Touring tire recommendations- Mtbr.com
    In the rear with the beer

Touring tire recommendations

Any recommendations on tires for a long road tour? I'm running 700x32 schwalbe ultra marathons on my surly LHT right now, which are bulletproof and great for communting, but want to consider something lighter for the longer tour...its all road too so I don't need anything too tough, although I would like to keep the flats to a minimum....

Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I don't want to sound snarky but it would seem to me that road bike review might be a better place to get tire recommendations for a long road tour.

achiever
    I've been running Continental Top Contact 700x32 on my Crosscheck I built up. Only have about 500 miles on them but I like them a lot so far. The tread is pretty deep on the sides but the center has a "strip" that is flat and rolls fast. Plenty cushy at 45psi on the pothole littered streets of my town and even at this pressure they roll surprisingly fast.

Ariolimax columbianus
    some of the specialized armadillo offerings look good....but for bombproof/durablity/price i think just soak up the weight and stick to some schwalbe's (yes i like ibob/rbw).

panaracer t servs too

bikes is bikes, ridin cross or mountain bikes on mixed terrain commute routes w/variable amounts of load is similar to touring to me.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    Any recommendations on tires for a long road tour? I'm running 700x32 schwalbe ultra marathons on my surly LHT right now, which are bulletproof and great for communting, but want to consider something lighter for the longer tour...its all road too so I don't need anything too tough, although I would like to keep the flats to a minimum....

Any recommendations?
    Are you carrying everything on your bike, or is it a sag tour? If you're going to be loaded down, I think you got the tire you want already on your bike.

Other suggestions, Rivendell Jack Brown, Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, Panaracer RibMo.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by 29Clyde
    I don't want to sound snarky but it would seem to me that road bike review might be a better place to get tire recommendations for a long road tour.
    I posted there too, but people on mtbr are usually more giving with information and less snarky...usually

Ovaries on the Outside
    I posted there too, but people on mtbr are usually more giving with information and less snarky...usually
    BOOM!

Paselas?

mtbr member
    I have had good luck with Passela Tour Guard Kevar belt with wire bead. They are a bit lighter than some, but weight savings is partly sidewall so they like pressure. Not cheap but not stratospheric. I am ordering the foldables for my new wheels. The foldable version got a lot of recommendations from the long distance riders I met last summer either as a main tire or as a good lightweight compact spare that they liked on the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Don't mean to jack your thread but I'm kinda in the same boat looking for a commute/touring tire for my 29er. Keeping the rotating weight down is important to me for obvious reasons. I'm looking at the Continental Contact Extra Light
    http://www.conti-online.com/generato...reflex_en.html
    They still have their "SafetySystem" puncture protection.
    What do you think of these?

master blaster
    most people always tour on 32-35mm tires.
    i plan to do road tours on 25mm tires unless someone convinces me to go fatter.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.
    :D

Ovaries on the Outside
    Yeah, I do 25s or 23s. A lot less onerous for uphills and headwinds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson
    some of the specialized armadillo offerings look good....but for bombproof/durablity/price i think just soak up the weight and stick to some schwalbe's (yes i like ibob/rbw).

panaracer t servs too

bikes is bikes, ridin cross or mountain bikes on mixed terrain commute routes w/variable amounts of load is similar to touring to me.

I second the Panaracer T Serv. Been using them on my single speed commuter that I tow a BOB trailer with and they have been great. 700x28 at 120 psi. I use them going to school and to work along the San Francisco peninsula (including the streets of SF). Mid peninsula its pretty mild for tire dangers, but up in the city, tons of glass and pot holes. These tires have had only a couple flats over the course of hundreds if not a thousand plus miles. Great wet weather traction too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Any recommendations?
    Panaracer Pasela Tour Guard 700x32. Fairly fast, fairly light and well-protected.

I ended up using the Panaracer RibMo's. They worked great! Good rolling, tough. Only frlat was a big metal nail that would have probably gotten thru anything. 521 miles, Cedar City, UT to Phoenix. I'm officially now a fan of these tires.

weirdo
    Cedar city- MMmmm. No blizzards between Utah and Flagstaff? Did you hit up any of the parks? PIXELS!

Zion and the Grand Canyon were on the route! Awesome places to ride. Blizzards no; but sandstorms yes....my wife actually tracked me down on the road and made me get in the car one day...potentially saving my a$$!!!!

I'll work on the pics!

weirdo
    Awesome- can`t wait!
    North rim, I assume? What route? Did your wife transport you on 89, or did you just grit your teeth and go for it?

jrm
    mtbr member

3rd rec t-serv FTW

Ive used my 32 and 28s on singletrack, gravel and dirt roads and the shltty streets of oakland. They roll fast and are durable enough. And @ ~$35~ MSRP theyre hard to beat.

Members who have read this thread: 0