollution. Maybe they're dying earlier from other causes?

David B.

Members who have read this thread: 0